Internet Annoyances for us Classical musicians
  • Doesn't it irritate you when you search for, say "TTBB" and it gives you results that are SATB because Google thinks SATB and TTBB are the same? The pain...
  • francis
    Google takes your search and gives you what IT wants you to find
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The title of the thread reminds me of my family's Twilight Zone experience yesterday. We took our dogs for a walk around Babylon Lake (Ad Flumina Babylonis) and before long were surrounded by more than a hundred silent, zombie-like creatures of all ages with wires in their ears and phones glued to their hands. Summoned there by an internet god, they were rapidly congregating and filing in from all directions. Even the police were present, presumably to keep hapless individuals from being run over as they crossed the street, oblivious to traffic.

This was obviously my first experience witnessing the Pokemon Go phenomenon, but it made me very much appreciate two carefree young fellows with fishing rods and no electronic gadget in sight. I sure hope this fad has a short shelf life. It's downright creepy being in a crowd of humans who are being remotely controlled.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You might put TTBB in quotes in the Google search box ... "TTBB" ... this instructs Google to look for an exact match. Of course, Google may be cranky and ignore that instruction.
  • francis
    JulieColl

I also experienced the exact same thing in Ellicott City a few weeks ago. Twilight zone was exactly the experience. Mind control en masse.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Whenever I look into the post comments on Facebook pages like I'm Fed Up with Bad Church Music or Facebook Organists Association I can physically feel my hair turning white.
  • CharlesW
    We have two Pokemon stops at church - one in front of the main entrance, and one in front of the Our Lady of Grace statue in the parking lot. I have seen those zombies.
  • I, being young, thankfully have never picked up Pokemon Go and I don't plan to either after what I have seen.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Good for you, Noiesdas, for using your higher thinking skills! My kids became very turned off by the cell phone phenomenon a few years ago. They would come home from social outings in disbelief that the rest of their friends had spent the entire evening absorbed in their phones. I remember going to a restaurant to pick up my daughter after a movie, and she was sitting at the table looking around by herself (almost in tears) while the rest of the kids around the table sat staring at their screens. (Been there myself with my own fellow mom friends.)
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • CharlesW
    I, being young, thankfully have never picked up Pokemon Go and I don't plan to either after what I have seen.

Really! I have enough trouble chasing down and corralling choir zombies on Sunday mornings to worry about catching imaginary monsters. ;-)
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Haha. Pokemon Go. I don't have it, but I have noticed people finding things/places in the city that they never knew existed before playing that game and clicking on the picture of the Poke-stops.
    We had a deacon complain about our church being a Poke-stop, but perhaps it at least made people in town realize we have a lovely basilica that has Civil War history who may never have been down that street before.

But yes, Google will manage to somehow ignore quotation marks - but sometimes I think it's because the jerk publishers put all sorts of tags on the works to make them more-easily found. What I hate is finding arrangements online that look nothing like what recordings sound like.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • SalieriSalieri
    We have two Pokemon stops

What builder?
    Thanked by 3melofluent eft94530 Jes
  • CharlesW
    Hammond, probably. LOL. Needless to say, I am not a Pokemon player. But I know about it.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Hammond, probably.

In fact, with Hammond, you can create your own Pokemon by using the sliders on the outside of the Pokeball.
  • Though I've both heard and seen it
    I haven't the foggiest what this (P-word) is.
    Please, don't anyone tell me.
  • I think it's like a newfangled Jigga Pet or a Tamagouchy.

Apparently, one of the auxiliaries of Detroit wrote a letter about all these "go"ings-on. He told priests to be careful about all these underage children being on church property because of potential lawsuits. Because, you know, that doesn't reinforce the non-Catholic's view of the Church at all.
  • Spriggo
    Pokemon Go will cease being a thing when winter hits.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • eft94530eft94530
    Pokemon Go will cease being a thing

Thankfully my parish and school has not seen any such visitors.
    We are at one end of a block and the other end has two churches.
    One installed a Pokemon bench with white poster board sign.

when winter hits.

For those of us who live where there are no seasons,
    Does that coincide with some
    Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) Apocalypse?
    I have not searched YouTube recently for these kinds of things.
    The 2015 Blood Moon debacle so disappointed me.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    " I can physically feel my hair turning white."

You have hair. A Te Deum is in order....
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Hair today, gone tomorrow!
  • Liam
    It's the reverse of birthday candles.

Mind you, everyone's supposed to get a special greeting card from Mother Nature on their 35th birthday wishing them well, and advising that the warranty on their body parts has expired.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • francis
    Liam

Hmmmm.... I am doing pretty good on that account, I guess. Just got back from biking about 10 miles.
  • eft94530eft94530
    special greeting card from Mother Nature on their 35th birthday

On my 30th birthday a straight silver hair
    finally revealed itself above the black curlies
    at the top back of my head.

That was 8+ years before Pokemon existed.

Google and Youtube seem to tune themselves
    to give the prevailing statistical favorites,
    despite my efforts to be accurate and to quote.
    I say give me what I asked for, and put your guesses after those.

Just imagine, Google could teach people how to spell,
    if they were not rewarded for their ignorance or stupidity.
    But noooo.

Now I must google to find out if a Curmudgeon pokemon card exists.