Starting lessons with local organ prof next week, on this instrument. Anyone play one?
  • I'm beyond excited to be moving in a serious direction with my career as an organist. This organ is located at the cathedral downtown, and is probably not anything like the Rodgers I have at work. I went there a few weeks ago to hear a recital that featured Jean Langlais's music...impressive stuff but not my personal cup of tea, but overall it was a good experience for me to see what this organ is capable of. The professor is the music director there and gives lessons there most of the time. Anything I should know before I touch this thing?? I'm nervous lol!

http://database.organsociety.org/SingleOrganDetails.php?OrganID=23774
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • CharlesW
    Looks nice! Just follow your professor's directions and you will be fine.
  • canadashcanadash
    You can't break it!
    Looks like it has some interesting solo stops.
    Have fun!
  • Godspeed in your studies!
    (And, don't give up on Langlais. I don't know how advanced you are, but several things in his Ten Easy Pieces might be within your grasp.)
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • kevinfkevinf
    Yes, his Chant de Paix (Song of Peace) from Neuf Pieces is really beautiful. It was the first piece of Langlais I learned.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Haha thanks everyone, and I haven't written off Langlais-just not sure at all what to think of him yet LOL! I'll start small...
  • There are a couple of little choral things I'd love to do, but $5/page/copy is a bit steep.
  • francis
    had two exactly like it at Sts Phillip and James and Our Lady of Angels in Baltimore...if it's what I think it is it's a fat and tubby sounding French romantic. Fun.
  • BruceL
    Phelps Casavant. Should sound just fine in that acoustic if it sounds like it looks!
  • Looks like it'd be fun to play. Enjoy your lessons, and making music!
  • It's got a tremendous sound but not overwhelming (unless you want it to be), and the acoustics are beautiful there. Tuesday cannot get here soon enough!!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen