Meinrad Psalm Tones
  • AlVotta
    Living in (and being from) Southeastern Brazil, I've learned a lot reading American sites and blogs about sacred music.

I'm currently a church musician, working as a volunteer - play the organ and sing.

I've found the Meinrad Psalm Tones made available for free on the internet:
    http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_63/3744000/3744051/1/print/Modal_Psalm_Tones_Organ.pdf

BUT I need to know how free their use is. I would like to use them for a Gloria setting to be sung by the whole congregation. I've been using responsorial Gloria pieces I wrote myself in which only the refrain is sung by all, and I would like to change this.

I don't intend to use the Meinrad Psalm Tones for the Responsorial Psalm, for which I've been using the Gregorian Psalm Tones.

In a few words, I'd like to know if there are any copyright constraints that might make it impossible for me to use the Meinrad formulae.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Actually, if you go directly to the St. Meinrad website, you'll find that they've composed several settings of the Gloria; no need to re-invent the wheel.

Here's the direct link to their music products: http://www.saintmeinrad.edu/monastery_lit_musicproducts.aspx
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    remarkable to me that they give no samples, so you have NO idea what the music is like....
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I doubt the Meinrad tones are under copyright in South America

I would be very interested if it is legal to use the Meinrad tones.

Has anyone WRITTEN to the Abbey and asked them?
  • AlVotta
    Jeff and David, thank you.

David, the point is: I need to set Gloria in my language, Portuguese. The website doesn't say if their settings are in English or Latin.

I've been changing things a little quickly, so a Latin Gloria would be enormously daring at the moment.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    My apologies for misunderstanding your situation.

I'll modify my original suggestion: why not write to Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB, head of the liturgical music at the Archabbey, and ask for his help? He's a remarkable musician, and I've no doubt would be interested in helping you.

By the way, St. Meinrad School of Theology/Seminary receives men preparing for priesthood from all over the US and South America, I believe. This would probably become an interesting connection for them to make.
  • AlVotta
    David, that's no problem, don't worry.

I'll write to Fr. Kelly to request for information.

Still about the copyright, my guess is: I'm allowed to use the tones at Mass, but I must not distribute sheet music (even for free), say, of a Gloria on a tone of theirs.

However, the tones are free on the web for whoever wants to get them.

I would be more than pleased to acknowledge the source of the tones. Moreover, I don't get paid for this work, and have no intention to sell sheet music (even of my pieces).
  • G
    I have emailed them in the past, they freely give permission to use the tones for non-commercial use.
    Can't put my finger on the correct monk to mail just now, but you can contact them through their site.
    Incidentally, if anyone is looking to do a self-guided retreat I cannot speak highly enough about spending time at the St Meinrad Abby.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Carl DCarl D
    Note that the Archabbey is doing a chant workshop again this summer. I went a couple of years ago and learned a great deal.

http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1209

http://www.saintmeinrad.edu/news_detail.aspx?NewsID=341
  • AlVotta. I think setting the ordinaries to those tones would be beautiful. What a wonderful way to replace the Mass of Creation!- and the like.
  • francis
    The PDF of these Psalm Tones always downloads in a corrupt format on my computer. Is anyone having a similar problem? If not, can you send me the PDF directly. Click on my name to get my email address. Much thanks.
  • I assume you meant the tones from the CMAA main page? They are on the way to you...
  • francis
    No, this link.

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_63/3744000/3744051/1/print/Modal_Psalm_Tones_Organ.pdf

The ones you sent to me are the Gregorian Psalm Tones, but I can't open the above mentioned file to see if they are the same.

Thanks again.
  • I downloaded from the link you gave and sent them...
  • francis
    thanks janet. were you able to open it?
  • AlVotta
    Ralph: thanks for the encouragement.

I don't know the "Mass of Creation", because I'm Brazilian and live in Brazil. However, I've often read about such Mass in writings about Catholic music by Americans, and it seems to be not exactly the most desirable thing...

Furthermore, we have here our own "Masses of Creation", as you can imagine...
  • francis... yes, and I hope you will be able to as well. Let me know if it made it OK.
  • francis
    This worked Janet. Thanks! I have these in handwritten manuscript and printed them out a couple of days ago. I don't remember where I got the handwritten version (PDF). I am dying to try these out.
  • AlVotta
    For whom it may be interesting, I describe how I've been doing things.

I've used Jeff Ostrowski's Don Bosco Kyrie, which I adapted to Portuguese (original is English). Very minimal changes were necessary to change the language, in spite of the big difference between the two versions of the text.

As to the Gloria I've been using responsorial settings I composed myself. Congregation sings the refrain, only.

Now I want to set the Gloria to the Meinrad tones to have all the faithful sing it.

I use the Gregorian tones for the Responsorial Psalm. I'll keep the Meinrad ones for the Gloria, so I'll have specific sources for specific moments, though of course the regular parishioner doesn't know these are two different "families" of psalm tones.

During Advent and Christmas I used the 8th tone. at the Feast of St. Paul I used the 5th. The 5th tone sounds in a way I can't describe very well, and it has always interested me for seeming to be a little avoided.
  • AlVotta
    (cont.)

Sanctus and Agnus Dei are still untouched. Specially the Sanctus they already know is a little ugly, though not inappropriate.

Great Amen, once again, by Jeff Ostrowski - lovely modal sounding, letting me get rid of the previous a little too sentimental melody.

For each Mass I write brief propers to sing alone (even the Alleluia verse, which only in the beginning I sang to gregorian tones; now I compose them). The introit I sing after an entrance hymn; the Offertory I sing before an offertory hymn.

I have eliminated the Communion hymn because people stop singing as they receive communion. After everybody is back to the pews, I proceed to a hymn.

The recessional hymn is called here something like "final song" - I have eliminated this too because people seem to be in a hurry to leave. I play instrumental music.