Call for papers: "Music: Its Theologies and Spiritualities—A Global Perspective"
  • chonakchonak
    A scholarly journal of religious studies sent us a call for papers for a special issue they are planning:

/Religions/ (ISSN 2077-1444, http://www.mdpi.com/journal/religions) is currently running a Special Issue "Music: Its Theologies and Spiritualities—A Global Perspective" which is guest edited by Prof. Dr. Edward Foley of Catholic Theological Union.

"Music, spirituality and theology are vast fields of study, each expanding in terms of methods and fields of inquiry at a virtually
    incalculable rate. This rapid expansion, however, is also the opportunity for new and unexplored intersections between these
    traditionally related fields...."

For further reading, please visit the Special Issue website:
    http://www.mdpi.com/journal/religions/special_issues/Its_theologies_spiritualities

The manuscript delivery deadline is 8 October 2017.
  • Ted
    Yikes, there are fees involved! If your essay gets accepted, you will be asked to pay around $300 US for its publication, and possibly another $250 US to change its formatting. So unless you are part of an institution that can absorb the cost, be prepared to pay this!
  • I published an article in a previous issue of this journal, and was able to get the publication fee waved. It's worth asking if you're potentially interested. I do have some reservations about the pay to to publish model, though in general, my experience with this journal was good.

www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/5/4/961
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    re: pay to publish

There is a potential for abuse (vanity publishing). On the other hand, I consider the practice of walling off good research with a pay-to-read model downright unethical (not to mention deadly).

I think scholarly journals that want to permit open access are still trying to figure out a workable economic model. We should support the experimentation.
  • Pay?
    They should be paying those whose work they are soliciting!

What's that saying about was it paying in XIXth century Russia?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • mahrt
    Note also, that this is an online journal.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ghmus7
    Well, just send your paper to Sacred Music.
  • This journal is free to read, but somebody has to pay for it. Sacred Music becomes free to read after a few months, but all CMAA members contribute towards its costs, unless the parish pays for you. I agree strongly with Adam Wood about the evils of publishers demanding enormous sums for access to research.
  • Darn :( For a second I got excited, this would be a great chance for me to publish some of my research... don't get calls like this very often. But hundreds of dollars are totally out of the question.