NT Canticle in Gregorian Sunday Vespers during Lent?
  • RobertRobert
    The Ordo Cantus Officii lists three antiphons for second vespers on each Sunday in Lent rather than the usual three. I gather that this is because there can be no "Alleluia" response for the New Testament Canticle, so an antiphon is to be sung before and after instead.

My question is, what is this canticle? Is it "Christus passus est" as in the Liturgia Horarum, sung according to psalm tones to match the antiphon? I would feel fairly certain of this, except that the Antiphonale Monasticum provides for the continued singing of "Salus et Gloria" throughout Lent, albeit with the antiphon "Ecce Ascendimus" rather than the Alleluia response. Is that just a monastic thing, or is it indicative of preferred practice for the sung Roman office as well?
  • dvalerio
    > rather than the usual three

I guess you mean the usual two.

> Is it "Christus passus est" as in the Liturgia Horarum

As far as I know yes.

> the Antiphonale Monasticum provides for the continued singing of "Salus et Gloria" throughout Lent

As far as I know the OCO provides hymns, antiphons, etc. for the Roman Office, leaving the distribution of psalms and canticles untouched. (The only exception I've found is the NT canticle of the 2nd Vespers of August 6, which however is preserved e.g. in the 1st Vespers of Epiphany.)

If I am wrong I will gladly stand corrected.