Duet for the 6th Sunday in OT?
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    The quartet I sing in is scheduled for the 6th Sunday but we will be missing our bass and alto. I've seen 3- and 4-part polyphony, but does anybody have suggestions for an offertory duet? While our soprano is quite good, I am merely an average parish tenor.
  • There is a set of twelve motetes for two equal voices by Orlandus Lassus. I could think of nothing better for such limited resources. They are each about two minutes in duration, not lengthy, and are wonderful both to sing and to hear.
  • Pes
    Why not take a triadic-sounding chant, identify points at which the melody could beautifully diverge from a pedal tone, and, as you both sing the same text at the same time, go with that? Moments of light drone and arcs of melody. The drones could shift. This is a very old form of diaphony and can sound quite beautiful.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Jackson, thanks for the suggestion! I found these:
    http://www.laymusic.org/music/bicinia/motets/motets.pdf

They're either SA or TB, but some may work.

Pes,
    A fellow teacher at my school improved a low drone when we sang Ave Maris Stella at a school mass earlier this year. It was lovely, though I'm uncertain of the technique. I'm afraid I can open the file you attached, do you have another format?