Just For Fun: Should Viri Probati Be Ordained In The West?
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    This has been mentioned somewhat out of hand in different discussions. What do you think? Should proven married men be able to be ordained to the priesthood in addition to the diaconate? Why should it be so? If so, how can we maintain the understanding of celibacy as the primary model for the priesthood?

As a corollary, why do Traditional Catholics tend to be against the diaconal ordination of married men? Is it a dislike of new practice, clericalism, or something else? (Not to sound negative, I'm just curious to know) Is it the same for Ordinariate or Pastoral provision married priests?
  • MatthewRoth
    Because the West rightly rejected the Quinisext Council and instead of tolerating and eventually embracing married clergy, the West reinforced celibacy. There also is a problem in that no restrictions on marital intercourse are in the law, at least for priests, according to Canon 277. I embrace Ordinariate/former Anglicans as an exception. So, see my answer to (2) for (1).
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • chonakchonak
    Matthew, was that a typo? Canon 277, with its reference to "complete continence", does have that restriction.

On the bigger question: having a lot of priests with less theological education could lead to a class distinction among the clergy. It happens de facto in some Orthodox churches, and of course the Latin Church used to have the institution of the "priest simplex" authorized to say Mass but not preach or hear confessions.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Just For Fun: Should Viri Probati Be Ordained In The West?

Is the discussion just for fun?
    Or are you suggesting ordination, just for fun?
  • If we make a practice of ordaining men, here in the West, with all our emasculated men, will that finally make Frances Quisling happy?
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • MatthewRoth
    Sorry. Working without references in front of me. I was under the impression that priests, in that canon or elsewhere, are exempted. Anyways, Ed Peters is right on both the law and the history, the latter even if he’s wrong about the law, though I don’t think he is.

Simplex priests are a great idea, actually.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • About Ordinariate priests: the rule is that Anglican priests who are already married may be (after due discernment and formation) ordained Roman Catholic priests. None may marry or re-marry after becoming Roman Catholic priests.

As for the Pastoral Provision of John Paul II, which was mentioned above, it has been effectively superseded by Benedict's Ordinariate. The Anglican Use remains for those few parishes which have opted not to join the Ordinariate but to remain diocesan parishes, e.g., Atonement, in San Antonio. The rules governing marriage and celibacy are in force for all former Anglicans.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Matthew, that seems reasonable. I'm not sure I'm convinced that matters of discipline must be held to the same standard as dogmatic teaching or liturgy. But I don't know.

The class difference between celibate and married priests is an interesting point. I can't see how a priest simplex could work now, since the homily is de facto mandatory in most places.

Haha, let's go with the former, Adam. Ordination for kicks seems a bit much.

Is Frances Quisling advocating women's ordination? I usually hear it the other way, that seminaries attract emasculated men who don't mind celibacy or something? Problematic in thinking, but there are definitely emasculate men in and out of the priesthood. But how much of the perception is based on arbitrary notions of masculinity, such as not being sensitive or artistic, or even spiritual? There's also the idea that if you're interested in theology or spirituality as a guy, you /must/ be supposed to be a priest, because girls are normally more spiritual. So if you're a guy and spiritual, it's a waste to not be a priest. Thus I, along with many like minded friends were often pressured to become priests. Not that encouragement isn't good, but pressure isn't. Also, the way young adults are taught to discern is pretty problematic. Sorry for text wall. Thanks for your responses.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Jackson, is there not a clause which says future married men Ordinariate members may be put forth by the Ordinary as candidates for ordination on a case by case basis?
  • MatthewRoth
    I am not so sure it is merely discipline...

I think that we place too much emphasis on the homily. We would have better preachers if the liturgy was more robustly celebrated…

Some former Anglicans are still joining a diocese,e.g. Fr. Farrow of Arundel and Brighton. The norms for marriage in the case of former Anglicans after ordination are the same as for all priests.

I thought that Pope Benedict specifically limited married men to those coming directly from Anglicanism and ministry as Anglican priests and not those raised as Catholics, e.g. the children of the same.
  • stulte
    Vilyanor - if one is discerning their vocation, traditionally there are some rules for going about that. This site lists those given by St. Alphonsus Liguori: http://orderofpreachersvocations.blogspot.com/2013/06/how-to-know-your-vocation-by-st.html

Part of what it says includes this:
    In general, the following are the principal signs of a true vocation:

1. A good intention; that is, the intention to embrace such a state only to please God and to arrive more surely at the haven of salvation.
    2. a) the inclination and b) the aptitude to exercise the duties proper to this state.
    3. a) the knowledge of the duties that this state imposes, and the b) firm will to fulfill them till the end.
    4. that there is no grave impediment, such as the great poverty in which one might leave one's father or one's mother.
    5. the favorable advice of a wise director.

So, to answer your question about whether ordaining married men to the priesthood is a good idea, I would say it's *generally* a bad idea. I do personally know a married priest and I don't know how he lives the dual role. It's demanding to say the least. Plus, what if the priest's wife dies while he has young children to care for? Moreover, we have the example of Christ Himself being celibate to follow. There's a lot more to this question, but that's enough for the moment to spur additional discussion here I think.
  • Vilyanor -
    I have heard nothing like what would be a positive answer to your question. Like the orthodox, it is needful to be married before becoming a priest, which isn't to suggest that one can 'hurry up and get married' and then get to be a priest - I'm sure that such a situation would not be viewed friendlily.

If you learn of anything to the contrary it would be news to me. Perhaps I'll ask Fr Hough, our cathedral rector, this Sunday.

As I read Stulte's offering just above, particularly the nos. 3 and 4, dealing with knowledge and understanding, will to fulfill, and no grave impediments - is there, as in marriage, a manner of 'nullifying' what wasn't a true sacrament to begin with due to improper intent, willful obstruction, improper comprehension, and so forth? I've never heard that there is, but it just crossed my mind whilst reading the above. Of course, priests may be defrocked for a variety of reasons, which, oddly, do not include paedophilia or other forms of gravely depraved immoratlity and so on. As we know, the Donatist controversy's results provide a rather large and comfortable fig leaf - comfortable for some priests, that is!
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • Liam
    Matrimony in the Roman tradition is an unusual sacrament because there are two ministers and two potential subjective states of mind to bring validity into question. The potential to nullify Orders is whittled down to the bone to avoid bringing the question of validity of others sacraments (especially by bishops) performed into question - courtesy of the wisdom gained from witnessing what Donatism wrought in North Africa.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I know of a man who felt called to the priesthood, but instead went to work to support his widowed mother and younger siblings, married and raised a family. After reaching retiring age he trained for, and was ordained to, the permanent diaconate(sic). Shortly thereafter, his wife died and his parish priest successfully petitioned the bishop for him to be further trained and ordained priest. I have the impression that the exception was made partly because the diocese had evidence that his vocation had been discerned while he was a teenager. If his wife had died earlier he could have gone directly to the priesthood, and if she were still alive he would still be a deacon, but would his wife's life or death really have made a significant difference to his capacity for his ministry?
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • eft94530eft94530
    Show me the money.
    For family and house and possessions and college and retirement.
    How many proponents are going to double or triple their tithes?
    Thanked by 2Salieri CharlesW
  • a_f_hawkins
    Certainly finding money for an adequately paid career and married life would be a problem, but the example I gave was of someone who has a pension and possessions and grown family already. It is quite common in the Church of England for such people to become non-stipendiary ministers on retirement. The training requirement for Catholics is, I think, greater than for Anglicans, and we would not get a great number of years of service from such people, but I think we could afford that. Incidentally the first Mass I served, 65 years ago, was for a recently ordained priest who had entered a monastery after a long and successful career as as a surgeon.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • Liam
    More importantly, in a geographically large diocese, married secular priests are not going to be readily transferable if their wives are still working or caring for elderly parents/family....

As a *practical* matter (putting theological matters aside), ordaining celibate women would involve less change to parish life than married men.
  • ...(putting theological matters aside)...

...which, let us hope, is unthinkable.
  • eft94530eft94530
    ordaining [...] women

Saint John Paul II said that this matter is closed.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • a_f_hawkins
    I think we should first heal the rift with the Orthodox churches, and then the matter of female ministry can be properly discussed by an Ecumenical Council.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • stulte
  • tsoapm
    Saint John Paul II said that this matter is closed.
    Exactly: it’s a theological matter that’s been put aside rather forcefully.
  • MatthewRoth
    The way the Institute of Christ the King handles vocations to the minor and two lower degrees of major orders is what should be normal in dioceses, and that should include married minor clerics per Trent XXIII...no need for married priests, and making the clerks church employees would solve a lot of problems.
  • CharlesW
    In the eastern churches, married men may be ordained as priests and are never eligible to become bishops. A single man who is ordained may never marry and could become a bishop. However, there is another distinction. Married clergy are similar to western diocesan priests. The bishops are monastics. Is having married priests any kind of problem? Not that I have noticed.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Eft and Hawkins, is money necessarily that big of an issue? If they had somewhat less duties or obligations than ordinary priests, they could probably get along just fine doing what married deacons currently do. Maybe I'm being unrealistic.

Liam, yeah, I think they would have to be incardinated to a parish like deacons or pastoral provision priests are.

Matthew, could you elaborate on how the ICRSS handles vocations?

Charles, I wonder though if the difference in theological emphases in East and West would tolerate wholesale allowance of married priests. Since we don't tend to have the overall emphasis on monastic life, but instead generally on the celibate secular priest, such a change seems too jarring.

A possible way of handling it could be that married men could be chosen from among the Diaconal candidates at the discretion of the bishop to continue to priestly ordination, and if necessary it could be more of a situation where you're invited rather than petitioning for it yourself.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • eft94530eft94530
    is money necessarily that big of an issue?

This forum has had Plenty of posts over the years from musicians
    who express no small worry about making ends meet,
    and the matter grows in importance as your solo life becomes a married one,
    and begins to include children.

If you are talking about married ordained clergy,
    how does the matter disappear?

Or are you implying different financial treatment?

What is the parish getting for the money?

Ontological comments to /dev/null please.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The only way married priests could become mainstream (that is, outside of former Anglicans, former Orthodox, and Eastern Riters) is if a new model of bivocational ministry grew up to support it.

One could imagine parishes that are already dealing with lay-led administration and weekend-only drive-by clergy would benefit from having a small coterie of part-time priests to say Mass.

One could also imagine this being a terrible idea with a lot of unintended (but wholly predictable) consequences.
  • stulte
    One of the things to remember about this topic is that, when married men were ordained deacons and priests in the Latin Church in the past (and in the East until after their Council in Trullo), they were required to live a Josephite marriage going forward. Unless I'm quite mistaken, this could be done again without compromising Tradition.
    Pragmatically speaking, in parishes with 1 or no priests, moving a family into a rectory might not be that challenging.
  • MatthewRoth
    The Council in Trullo was rejected in the West. They should have buckled down in the East, but they didn’t.

The Institute’s oblates are analagous to cooperator brothers, but they are treatrd as minor clerics after getting the cassock. The goal is that many if not all, or at least younger ones or those who can learn French, will study at the seminary and receive minor orders, if not subdiaconate and diaconate if they study theology. All dioceses and churches should have men in minor orders, allowing those below subdeacon to marry if their vocation is not to major orders. Married men might also be chosen for minor orders. They should do the work for which they are trained or apt for the church. Oblates of the Institute do this already. Some are sacristans, bulletin editors, prefects of candidates, groundskeepers, construction supervisors, etc.

This is what the diaconate for those without priestly vocations used to be and ought to be like…
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • CharlesW
    In the west, for any practical purposes, there are no minor orders. I haven't seen any desire to reestablish them from Rome. The marriage thing is discipline, not doctrine, and a pope could change requirements for the west at will.
  • Charles,

and a pope could change requirements for the west at will.

Evidence to the contrary: Pope Francis hasn't actually changed it in an airline presser.
  • CharlesW
    He could, and I think I remember something from JP II indicating as much. It is tradition in the west, but that is a low barrier to overcome if a pope decides to make those changes.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    In response to the OP. Just for fun - NO.
  • NO.

Well, that's that!
    And no beating about the bush, either!
  • CharlesW
    The one thing I am sure of is that the pope will not ask any of us what we think. ;-)
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    MJO, I've been decribed as a bull in a china closet (although, in all fairness, I think that's being too hard on the bull!) :-)
  • stulte
    The one thing I am sure of is that the pope will not ask any of us what we think. ;-)

That's OK. There's always social media as a place to gripe about what he does after the fact. ;-)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    I think there's reports of Francis saying that it would have to come form the Bishops' conferences, which is good. At the very least, let's not take the ultramontane approach.
  • MatthewRoth
    It isn’t just discipline, hence we rejected Trullo…
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Well, historically, the one of the reasons was that married parish priests were leaving church property to their sons as an inheritance.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Well, historically, the one of the reasons was that married parish priests were leaving church property to their sons as an inheritance.

Many of the clergy, particularly the "higher-ups," were from the nobility. The eldest son inherited the property, so what was left for the other noble children? They couldn't work so that left the Church, which is where many of them ended up. Rejecting married priests wasn't necessarily for any high of holy purposes, but self interest on the part of the Church at the time.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • a_f_hawkins
    I spent a number of hours a few years ago looking through the register of papal correspondance with the British/Irish church in the middle ages. Every so often I found a dispensation for somebody wanting to be ordained despite illegitimacy, nearly half these dispensations included the condition that they should not inherit their father's benefice .
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Liam
    Charles

Traditionally: first son inherits, second son got a military/naval commission, third son a clerical benefice - with the seniority//bounty of the latter two being dependent on the relative standing of the family, though high clerical office often enough landed in the lap of a lowborn person.

Back during the reign of Henry VIII, the richest sees in England were Winchester, Durham and Canterbury (followed by Ely, Lincoln (the largest diocese by area) and Wells) - their annual income exceeded the annual wages of 2000 ordinary laborers (at a time when daily wage of an ordinary laborer was a pence; about 1 pound 6 shillings annual income). (The modern equivalent value based on per capita GDP (there are other measures) would be over 40 million pounds.) Hence Wolsey and Gardiner....
  • CharlesW
    I was thinking more of France, but a similar situation existed throughout Europe.