What do you think of the new St. Michael Hymnal?
  • Nisi
    What do you think of the new St. Michael Hymnal? I just got one, and it seems a vast improvement over the former. I don't like the smattering of contemporary hits, but overall it's more complete, hymn-wise, than the other, more conservative hymnals on the market now. In most cases, original language has been preserved. Nice to see Richard Rice's work in there too - go Richard!
    Thanked by 1advocatus
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Overall it's very good. It has more than twice the hymns as the previous version, though they opted for much thinner which will not have the same longevity.

My biggest complaint is that many of the hymns are missing verses; very few have a doxology verse.

The texts are solid and retain traditional language. Compared to the third edition there are even fewer pop songs. Even the ordinary settings are commendable.

No hymnal is perfect or will fulfill all needs, but this is probably the best comprehensive hymnal available.
    Thanked by 2Nisi advocatus
  • Heath
    It's excellent! I've used it for about 4 years now and it's just fantastic. Choral hymnals don't hold up well (few split spines), but the congregational versions seem to be going strong.

Thanked by 1Nisi
  • nknutson
    New? The 4th edition came out in 2011.

It is a good hymnal indeed. I wonder if anyone has actually implemented the little antiphons? It would be interesting to hear if someone has had success in using them, particularly if they have led to a restoration of propers, rather than all english.

5th Edition would be welcome, with readings! No psalms though. :) Clergy really want readings, although it would be wonderful to see the faithful with hand missals, rather than purchasing the lectionary for everyone.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    5th Edition would be welcome

I am under the impression that this will definitely not happen.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I am under the impression that this will definitely not happen.
    Is that a definite maybe not or a definite probably not?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I think, Chuck, that maybe it's a definite impression.
    We shall see.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My second hand information, from two years ago, was that the editors REALLY wanted to get out of the hymnal making business.

Since that was two years ago, things may have changed. Since the info was second hand, it could have been inaccurate in the first place.
  • Heath
    After a talk or two with Linda Schaefer (editor), I would say that there are no plans for a fifth edition.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    At least not until we get Roman Missal IV
  • Earl Grey,

Perhaps we could make enough editions of the Missal of Blessed Paul VI to have Roman Missal 1962?