An ongoing cycle of introits
  • Evan M
    I've been interested in integrating inverted added-note triads (think Lauridsen) into classical functional and even Renaissance language for awhile, providing an outlet to compose in relatively unexplored styles.

Here are some fruits of my latest and ongoing project, which is a cycle of introits for (at least) the main feasts of the year. They are for 6-part choir: the S-A1-A2 divisi can be interpreted rather literally, while the T-B1-B2 might be thought of as closer to three equal voices to allow the bass line to maintain solidity in both 4-part and 6-part passages.

Comments are welcome, especially regarding the overall form. Each of the attached introits is designed for the introit text to be repeated following the psalm; but for those with a final Alleluia, I'm starting to think it will be a better length/balance to repeat only the last group of Alleluias.

Feel free to perform. Text credits are as in Simple English Propers.
  • JesJes
    From a brief glance at lent II. The word tribulations. Have a go at singing the soprano and see where the natural accent of the word lies in comparison to the notes. I reckon you could still use the same harmony just try move the syllables a little or something.

Otherwise from my very brief glance, this is awesome. So cool! Can I pass this on to my novus ordo friends in Aus? They are looking for things they can do and this might just be it.
  • Evan M
    I'm confused. The accent is on "la," is it not? Sopranos who would have trouble jumping to the high F on "bu" can remain on the C instead.

As I said before, feel free to use the music.