Benediction
  • I've always been led to believe that the only hymn required at Benediction was the Tantum ergo, and that the others (O salutaris Hostia, the Adoremus, etc.) could be substituted with some other item deemed to be suitable. However, this seems not to be the case as Liturgy Office England and Wales says 'other hymns are possible.'

If this is the case, from where did I get the impression that Tantum ergo MUST be sung?

Many thanks,
    Nachthorn.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • chonakchonak
    The Rite of Eucharistic Worship Outside Mass lists, in addition to Tantum Ergo:
    Pange, lingua, gloriosi
    Sacris sollemniis
    Verbum supernum
    Jesu, Nostra Redemptio
    Aeterne Rex Altissime
    Lauda, Sion (full or shortened)
    Adoro Te Devote
    and
    Ubi Caritas.
    Also, there is a note referring readers to the Liturgy of the Hours for further chants.

Some of these are in the chant anthology "Cantus Selecti"
    http://media.musicasacra.com/books/cantus_selecti.pdf
  • a_f_hawkins
    'Cantus Selecti' only gives Tantum Ergo, in various settings, in the section 'Ante Benedictionem', which suggests that it was the only choice in 1957. The rubrics seem to imply that, but my Latin is not adequate to be sure.
  • Thanks to you both for clearing this up for me! It seems I've been brought up on pre-Vatican II rubrics...
  • tomjaw
    I think the idea that the Tantum Ergo must be sung is that it ends with a V and R and prayer, this is an integral part of Traditional Benediction.

Has a new version of the Manual of Prayers for Benediction been written?

In the U.K. Benediction is very common, but I have only seen the Traditional form, modern places just have Exposition and forget Benediction!
  • That the "Tantum Ergo" would be the only required hymn at Benediction may come from the practice of "40 Hour Devotion" and contemporary all night Adoration. In these cases, the "O Salutaris Hostia" is sung immediately after the exposition. Then follows the period of Adoration. When that is over, then the priest returns to the Sanctuary and the "Tantum Ergo" is sung, with the V & R. After the actual Benediction, the Divine Praises are said or sung, and the "Adoremus" is usually said but can be sung. Then there can be a closing hymn and the priest and servers retire.
  • tomjaw
    We always sing the Adoremus... I have never heard it said. Mostly the Divine praises are said in English (In England), but it is also not uncommon to hear them sung in Latin.