English Chant, Richard Rice
  • Richard R.
    My plainsong settings of the chants of the modern Roman Rite are now complete and available for free PDF download at Lulu.com. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Volume 1: Chants between the Readings
    Volume 2: Entrance, Communion and Ritual Antiphons (RM2011), and Offertory Chants (RM1964)
  • I'll be trying these out on my choir, Richard. Thanks.
  • Thank you, much appreciated.
  • Thanks to Richard's seamless generosity, I've used these settings for two years in my parish. They are beautiful and practical in every way. There's no better resource available for singing the Mass Propers in English.
  • BenBen
    Definitely putting these in my Dropbox folder for future use!
  • From a cursory look-over, this seems an eminently practical collection! A nice companion to Bruce Ford’s for situations that either demand fidelity to approved texts or have different musical needs than what Ford’s collection satisfies.
  • -b
    Question for Richard Rice: Your Mass of St. Theodore is very nice. Why, though, does it have a 9-fold Kyrie?
    Background: I'm just starting to work with a small parish that wants me to lead them in an upgrade of the music for the Novus Ordo Mass. For the last decade I've led the choir at my own parish that sings the EF Mass--all Latin. Looking in various resources for a chant-type English ordinary, I had happily settled on proposing your Mass of St. Theodore to introduce in this new parish. But when I showed it to them today, the organist immediately noticed the 9-fold Kyrie. That's not in accordance with the rubrics of the OF Mass, is it?
  • 9-fold Kyrie is permitted in the OF.
  • WGS
    9-fold Kyrie (in Greek) for the E.F.

9-fold or 6-fold Kyrie (in Greek or vernacular) for the O.F.

If the celebrant or someone is looking for a call and response setting of the Kyrie in the O.F., use a 6-fold setting.
    Thanked by 2Ben CHGiffen
  • Richard R.
    In any event, it has always been permissible, within reason, to use occasional textual repeats for musical purposes. David Hurd did this for his Music for Celebration, 1979, with each "three-fold" petition being repeated. The same could certainly be done with mine, if you need the effect of call and response. I do wonder at the hyper-rubricism that would make an offense out of an extra iteration of "Lord have mercy."
  • davido
    Do the responsorial psalms in this collection correspond to your psalms on the Chabanel Psalms website?

These collections are wonderful, thank you for making them available!
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • Richard R.
    The RPs are revisions and, in some cases, replacements for those on Chabanel, with verses in strict Gregorian Office tones.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen RedPop4
  • -b
    Thank you for your response, Richard. I have been working with the EF for the last 9 years, and am just starting to learn about the musical ins and outs of the OF Mass. It's a wonderful opportunity for me now to be asked to lead a small parish that wants to improve their music towards the rich musical treasury that all of you CMAA folks have opened up.
  • JoAnna
    I'm getting "page not found" on these links. Are they available somewhere else now?
  • chonakchonak
    I don't know offhand: you can drop him an e-mail and ask. His address is on this page:
    https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/rrice999
  • Richard R.
    I am preparing a new edition, and will let you know when it is available.

RR
  • davido
    Is this new edition still in the works?
  • Yes, pending publication by ILP (I think). Is there something particular that you need?

RR
    Thanked by 4CHGiffen chonak Bri Kathy
  • davido
    That is exciting news! I have your pdf files from 2016 and was thinking getting them in hard copy, but I will look forward to their publication.
  • Is the revised setting of the antiphons for the washing of feet on Holy Thursday available yet?
  • Richard R.
    I post it here as a preview.

RR
    Thanked by 4Nisi Kathy Heath Bri