Modern hymns you don't want to admit to liking (a FUN thread)
  • I had a stupid morning at work...outdoor service, wind, and the director is on vacation and the person who was supposed to lead hymns and do a ton of other stuff today decided to bail and I was left to pull a ton of music out of my behind in their absence. Then I went to 12:30 at my own church. Communion hymn today was I Am the Bread of Life, and well heck I kinda like the tune LOL.

Your turn...
  • Table of plenty, that was the Corpus Christi and Holy Thursday processional hymn.
    One Spirit, One Church is a fun "piano banger". Ok you can ban me now, chonak!

[Oops! I've never heard of OSOC, so I can't be shocked enough to blow the whistle.--admin]
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    Here I am Lord, I'm Mrs. Brady.
    And I'm bringing up three very lovely girls....

Just kidding. I HATE this one.
  • CharlesW
    I actually like the tune "Beach Spring" which I first experienced with Sacred Harp singers as a youth. It has many sets of words in various hymnals. Is it a good tune for mass? You be the judge. I know our associate heads for the door when he hears it as a recessional, so I quickly realized he doesn't care for it. Would it be called modern? Yes and no.
    Thanked by 1FidemInFidebus
  • Kathy
    I guess it's not that new, but Give Me Jesus is a favorite of mine.

Como Estrella en Claro Cielo, In Perfect Charity, Restless Is the Heart, and O How Blest are excellent. But I guess they are off-topic because I don't feel guilty.

I feel guilty about Hayakawa's I Am the Light of the World.
  • MatthewRoth
    I feel a little guilty liking the tune by Temple for “Make Me a Channel of Your Piece.” I don’t feel guilty at all about liking the descant at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales.
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • Matthew,

I'm stifling a gag response.... as I suppose is the point of this "fun" thread.

• melofluentmelofluent
    What is "wrong" about endorsing (liking) pieces from any era?
  • MarkThompson
    I'm happy to name a couple: They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love and Pescador de Hombres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyLHi_X83s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J7kzNfGMWc
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • "The Summons."
  • Kathy
    Charles, it's a FUN THREAD.
    Thanked by 1FidemInFidebus
  • @Noeisdas: ooh lol Table of Plenty is another guilty pleasure, love it LOL! I suppose the old saying "if you throw enough crap at the wall some of it sticks" is true...we're all bound to latch on to some of this stuff at some point...Well, not all of it is "crap", to be fair :)
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I have bad taste, so if I started listing the "contemporary Catholic" songs that I personally like, I wouldn't know when to stop.

For whatever reason, I feel like mentioning:

I enjoy singing the illicitly-worded original Gloria from David "Druid Master" Haas's Mass of Light. ("and SIIIIIIIIIING!")
    Thanked by 2Spriggo Ben
  • matthewjmatthewj

I enjoy singing the illicitly-worded original Gloria from David ... Haas's Mass of Light. ("and SIIIIIIIIIING!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6l8MFdTaPE
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Kathy
    I like singing the descant on that one.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Jerusalem My Destiny

The Mass of Light Gloria: also a great piano banger. And +1 for the quotation from Jesus Christ Superstar in in last verse. I was told off after Mass once for playing it too enthusiastically.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the quotation from Jesus Christ Superstar in in last verse

Please elaborate.
  • LenaH
    "I'm happy to name a couple: They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love and Pescador de Hombres."

"Pescador de Hombres" makes me feel like swaying to the music, I like it so much, but alas, you can't do that in church, while "They'll Know...." makes me want to upchuck. In grade school, we sang the second one "ad nauseum," in music class, during Mass, during recess. I hope I never hear it again.
  • Andrew_Malton
    The With the Holy Spirit / In the glory of God the Father is Simon Zealotes's You'll get the power and the glory / For ever and ever and ever
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The With the Holy Spirit / In the glory of God the Father is Simon Zealotes's You'll get the power and the glory / For ever and ever and ever

I can't believe I have never noticed this.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Sorry, Kathy. How could the clown prince get all serious?

My choice: "Ina Garden of Eden, baby....." Wendy and I used to neck to that hymn.

https://youtu.be/qSCUhqsy4Nk
  • ronkrisman
    Wendy and I used to neck to that hymn.

Save it for the next discussion: Good Neckin' Hymn Tunes
    Thanked by 3Kathy Spriggo Liam
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey

If only congregations could really sightread like this!
  • Is there something wrong with me that I can't put any "contemporary" stuff in the "guilty pleasures" camp?

• I shamelessly admit that there are no hymns or other music that would be pertinent to this thread that I like.... even a little bit. I do, though, quibble with the seeming equation of 'modern hymns' to (presumably) bad ones. Still, I do have guilty pleasures, but they are not musical. Gustatory? Yes! I love hamburgers (real ones [not the all gussied up ones that seem to be de riguer on every chic menu these days - and some that are definitely non chic]).
  • ^^^the denial is strong with this one LOL
  • chonakchonak
    I can't think of any offhand, but will come back to this thread later when I find one to post.
  • BenBen
    Señooooooooooooooooooor!
  • Kathy
    I like an awful lot of Spanish guitar type Kyries.

Señor, ten piedad....
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • chonakchonak
    Adding a dance style can spruce up a lot of pieces: for example, the "I Am The Bread Of Life Cha-Cha", or the "Let There Be Peace On Earth Waltz".

But maybe I should limit myself to pieces that I somehow enjoy as written.
  • Kathy
    I like playing a bass run on a lot of stl jesuit songs, like Lord of Glory and Mighty Lord.

Good times...
  • francis
    Mele Kalikimaka
  • Priestboi
    "Be Not Afraid" - Kindly do not stone me :)
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Guilty pleasure: Bring Flowers of the Fairest
    Oops, not contemporary enough? Palestrina had been dead for 300 years!
  • Adding another...although I don't know if this makes it worse or better, but Hillsong United's version of "Awesome God" (mainly because it doesn't use the "our God is putting on the ritz" line LOL...I wish we didn't do so much of their stuff because now my brain is infected with it.
  • MatthewRoth
    Fidem, I never heard the line growing up until someone decided to play the original. Nope! FUS uses Hillsong stuff sometimes, so I got used to it…
  • miracle of grace
    Thanked by 1lmassery
  • Jani
  • Jani
    Dang. Tried to link the thread "Guilty Pleasures" from awhile back, but it didn't work. Dang.
  • "Be Light For Our Eyes" by David Haas is probably the best piano banger of them all.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Spriggo
  • @matthewj the video appears to say not available.
  • MatthewRoth
    It is available in the USA. It might be a cross–border problem.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Well Canada really sucks then.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Well Canada really sucks then.

FIXED.*

*color
    Thanked by 2Ben Spriggo
  • cmon guys, I love Canada (except for what that tenor did to the national anthem the other day at the Jays game)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • canadashcanadash
    Not to hijack the thread, but I heard this one (Mass of St. Ann) for the first time last weekend at a tiny church nestled in the (Canadian) Rocky Mountains. I must admit that my family is not charitable when it comes to poor music choices, and the musicians did not make good ones, but the priest said Mass with reverence, chanting all of his parts, and the enthusiastic participation of all the congregation (which included many, many tourists and young children) made the Mass quite lovely.

My contribution to the list is "Listen" by Western Priory.

• "Something Which is Known" by Western Priory is really nice too.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • Kathy
    That is the least worst song of the Weston Priory.
  • Kathy
    Something which is fun with kids is An Angel Came from Heaven.
  • chonakchonak
    Another vote for "Something Which Is Known", a song rich in subordinate clauses. Of course, it's phrased awkwardly, and the original vocalist's tone was what it was, but the First Epistle of St. John is marvelous, and the text tries to present it faithfully.