Polyphonic parts for Missal Mass settings?
  • PLTT
    Are there any polyphonic parts (English preferred, but Latin as well) that could work with Sanctus XVIII and Agnus Dei XVIII for alternating chant and polphony? I would like to try use them with the missal setting for Advent. I'm trying to find a way of getting people used to the idea of polyphony, and the alternating chant-polyphony Kyrie has been quite successful.
  • Heath
    The late Calvert Shenk had composed some 4-pt settings of the Missa Jubilate Deo, though it can only be found in manuscript form, I believe. Susan Treacy at Ave Maria may be able to scan you a copy if you contact her. I can't remember how much of it was truly alternatim, but it was a very well-done setting in any case.
  • a_f_hawkins
    FWIW Cantica Nova sells a couple of settings by Calvert Shenk, they say of his Modal Mass
    The music flows quite freely from choir to congregation; the people's parts are easily sung.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    See the last 4 or so posts of this thread for some polyphonic parts to Mass XVIII: http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/comment/174084

If you do Mass XVII for Advent/Lent - it would be worth searching the CCWatershed blog for the de Morales polyphony to the final "Hosanna in excelsis" of the Sanctus.
  • Chaswjd
    Why don't you look at the Victoria Requiem for 4 voices? It seems to use chant or a chant paraphrase in the soprano.
  • rich_enough
    Here is a direct link to the alternatim mass referred to by CCooze. You could (conceivably) replace the chant of the Kyrie (Mass XVII) with the Kyrie from Mass XVI (as in Jubilate Deo). The Sanctus and Agnus already have the simple chant (Mass XVIII).
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist