Best resource for Christmas caroling?
  • Stella611
    What would you say is the best resource for a cappella Christmas caroling? Possibly in parts? Started it with the youth choir last year, just printing out some lyrics, but would like some sort of all-in-one booklet with music notation, and in parts, so that we could get adult choir members to join in and sing the harmonies.
    I saw a booklet through GIA, but wondering if there are any other recommendations out there.
    Thanks!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Any decent mainline denominational SATB hymnal.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • BenBen
    And here I thought wood was just going to say that you just need to ask around for an SATB adeste fideles arrangement.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It was very difficult to contain myself.
  • tomjaw
    We sing from the Oxford book of Carols...
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I've used that site before. I'm not a huge fan of the arrangements, but they'll do in a pinch.
  • CharlesW
    CHRISTMAS??? Already? ARGHHHHHHHH.
  • Stella611
    Thanks Liam and Spriggo!

And CharlesW, haha, I am a planner. It is one of my favorite aspects of my job (probably not the norm for most artistic people, I know!). Music is already set up through beginning of October.
    I use the summer to really think through plans for ALL the choirs, setting schedules for them, looking for new music, and planning ahead for any special events.
  • Carols for Choirs
  • SalieriSalieri
    The Shorter New Oxford Book of Carols (The blue book) is a handy size, and contains a representative amount from the "yuge" New Oxford Book of Carols (The red book) edited by Keyte & Parrott. Also the 'old' Oxford Book of Carols, mentioned above, edited by Dearmer, Shaw, & Vaughan Williams, is a go to resource. And, I should mention:CPDL. It's free and you can download as many carols as you want, and freely copy them to make your own caroling book with only the contents that you want! Also, Hymnary.org will be useful with this, too.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CCooze
  • Liam
    Salieri

The link I provided above is to a free collection of 150 public domain carols with harmonies, available in nicely designed PDF format both for tablets and for 8"x11" printouts. And it provides individual files, including MP3s.... It's hard to beat as a basis for this kind of thing.
    Thanked by 1Salieri