Diction for church singers
  • fltpiano
    I am in need of some help in regards to choral diction for church singers (the group sings in English, maybe we will do latin someday...). I'm currently serving a small congregation which has one choir with 8 singers. They need work in regards to diction among several other things. However, I feel like I'm not up to speed on choral diction for singers like I should be -- there are some things I know, but my knowledge is limited. Are there any suggestions on texts, etc, that deal specifically on diction for singers? I have tried to do a lot of work on "r" (words like "earth", "heart", etc.) which was extremely necessary, but that is only the tip of the iceburg and even that still needs a lot of work. Any input is appreciated. I need help please! Looking forward to some input. Thanks!
  • canadashcanadash
    This is so important. You are right.

When we began chanting the English propers, our diction improved. Working on unison singing was most helpful. It is easier to focus on beginning and ending together, when everyone is singing in unison.

I had a professor who said he wanted to see spit on his glasses when his choir sang the psalms.

Finally, with regard to vowels, make sure that your vowel production is the same across the board. To emphasize this I have everyone in a group sing a short "e" or "eh" and have one person sing a slightly different "eh". Try this in groups of four and have the other four listen to the difference it makes when everyone is in sync and when they are not. This attention to detail has made a difference with my group.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I had a professor who said he wanted to see spit on his glasses when his choir sang the psalms.

Clever hyperbole. But not worth a digression. ;-)
    Tell yer choristers, "Never, ever chew on those "r's." Then demonstrate a chaw. Tell 'em they're not in Kansas (or Chicago) anymore.
    And if we cannot unify persons anymore, definitely unify all vowels first.
  • Jani
    I don't believe that was a digression. It definitely says something about the expectations regarding pronunciation, enunciation, and projection....I'm pretty sure...eh, Canadash?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • CharlesW
    This attention to detail has made a difference with my group.

You are right that it makes a big difference. In my area I have to overcome regional pronunciations and wonder if that is a problem for you. I have a friend from Canada. Do your folks say "aboot" for about? He says "albow" for elbow. Must be a Canadian thing. LOL.

• JL
    Madeleine Marshall's "Singer's Manual of English Diction" is the magisterial volume on this sort of thing (and in places, rather entertaining.) I wouldn't throw it at your choristers and expect them to read it, but buy yourself a copy and have a look at the (very brief) chapters on the phonemes that seem to be the trouble. (I suspect that you willl never have to use the chapter on patter singing, unless your pastor wants the Missa Modern Major General.)
  • canadashcanadash
    I don't believe that was a digression. It definitely says something about the expectations regarding pronunciation, enunciation, and projection....I'm pretty sure...eh, Canadash?

Yes, exactly Jani. The idea is that your "t's" or "ch's" etc. are so pronounced that you spit them out and inevitably the spit flies as well. The hyperbole works well and the tongues start darting and the lips moving.

Now for the digression:
    Do your folks say "aboot" for about? He says "albow" for elbow. Must be a Canadian thing. LOL.

I think we all say "aboot" together, so it is a non-issue. (I don't think we've ever sung elbow!) I lived in Buffalo for a couple of years and this was always pointed out to me. It took me those two years to hear what others heard. In my NSHO the Americans were saying "abouwt" and I was pronouncing it correctly. ;)

On the point of pronunciations, I have many immigrants in my choir and this is where things do get tricky. I've only recently come to the realization that vowels are as necessary and often more difficult to sing perfectly in the same manner. This is even more difficult when many of the people have differing languages of origin and truly cannot form the vowels you want.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    2nds on the Marshall book.
    Basics to work on:
    Diphthongs!
    R
    Final consonants. I find that my amateur choristers will often end a word early, and insist on completing it when they have done so.
    Re the immigrant issue: I was once singing with a fellow who was producing a heavily umlauted Latin u, such as you might hear in a HIP performance of 15th-c French repertoire. I mentioned it to the director, who said, "He can't help it; he's Japanese." And I said, "I learned how to sing Italian vowels from Noriko Fujii". Things CAN be fixed, but with the personal realities of volunteers, it may not be the first or even 51st priority.