The Roman Pontifical Online
  • Hello to all!
    I would like to ask if anyone has come across a copy of the new Roman Pontifical online or even better, in a PDF?
    I have searched everywhere for an updated version of the Rites of Ordination and seems like I am out of luck. If anyone knows where I can download a copy, it would be greatly appreciated!!!
    God bless us all!
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • chonakchonak
    Occasionally the official liturgical texts such as the Roman Missal or portions of the Pontifical come on line here or there, but only briefly: perhaps the USCCB is careful about guarding its copyright on the texts.

Are you looking for the answer to a particular question? It may have been answered in the past; or perhaps someone with the printed book can provide information.
    Thanked by 1VincentPham06
  • Liam
    "perhaps the USCCB is careful about guarding its copyright on the texts."

Perhaps? They are notoriously zealous....
  • Paul F. Ford
    I can send them to you if you give me your email address.
  • I would like to have an electronuc copy if the roman pontifical. Does anyone have it. Thanks! Btw, I'm from the Philippines. @Paul F. Ford can you send me a copy of this on my email? markbolapalisoc@gmail.com Thanks!
  • @Paul F. Ford can you also send me an electronic copy of the Roman Pontifical on my email? cristopher.creo@cam.org.au Thank you very much in advance.
  • They are notoriously zealous....

about....?
  • "perhaps the USCCB is careful about guarding its copyright on the texts. "

After all, someone might steal them and start their own church and get it right.
  • I'm sorry I can't send those excerpts, because of copyright.
  • chonakchonak
    Incidentally, does anyone know whether there are any national differences in the approved English text of the Roman Pontifical?
  • For ordination of a priest, you might try here.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • mbroer
    Our diocese has been trying to get a copy of the latest Roman Pontifical for several years now. I personally have spoken to the USCCB printing office and told it is 'out of print' and they have no indication it will be released by them any time in the near future. I also spoke to the publisher the USCCB uses and they too are out of stock and no plans for another reprint. I have scoured the internet for anyone with a copy and come up empty.

So..... if ANYONE has a PDF of the latest version I am sure that I would not be the only one eternally grateful since it is in fact out of print. Thank you to anyone who can help
    Thanked by 2BruceL RedPop4
  • chonakchonak
    Now that the USCCB has approved a new English translation of the Rite of Ordination, presumably there will be a new printing of the Pontifical (after the CDWDS grants its recognitio).
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen BruceL
  • BruceL
    @mbroer this is correct. Our previous rector foresaw that they'd probably do a one-and-done since it was a transitional book, and bought three. We gave one to the bishop...we don't know where it is now, so we still have 2 ;-)
  • davido
    In the digital age, this situation is ludicrous. The pontifical should be available electronically.
  • Liam
    It appears they still have to compose the chants for the rites of ordination before it would be approved for publication, I imagine. IIRC, the new translation of the rite of Confirmation was approved in 2016; that for the blessing of the holy oils after that, and that for the rites of dedication went into effect late last year. I don't recall where updated translations for the the divers rites for institution/consecration/blessing/profession of ministers, virgins, abbots/abbesses, religious, et cet., are in the process.
    Thanked by 2BruceL CHGiffen