Am I too "Glass-y eyed?"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I often ponder in this post-minimalism era if many composers of art/sacred music have settled into very myopic regimens of construct when they answer their muse? I often look at a score and what steps off the page (figuratively speaking) is the absence of nearly any accidentals throughout the piece. That also is furthered by what could be regarded as a slavish adherence to monochrome tonicism. That results in long, very long passages that are tethered and hover ever near the tonic chord and key. There will likely be found brief glances towards the sub-dominant, the deceptive move to the minor sixth chord or even the flat major sixth chord (often followed by a bVII) and so forth. In a way, such sparse harmonic vocabulary often proves the piece to be a literal rendition of a Schenkerian analysis, and one would be lucky if a V/I cadence is, in fact, employed.

Has creative chromaticism been disavowed because of Wagner and serialism? Are tonal shifts and modulations relegated to a post-Romantic dustbin? What is meant by “invention and innovation” in an era where prolonged passages of arpeggiated triads shift by one semitone only over an equally long and belabored period?

Or am I still a grouchy curmudgeon?
  • Do you mean to discover whether you're a diatonic dinosaur?
    I'm sticking with dear old dad. :)

I do think there is an anti-chromatic conspiracy afoot. Just another pendulum swing.
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • francis
    Here... have some of MY accidentals... I am a strong lover of them!

http://myopus.com/preview/koerberOSacredHead.mp3
  • It's trite, but apt: every action begets a reaction, which, as MaryAnn notes, results in a pendulum swing. The styles you describe may very well represent a reaction to a period in which, literally, not a note on any page appeared without an accidental, and in which not a single note or chord predicted (to me, at least) what was to come after it, or was the implied result of what went before it. (And yet, miraculously, one knew a 'right' note from a 'wrong' one.) This all began in the romantic era and ended with our dear friend Messiaen (whose music I love, and love to play, but absolutely hate to learn). Your characterisation of this music as Schenkerian is quite apt. Some of it is quite compelling. Most of it is quite boring. The first time I heard Arvo Part's music was via radio very late one night in the mid-1990's. My first impression of it was that it was early organum, though it soon became apparent that that was not the case.

Just this last Sunday I attended the ballet. First on the program was Tchaikovsky's Serenade as choreographed by Balanchine. This, I have always thought (not thought, but knew) to be one of the most boring pieces ever written. It occurred to me at the time that this was a late XIXth century precursor of the sort of music under discussion here. (The second offering was much better, profound, actually. It was set to Poulenc's Gloria and choreographed thematically to a poem about the First World War - a stunning juxtaposition of hope and praise in the midst of utter pain and destruction.)

To return, though, to your subject: much of this music is refreshingly clean even while it often seems harmonically and thematically rudderless. Some of Hovhaness' sacred music, of which I am rather fond, exhibits these stylistic characteristics. Looking through my library the other night in a search for a Transfiguration motet-anthem I rediscovered his 'And as They Came Down From the Mountain'. I commend it to any here who might want a really fine piece for this feast, which, to my mind, ought to be a solemnity.

It is good that Charles has brought this subject up. We should have much more to say about it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis,
    "Cujus latus perforatum, fluxit et sanguine...."
    Your Hassler is spot on, but where in the year do you employ it, Passion Sunday?

And now for something completely different:
    https://youtu.be/ZTkpiDCsivM
  • francis
    I premiered it on my junior recital and haven't played it since. It could be used in a non Catholic setting I suppose.

Yes, Passion Sunday could be, but then again, instrumental music is not allowed during Lent.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Accidentals? Different harmonic and melodic idioms? Try this:

Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Marvelous, Chuck!
    Comforting, too!
  • Let me begin from the assumption that using all those accidentals was for more than the purpose of pretentiousness. When I asked someone some years ago why she listed a note as [I forget the details, but it amounted to en-harmonically renaming a pitch], she said what amounted to "because". Many modern English composers use many accidentals and much chromaticism, and there is a reason for it both. The French (Franck comes to mind) also used chromatic movement for good purpose, and his organ works are full of accidentals.

so.... why?
  • francis
    chromaticism invokes pathos
  • francis
    another of my comps, O Vos Omnes

http://myopus.com/preview/oVosOmnes.mp3
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I just put a V/V in a four-voice work I started today. Chromaticism isn't dead, at least not for me, but I'm judicious about how I use it. I think the use of chromaticism as a key tool of atonality spoiled it for many, as much atonal music is very difficult to understand for the average listener. I tell the students (warn is more like it) when we begin studying the 20th century era of music that they will hear music they don't like, and they will hear music I don't like, and it's ok that we don't like it, but it still teaches us something about music.

@Francis: can we see the score, too, please?
  • francis
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks to Fr. Ron for suggesting an underlay change in the Latin "orphanos" (the accent is on the first syllable); consequently, I've made a minor revision of the underlay (including on the word "comfortless" which actually was previously somewhat awkwardly underlaid). The revised PDF of "Non vos reliquam orphanos"/"I will not leave you comfortless" is attached.