C. S. Lewis, Latin, Greek, (and Tradition?)
  • dad29
    The well-learned Fr. Hunwicke finds this item in C S Lewis' "Screwtape."

"Since we [devils] cannot deceive the whole human race all the time, it is most important thus to cut every generation off from all others; for where learning makes a free commerce between the ages there is always the danger that the characteristic errors of one may be corrected by the characteristic truths of another."

That was specifically in reference to education in Latin and Greek.

But one could extend that frame of reference to Tradition, no? A good deal of blood has been shed (metaphorically, so far) on the question of 'traditional' Mass, 'traditional' orientation of the priest thereat, 'traditional' music (of which the primary tradition is Chant, of course), and even the use of 'traditional' Latin.

We are also acquainted with what Benedict XVI warned about: an irruptionary tendency, or in more colloquial terms 'All liturgical history began with SC of VII.'

Dare we link Screwtape's command to 'cut every generation off from others' to the malaise of the day?
  • We might.
    But, also,
    we should not overlook
    that the pre-VII era
    had serious problems of its own,
    and that reform was
    in some measure
    needed,
    and needed badly.
    It was not
    heaven on earth
    or anything like unto it.
    Likewise,
    it
    should not be overlooked
    that the horrid
    ligurgical mayhem
    which followed the council
    was not envisioned by its fathers.
    In fact, one might well argue
    that
    something
    on the order of
    the current Ordinariate Use
    and praxis
    expresses more or less
    what may have been in their minds.
    We are well-counseled
    to be informed by tradition
    but not to be dumb
    imitators of the same,
    craven apers of outward signs,
    whose parameters of thought and
    living
    bind us as living prisoners
    of ways which are no longer
    bearing fruit -
    lest we choose a year
    in the past
    (say, the year A.D. 586...
    that's as good as any)
    and require that nothing is
    of value
    that wasn't heard of in that year,
    that no thought ought to be cogitated upon
    that would contradict
    what was then thought to be
    of
    eternal merit -
    but isn't.

May tradition
    and Tradition
    hold sway always;
    may they be prized
    and cherished
    as teachers
    and informers
    of wise men's minds and ways -
    but not
    as millstones
    that we carry about,
    ignorant of
    why they are there.

Perhaps we could say
    that tradition
    similar is to a sacrament
    (or, better said, a sacramental)
    in that it
    may be an outward sign
    of
    an inward
    and spiritual grace.
    If there is no
    apparent,
    discernible grace,
    it is as
    a hollow crown.

Someone once, it may have been Yves Congar in Tradition and Traditions, who likened tradition to the enfranchisement of our ancestors. I like this. It is a much needed concept in our day (at least in 'the Western World') in which blood lines, ancestor knowledge, kinship, elder respect, historic social bonds, the nuclear family, true philo-sophy (love of wisdom and learning), and such have lost their meaning and value in a 'culture' that is increasingly 'now', 'future', partisan and youth oriented, fractured into a thousand constituencies; which consciously (and, as in academe, systematically) disenfranchises our ancestors as if we have derived but a token this and that from them. The notion that we have little, if anything, to learn from the denizens of the mediaeval era (be sure to scowl and growl as you say 'mediaeval era'), or the primitive scions of the ancien regime, and so forth, is de fide in our finest universities, drenched as they are in the acid rain of post-modernism and relativistic nihilism. Suggesting the contrary would in modern academia be met with cutely contorted faces implying that one was being humoured in his daftness. Silly fellow! Few people realise it, but the French revolution is still going on throughout the chic halls of learning all over the western world, and it isn't finished yet. Its counterparts in the Catholic world are those very clerics and lay, men and women alike, who continue to wreak havoc upon its liturgy, music, and culture.

We owe our parents everything, and our grandparents, and our ancestors. Whilst not aping their ways and mores to the letter out of some kind of fetishistical archaicism, we retain what is of value, inform our lives by its wisdom, and are grateful for it. If we don't understand why they ate fish on Fridays, 'beat the bounds', or had rogation days, or celebrated Ascension forty days after Easter and Pentecost nine days later, it behooves us to find out why and go from there. Even as an Episcopalian youth I was aware that while Fr Episcopal Priest taught us about a certain tradition to give it meaning in our lives, Fr Roman Catholic's people had no idea why they did it, they just did it. Is it any wonder that so much 'baggage' was jettisoned following the council - that it became the occasion to 'get rid of' stuff that meant nothing to people who had never been taught its value? And, we still have with us priests of that era, and their tyrant heirs, who resent with seething anger and pique that some of us are reclaiming priceless treasure that they had thrown overboard. Ah! How many an Episcopalian sacristy was enriched by gorgeous, gaspingly splendid vestments, thuribles, monstrances, missals, and the like that otherwise would have been 'sold for a price' to an antique dealer's, or unceremoniously placed (as many actually were!) in garbage cans! I witnessed such with my own eyes. I, myself, own such a finely gold tooled altar missal from the World War I era, with prayers for the Austrian kaiser. Our musea all over the world are filled with items of artistry beyond price of Catholic liturgy that were sold only to be replaced by expensive-but-cheap run of the mill baubles from your local Catholic church goods dealer - where nothing of real value and taste (expensive though it may be) is to be seen... ever.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    That's a very strange free-form poem, Chickson.
    But I mostly agree with it.
    Speaking from experience - one of the many reasons I reverted to Catholicism was because I found that there really was no cultural divide between its members, age-wise.

I've found children raised in a traditional atmosphere tend to interact more freely and naturally with their elders than children in general. I'm not saying they go about referring to the older generation by their first names or other such rudeness; they have impeccable manners. But they enjoy talking with them and being around them. They realize that the knowledge which is being handed down to them from their parents is not to be put aside lightly. And it certainly helps those who are older to be able to recognize in those younger the youthful passion of growing up in the faith. It's the same reason why the natural ease of the 'cradle' Catholics and the new-born zeal of converts are both essential to the make-up of the Church universal.

As always, Christ left us a very good example. When he lingered in Jerusalem while his parents were returning home, he didn't spend his time trying to convert the Little Rascals of Jerusalem to the Kingdom of God (which would've been an entirely laudable thing to do). He went to the Temple to discuss the Law with the Priests. Surely it was by no means one-sided on Our Lord's part; one can only imagine how that whole discussion must've gone!

Then again, there seems to be a persistent rumor on this forum that I'm at least forty years older than I actually am . . .
  • Andrew_Malton
    Screwtape was not restricting his strategy to classical languages learming, even though that's where he elaborates his example from ("no further from the light than the old Pagans"). It's a key and recurrent theme in Lewis: education as the antidote to local errors or the errors of one's age.

Hence Lewis's Rule of Reading : after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old* one in between. Certainly Lewis links the severing of cultural history to the malaise of the day. To the malaise of the age in fact.

(* He doesn’t define "old". I taught the kids that at least it means written before they were born, though my youngest points out that means she can read her sister's Harry Potters!)

Enfranchisement of ancestors: that is Chesterton, as in Orthodoxy, "Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors".
  • dad29
    Yes, GKC's 'democracy of the dead.'

GKC also said something to the effect that one should not tear down a fence until one knows why it is there in the first place...another way of saying that it is the understanding of tradition(s) that is critical, not necessarily the strict keeping of them.

The quoted passage from Lewis struck me as pertinent to the discussion in another thread regarding use of the Dies Irae. I have difficulty with the determination of some cogniscenti that the piece is no longer pertinent at funeral Masses after about 500 years.
  • CharlesW
    All things pass away, eventually. It is true that the church was pretty screwed up before Vatican II and had genuine problems in liturgy, parishes, schools and seminaries. While the fathers of the council tried to correct some of those problems, they were not successful and touched off even more problems - kind of like the scripture about casting out a devil who returns with seven more even worse.

Genuine Tradition with a capital "T" is a gift from the Holy Spirit. That is not the same as imitating practices from another culture that existed 500 years ago and calling it tradition. When three or more Traditionalists are gathered in God's name, the result is often jihad rather than worship. They fight and argue about E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • dad29
    Genuine Tradition with a capital "T" is a gift from the Holy Spirit. That is not the same as imitating practices from another culture that existed 500 years ago and calling it tradition.

To the first sentence, a resounding "Yes!!"

To the second sentence--uhnnmmmhhh, maybe. You use the word "culture" but I don't think that word means what you THINK it means.

Actual, genuine, culture flows directly from 'cult.' (See, e.g., Ratzinger or CS Lewis in other quotes, etc., etc.) So then, the "culture" you write about was Catholicism. I don't think Catholicism ceased to exist, whether Eastern or Western.

I know what you meant--but words matter.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Likewise,
    it
    should not be overlooked
    that the horrid
    liturgical mayhem
    which followed the council
    was not envisioned by its fathers.
    In fact, one might well argue
    that
    something
    on the order of
    the current Ordinariate Use
    and praxis
    expresses more or less
    what may have been in their minds.

Agreed! The Anglican Ordinariate model is actually what inspired the musical praxis at our EF Missa Cantata. When we began our music ministry, our pastor gave us a video of a beautiful High Mass at an Anglican Ordinariate parish in Texas, (which, as I come to think of it, may have been your parish, MJO!) and asked us to study it and take from it whatever we could, which we gladly did.

• CharlesW
    I make no secret of looking to an Anglican model when choosing music. It works!
  • a_f_hawkins
    I don't know how it would have played in the USA, but I am pretty sure the English bishops would not have welcomed any hint of Anglicization in the 1960's. Our loss of course.
  • ...would not have welcomed...

Indeed!
    They came home and could have fathered something wondrous in the vernacular. But wait! Vernacular, you say? You mean the people are actually to participate? Well, the people are stupid, so we must give them stupid stuff to do and sing. Oh! And they are hardly literate, so we must given them a dynamic equivalent - that's all they should expect. They are also uncouth, so we will give them an ugly happy-clappy mass - as befits them.

Yes, they went out of their way to reject and not to learn anything at all from the Anglican experience. If the Anglo-Catholics had a beautiful mass in English, they went out of their way to make theirs ugly. I still believe, though, that if the vernacular mass had resembled what large numbers of the council fathers envisioned it might well resemble the Ordinariate Use - minus, of course, the Tudorbethan English. The great, very great pity is that Rome just stood by and watched... and said 'ok' every time the American bishops wanted this that and the other - acolytesses, pop-music and all - anything that was trashy. Not all American bishops, and not all American priests were complicit or in agreement with all this, but they did little or nothing to correct it. It took a Benedict compassionately to accomplish for a relatively few culturally - and spiritually - suffering souls what he and his predecessors and successors would not have done for the whole church. Bishop Lopes believes that the Ordinariate will grow exponentially in the next ten years. I believe so too. This daring act of Benedict's is due to flower and bear undreamed of fruit and influence. And, minus Tudorbethan language but with a keen eye to praxis, the real Vatican Two vision just may be redeemed.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matildacmatildac
    As we have drifted off somewhat to the topic of Lewis and English...

Lewis wrote in his last book, Letters to Malcolm: "If you have a vernacular liturgy you must have a changing liturgy: otherwise finally it will be vernacular only in name." What he means, of course, isn't resistance to English but to the everyday plain dialect of it, which I suppose to some extent is exemplified by the service book that came out after his death that simplified a great deal of the "Tudorbethan language".

He himself didn't know where to come down on this issue of English, I don't think, as later in the Letters he acknowledges how you can't quite argue with people who feel put off by 'Be ye lift up', but you also don't want a changing liturgy. A perennial dilemma. Lewis did say, though, in his work on Paradise Lost, that grave things need language that imparts that sense of gravity, so...
  • tomjaw
    Yes, they went out of their way to reject and not to learn anything at all from the Anglican experience.

Hmmm after throwing out the delightful chants of Sarum, how long did it take the Anglicans to write good quality music (consistently) in English... and I am not referring to the islands of quality such as Tallis, Byrd etc.

They came home and could have fathered something wondrous in the vernacular. But wait! Vernacular, you say?

As far as I can gather the English bishops did not want any change but their hand was forced. It is not surprising that the modernists took control.

the real Vatican Two vision just may be redee

While it is easy to say that the Ordinariate use is close to what some of those involved in Vatican 2 wanted... I am not so sure about the tastes of a least a large minority of those involved.

"If you have a vernacular liturgy you must have a changing liturgy: otherwise finally it will be vernacular only in name."

THIS

While I very much like the style of 'Tudorbethan language' I don't think I could put up with a liturgy full of it, I would not be able to sing the lessons to that style of English (or any usage of English) It brings too many memories of Shakespeare.

Can we just have the Sarum Rite back, in Latin of course.
  • Good points, all, tomjaw -
    However, one might give some generous credit to those Laudians and Caroline Divines, and other 'closet Catholics' who kept the flame burning in a somewhat hostile state church, doing battle with all manner of Protestant influence and state paranoia of Rome, where losing one's head for one's religion was a hovering possibility. Even well into the XIXth century CofE priests were jailed (lots of them!) for doing awful things like teaching children their Hail Marys. But they continued to do it - and more. No, the Oxford Movement and Newmann himself did not live and breathe nor occur in a vacuum - they were merely the most recent banner bearers who flourished in gradually decreasing enmity, and did their best to restore the CofE to its genuine self. Um, what excuse do the wreakers of havoc in the Catholic fold since VII have? Why they freely and consciously chose liturgical and theological mayhem - and their bishops egged them on. The crisis of worship and culture in the Catholic Church in our time is one great purposefully self inflicted wound. No Henry the Bad to blame it on.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    As we have drifted off somewhat to the topic of Lewis and English...

You clearly don't know us very well. LOL. We drift off on every topic.
  • Here is a liturgical tradition, one of scores, just chosen at random. There are lots of others. In the Ordinariate all kneel at incarnatus est in the creed. It says to do this in our missal, every last person does so, and none would think of not doing it. If, heaven forbid, noticeable numbers of people failed to do this, one could count on father rector, in his usual way, saying something on the order of 'dear faithful, we kneel where we give account of the incarnation in the creed'. There would be admonitions appearing in the parish news letter. That would serve as a corrective that isn't likely ever to be needed.

Now, in normal Roman rite parishes, hardly anyone will manage even a slight, tiny, very tiny bow (let alone the profound one that is called for), even though it says in their missals to do so. No, they just stand there mumbling. Why, half the time nearly always, not even the priest does more than nod his head a little - if that. Nor, you can be sure, will the priest say anything like, 'dear faithful, at mention of the incarnation we bow'. No, it would never enter his mind. And the people would continue to mention the incarnation without the profound bow of respect which tradition calls for. Such things are meaningless to most Catholics. They just don't get it.

I've noticed that increasingly fewer bother to genuflect when entering their pews. Such slovenly manners would never happen at you know where. Myself, I normally offer a profound bow, which is in keeping with Sarum usage.

Bowing the head at mention of the holy Name of Jesus or the Most Holy Trinity thoughout mass (or at ANY and ALL other times) is something that is universal in the Ordinariate. Normal Catholics? They give you funny looks. They don't get it. Nor will they do it.

On bowing the head - the head is bowed so that the face is facing around a quarter of the way downwards.

On bowing -
    A profound bow is roughly a 45 degree angle at the waist.
    The Orthodox distinguish between various degrees of bowing - but a mere shrugging or humping of the shoulders or merely wiggling the back a smidgeon does not constitute a a bow. A bow bends the entire torso at the waist. A bow is deliberate, unapologetic, and complete - it is a gladsome offering of all that one is to Him Who Is All In All.
    Shrugging or humping the shoulders or slightly nodding the head is not a bow.

Americans, of course, have congenital problems with bowing.
    Catholics should not have these problems when it comes to adoring their God.
    They should delight in such worshipful signs of respect and awe.
    (It isn't as though they were being asked to take their 'sandals' off because they are standing on holy ground.) One would think that these things would be taught and instilled in children from the beginning of their religious experience (namely, by motherly and fatherly example whilst yet they are in their wombs).

Question: just how does one say 'Jesus', or 'Father, Son, and Holy Ghost', without bowing the head? How does one enter one's pew without genuflecting (a real genuflection, not a hurried half hearted stooping or sort of a clumsy curtsy)?

(Lots of homily material here.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
    A religious brother told me of an Orthodox priest he knew whose church has gotten a lot of converts from Catholicism in the past few years. Father said he could always tell who were converts because they always knelt at the Incarnatus. Some days I think that the Roman hierarchy has no idea that amount of "Brain drain" these liturgical practices are causing to their parishes. Lex orandi indeed.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Maybe it is because their heads are already bent to read the misalette? Twenty or more years ago I wrote to the Catholic Herald about this bow at the incarnatus. I did notice that all our five clergy took to bowing noticeably! I would guess that between 5% and 10% of our parishoners currently do it.
  • MatthewRoth
    The bowing is complicated. The head bows in the TLM are barely distinguishable from looking at the missal, hence it is helpful that the ministers bow to the cross on the Epistle side in the pre–1962 rite. The ICRSS bows lower to the priest at the incensations than is rubrically called for. I would say a moderate bow, Jackson, in the old rubrics is what you call profound, since the profound bow is described as being almost able to touch the kneels, which is not perpendicular but is closer than 45 degrees. For what it’s worth.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Most probably don't even know we're supposed to do something at the name of Jesus.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • dad29
    ...and during the sung Gloria, (pre-1965), the priest would remove his biretta and head-bow at the name of Jesus; the altar boys would stand and head-bow at the same time.

It is true that the priest no longer sits during the singing of the Gloria (OF). But nothing prevents him from bowing his head at the Holy Name, right?

Or was something WRONG with that traditional little thing?
  • Not only does one bow the head at the Name of Jesus in Gloria, one also bows from the waist to God at the words 'we worship thee' and '...hear our prayer'. It's odd, queer, really, that just because these things were not printed in post-VII books that people stopped doing them. You'd think that nothing in heaven or earth could have stopped such centuries-old expressions of adoration to He whom they claim to love and adore above all else.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    You'd think that nothing in heaven or earth could have stopped such centuries-old expressions of adoration to He whom they claim to love and adore above all else.

Unfortunately, something on earth did stop centuries-old expressions. Many of the younger folks wouldn't know what you are talking about. We still bow during the Creed, but that is about it other than genuflecting during certain seasons.

the priest would remove his biretta...

I wonder how many folks have never seen a priest wearing a biretta. They probably think it is an Italian sports car.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • MatthewRoth
    The GIRM requires bows at the Holy Name, the name of the Virgin, & the saint of the day. It excludes any specific to the Gloria or Credo.

Dad29, if only I could convince the pastor that the altar boys should stand and only sit on the altar steps during the Gloria, Credo, and sermon. The need for everyone to sit makes it hard to maneuver in the sanctuary.
  • CharlesW
    In para. 137 GIRM we read:

“The Creed is sung or recited by the priest together with the people with everyone standing. At the words et incarnatus est (by the power of the Holy Spirit . . . became man) all make a profound bow; but on the Solemnities of the Annunciation and of the Nativity of the Lord, all genuflect.”
    Maybe it is because their heads are already bent to read the misalette?

Well, that's what was meant when the GIRM specified "facing the altar", right?

• CharlesW
    Their heads are bent to read their smartphones.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I wonder how many folks have never seen a priest wearing a biretta. They probably think it is an Italian sports car.

My former pastor actually had one, but never wore it for Mass. He did, however, wear it in order to show the school children what it is, after I asked about it in an RCIA class my wife was taking.
    I really hope the Saturno makes a comeback. Along with change ringing, rood screens, and choirs actually sitting in choir. Total lack of purple.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW JL
  • Chaswjd
    Actually, the issue of genuflecting when one gets into the pew is a bit more complex than making it a simple habit. Many modern churches have disassociated the tabernacle from the alter. My practice is on getting into the pew is to genuflect to the tabernacle if it is visible even if that means genuflecting at an angle slightly away from the altar. If the tabernacle is not visible, I simply bow to the altar.
  • Ordinariate priests all wear birettas.
    Actually, I wish that they wore Canterbury caps -
    I always did think that that affair with the precious little pom-pom atop it was just a little bit too... precious.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • dad29
    So.

If Catholic teaching rests on both "Scripture and Tradition," and the Mass is actually Catholic teaching--how does one justify dumping tradition(s) from the Mass?
  • MatthewRoth
    You can’t, in the end…
  • Liam
    E pur si muove
  • dad29
    Oh, yes, there's more!

From a post on Watershed:

“The Consilium is merely an assembly of people, many of them incompetent, and others well advanced on the road to novelty. The discussions are extremely hurried. Discussions are based on impressions and the voting is chaotic. […] Many of those who have influenced the reform […] have no love, and no veneration of that which has been handed down to us. They begin by despising everything that is actually there. This negative mentality is unjust and pernicious, and unfortunately, Paul VI tends a little to this side. They have all the best intentions, but with this mentality they have only been able to demolish and not to restore.”

That from the Secretary of the Consilium and immediate predecessor to Bugnini.

See: http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2016/jul/30/Consilium-Anselmo-Albareda-Reform/

The more we know, the more the OF is "revolution." And revolution against tradition is decidedly wrong.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab