neume doodles
  • soli
    Good evening, everyone! I would just like to share the doodles of a young schola member on the back of her copy of Puer natus est.... an interesting way to learn neumes... all her own:)
  • soli
    sorry... I can't seem to post the jpgs... disregard. Thank you!
  • hmmm, can you put them on a server somewhere and link?
  • miacoyne
    I can see them. So cute! Children are so smart, and they have a way of coming out with good ideas. I'm going to print it out and share. Thanks,
    Mia
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Groovy! I particularly love the "high heel" notes. Right up there with the "bench pressus".
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Kids are really funny, and as I've worked with boys and girls in an RSCM-style program, I found that when I used sophisticated humor, they came right along.

A wonderful example: I always taught the kids that there were 3 kinds of "r's", flipped, rolled and modified, but always made a big deal out of the typical Midwestern "chewed" "r", as in "Lorrrrd" rather than the modified "L[oh]d." After a few months, I asked them during a session how many "r's" there were, and one of my boy trebles chimed in, "There are four." "Four?" "Yes, four: flipped, rolled, modified and bad."

*Snort*
  • Kathy
    My children's schola says liquescents look like they're dripping.

I suppose that's the point of liquescents...
  • Pes
    I love it!
  • BruceL
    Fr. Weber, OSB, at Kenrick-Glennon Seminary had one of his seminarians do a series like this called "The Neumskys". One of the guys is an absolutely fabulous cartoonist, and there are nice explanations of the role of each neum. That said, they're a little advanced for kids, I think...yours are nice for that use!
  • soli
    Thank you for your comments, everybody. I'm glad that you enjoyed these!
    Sr. Bernadette
  • francis
    Bruce:

Can we see the Neumskys too!?
  • BruceL
    I'll try and see if I can get "permission".
  • soli
    That would be wonderful. Thank you!
  • soli
    Hello everyone! The "neume doodler" who is a Grade 5 girl, made an interesting comment last night. She mentioned that she goes sometimes to Mass at another Church and that when they sing the Kyrie, the music sounds all happy and it doesn't make any sense if we are supposed to be begging for mercy.... the music doesn't go with the words... smart girl:)

We are also having the "neume of the week" at schola - Every rehearsal we introduce one or two new neumes and their characteristics. Her new neume doodle innovation is for the punctum. Pluralizing it to puncti (but the "i" pronounced as "eye"), she is writing "punc" and then drawing a man's tie... Any word on the Neumsky's?
    May you all have a blessed day!
  • eft94530eft94530
    ancilla: "and then drawing a man's tie"

A bowtie, hopefully.

>*<
  • chonakchonak
    Ancilla, it would be helpful to know what Kyrie music the Grade 5-er heard.

When I first attended a Byzantine-rite Divine Liturgy, the "Lord, have mercy", sung in litanies, did seem a relatively happy bit of song; and I thought it's not out of place, The Lord loves to have mercy on us; we need Him to have mercy on us, and He is probably pleased that we acknowledge our nothingness before God, ask for His mercy, and express our trust in Him. So why not be suitably happy about it?

Note, I'm not endorsing any particular bad music by saying this, but did want to mention a "positive" side to the Kyrie.
  • GavinGavin
    I'm with chonak. Lots of Mozart Kyries are in a major key, and RATHER happy. And what about Kyrie V, VIII, etc? Even Kyrie XI isn't particularly "unhappy" in my view, I find it a rather triumphant and confident melody.

Still, it's good that kids are realizing what sacred music means. My favorite hymns at that age were "O Come Emmanuel" and "They'll Know We are Christians" - both modal melodies!
  • soli
    Dear chonak and Gavin, you make a very good point! I agree with you that mercy should not necessarily be a sad thing - especially when God is so good! With contrition there is also confidence and interior joy. I don't know what Kyrie she heard but it was probably folk style because that is what is more prevalent in our area, I would say. Maybe it was the style that made it sound... not fitting with the words. I don't know.