• Is there such a thing as a key weight specifically designed for the organ? Something that would allow the player to hold down a key as in a pedal point without having to couple down to the pedal or where such coupling is not possible?

I've seen it mentioned a few times in scores, but I have not been able to find such a device. Does any sufficiently heavy object that doesn't damage the keyboard suffice?

I've known of organist to wedge pencils into the keyboard to accomplish the same think, but this seems at least potentially harmful.
  • eft94530eft94530
    AGO console specifications
    www.savetheorgan.org/kbase/ago_specs/agoconsole.pdf
    Key weight = 3.25 ounces to 3.75 ounces
    Width of playing surface of natural keys = 7/8 inch to 15/16 inch

Metal shop scrap
    Marble shop scrap
    Paper weight
    Scale weight ( http://www.grainger.com )

Hardware store (Ace, Home Depot, etc)
    square head bolt and a few square nuts.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • The actual weight will vary quite a bit for trackers with couplers. I bought a bag of wooden clothespins at the dollar store and dismantled them into wedges to use for Ligeti's Etude.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • I've used piano technicians' rubber wedge mutes, such as this.

dB
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • All better than pencils.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • A small stone of sufficient weight would certainly have a certain 'character' about it. As for Richard's concern, yes, certain trackers with couplers might require multiple stones. (Then there are those leaden weights that fishermen use to sink their hooks.)
  • The note in question is a sharp (or flat, depending on how you look at it), so the wedge idea would probably work best at least for the piece in question.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I've only ever used pencils, so these are all good suggestions for me, too.
  • I rather like someone's suggestion of clothes pin halves. With a little sanding and maybe painted or varnished, they seem 'made for the task'.
  • JesJes
    It's been said but yeah pencil, if you can't fit one in then I can recommend using a sloped door stop that's cut the width of the key, I screw a screw into the big end so I have a handle with which to yank it out.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/111807980866?lpid=107&chn=ps
    Similar to the piano one but 4 for price of 1!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Roll of pennies.