Choral Missal, Richard Rice
  • Richard R.
    My SATB settings of the antiphons from The Roman Missal (2010/11) are now complete and available for free PDF download at Lulu.com. I appreciate any and all feedback.
  • KyleM18
    Lively debate surrounds the issue, but it seems clear to me that the mind of the Church intends these Missal antiphons to be sung in some fashion.

Definitely debatable, although I must say it is a good collection at first glance. I must commend you for adding offertory antiphons from RM 1964 (I take it this was the one only approved for the US?), as the current missal is lacking.
  • JonLaird
    Richard,

The amount of excellent compositions, arrangements, and editions you have published for little to no monetary compensation to yourself is staggering.

This collection is right about where my choir is. Though your compositional mark is certainly present throughout (in some places more than others), stylistically several pieces which I have just spot-checked at random are reminiscent to my ear of the English tradition. My choir enjoys the simpler mostly-homophonic settings of Morley, Wood, et al., so these pieces will very much appeal to them.

Including the offertories with verses from the Triplex is also a big plus!

The chant propers you mention in a separate post offer a refreshing alternative to the existing settings. Again, the fact that you have taken the time to
    -set the text
    -painstakingly point the verses
    -include seamless accompaniments
    -explain notation and proper performance practice
    -put (for the first time) needed effort into the Gospel acclamation verses, which in most places are an awkward "throw-away" musical element either sidelined altogether or overshadowed by a bombastic refrain
    -do all of these for almost every Mass that most parish musical directors will encounter
    -post it all here for free

....is amazing.

Thank you also for continuing to use authentic Gregorian psalm tones. The myriad newly-composed psalm tones supposedly designed for the English language are never quite up to snuff in my opinion; they tend to be faddish and lack the interior robustness of the Gregorian ones.

Jon
  • Dear Richard, I use your music for trebles a lot. Would you consider writing more music for trebles (or TTB) ?
    Greetings, Dirk Maes, Belgium
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist