No longer in Kentucky
  • kevinfkevinf
    I was not going to say anything, but I alluded to my new job in another thread. Since some have asked privately, I figured I might as well speak.

As of June 1 I will be at St. Luke's Church and School in Palm Beach Florida. I will teach chant and solfege in the school two days and conduct the very beginning parish schola and children's choirs. I am very excited as I will have clerical support to develop the chant, solfege and quality choral music. I will also oversee a project to procure a pipe organ.

So, all's well that ends well. A long road that is done. Guess I will have to get rid of my wool sweaters.
  • CharlesW
    Congratulations. So will it be Kevin in Florida after June 1?
  • Out of curiosity (though an organ project can lead to unexpected results, depending on who and how many are involved - not to mention the church fabric itself), if you had carte blanche and the funding to go with it, what two or three builders would immediately pop into your mind as contenders to build you dream organ?

(Others may answer the question as well as Kevin, to whom we all give three cheers.)
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • ghmus7
    Congratulations!
  • ghmus7
    Ross King, Casavant and any of the B's: Bedient, Berghaus, Buzard...
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • canadashcanadash
    Wonderful news!
  • Congratulations, Kevin! Enjoy the year-round season!
  • Casavant, Letourneau, Peregallo in that order. Always Casavant, I recently got a tour there.

Congrats!
  • redsox1
    Patrick J. Murphy and Associates!!!!
  • CharlesW
    For reliability, I have had success with Schantz, Casavant, and Austin. They rarely went out.

Tonally, Letourneau, Harrison and Harrison, something very French but a brand doesn't come to mind at the moment.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Hmmm...if I had carte blanche with regards to builders:

Juget-Sinclair, Bertrand Cattiaux and either Pasi or Dobson. As one might notice, those are pretty high quality builders of a rather specific nature.

I have had good experiences with Letourneau, Peragallo and Schoenstein.

I have a predictable preference for things French, so any builder will have to satisfy my romantic tendencies. My priest know only one builder: Fisk. Go figure.

Thanks to all... I am happy to leave my term in hell to someone else.
  • MatthewRoth
    It will be sad to see you go, but I'm glad you have a job where you will have good work to do with support.
  • doneill
    I won't wade into the organ builder discussion, except to say that I put a priority on beauty over any perceived practicality. Certainly the first list of builders that Kevin mentioned are among the very best. Also, I am glad that Kevin has landed somewhere good. He was a great colleague in Kentucky while we were both there.
  • eft94530eft94530
    build you dream organ?
    something very French but a brand doesn't come to mind at the moment.

What? Is outrage!
    Cavaille-Coll.
  • CharlesW
    What? Is outrage!
    Cavaille-Coll.

Of course, although the dear gentleman is quite dead and unlikely to build anything else. He didn't like mixtures, btw. I understand Guilmant had to argue with him to get him to include mixtures on one particular organ. I have heard "clones" and reproductions of the C-C instruments, but it would be hard to match the acoustics and settings of the original installations.
  • dad29
    Congrats, Kevin!!
  • I unreservedly agree about Pasi. Of the hundreds of organs I have played over the last ___ years, the Pasi at Houston's Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart would be my first choice, without thinking twice or blinking. Any other would stand in its shadow.

For another aesthetic I give high marks to Christ Church Cathedral's Aeolian-Skinner. The cathedral actually has two Skinners: the large one in the church, and a six or eight rank one in one of the chapels.

As for schoenstein, whom someone mentioned, I wouldn't walk across the street to hear one - unless, maybe, it was the only organ in town. (I do give them credit for being well built, though - very well made.)

I have just acquired a reinforcement of my disdain for Reuter. They recently did 'renovations' (to the tune of US$800,000) on the 1955 Holtkamp at Trinity Lutheran Church, here in Houston. This was my organ for fifteen years in the seventies and eighties. For many years it was the neo-baroque organ of choice in the city. Reuter shamelessly gutted the original great, replacing most stops with their own, and generally 'reuterised' the entire organ, which now bears no tonal resemblance to the original. No respect at all was shown to the original tonal aesthetic, nor any effort made to preserve it or recognisably enhance it. The dedication by Ken Cowan of Rice University's Shepherd School of Music consisted almost entirely of operatic transcriptions from Wagner and several others. The two real organ pieces out of a program of about eight were a Mozart fantasia and the Bach TAF. What a vacuous pity! The only (truly) admirable thing about this recital was that it was played with ease (as in aplomb) entirely from memory and was flawlessly executed from first to last (the last being an encore of 'Ride of the Valkyries'). And this incredibly gifted man (a native of Canada) is shaping minds at one of the nations most prestigious universities!

(Actually, Trinity had approached Holtkamp about the renovations, but wanted something speedier than Holtkamp's three year waiting list. Reuter did the 'job' in six months - which says it all about them!)
  • francis
    I unreservedly agree about Pasi. Of the hundreds of organs I have played over the last ___ years, the Pasi at
    St Benedict in Richmond
    would be my first choice, without thinking twice or blinking. Any other would stand in its shadow.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • BruceL
    I'm glad to hear that about Pasi. I'm taking a trip to Texas soon and hope to hit them.

Nichols & Simpson's work is fantastic. I'm a big fan of their tonal design: the work is done with great detail and quality as well.

Ditto in the tracker venue for Juget-Sinclair. Their organ in St. Louis was just behind my apartment. Really fantastic little instrument: they seem to be learning quickly as they get bigger contracts.

The biggest issue would be "What kind is your dream organ?" I would love a Taylor & Boody, but it would not serve most of what I do well. I would love a late 1920's EM Skinner, but it would not work well in our room...nor would I like the fact that I'd have to adjust my playing of early music. That said, I'd almost always prefer possessing an outstanding example of SOMETHING that someone else built...then I can complain and it's not my fault! Lately, it looks like that won't be my lot!

Congrats, Kevin!
  • CharlesW
    Well, if I could have exactly what I wanted, it would be a good-sized Aeolian-Skinner. They don't make them like they used to and in fact, don't make those at all. A second instrument for the early French literature that I love would be ideal, but probably not practical from a money standpoint.

• doneill
    Omaha may be out of the way for most folks, but if you have a chance, visit Martin Pasi's organ at St. Cecilia Cathedral. It is stunning.
  • BruceL
    The concept of it is wonderful, and I have wanted to visit that instrument for literally 10 years, but I don't think it would be a good fit here (that includes space!) We could only fit an organ half the size of St. Cecilia in our gallery. In addition, the technician here is my assistant (excellent at both jobs): he's fine with tierce chests, but might murder me in my sleep if we did a dual-temperament organ!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    For those who are fond of Casavant and are looking for an organ, there is a lovely used instrument for sale right now in Quebec that would be quite a deal if you've got space for it.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I am thrilled that this thread has broken into a discussion about organ builders. I am grateful for all the support and glad my term in the Archdiocese of Louisville is done. The bourbon is good here but the Church...well, that is another matter. Although I am very thankful for St. Martin of Tours in Louisville, which continues on a good path.
    Thanked by 2Jeffrey Quick BruceL
  • doneill
    Bruce,

I played there for a year, and I never could figure out how to tune the reeds. There was a detailed diagram for anybody intrepid enough. You haven't lived until you have heard a 16' plenum in mean-tone supporting congregational singing. I used to play the Mass of Creation Sanctus on the mean-tone plenum in a grand 3, and it never sounded so good. There is a small Pasi organ in Houston at a Lutheran church worth visiting. I haven't heard it yet (I'm in Houston now), but I hear it is exceedingly beautiful.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • ...thrilled...thread has broken into a discussion about organ builders
    So there you have it from the TO (Thread Originator)!
    Going OT is a good thing (sometimes).

doneill -
    The small Pasi of which you speak is at First Lutheran Church, about 5 minutes south of the co-cathedral.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Congrats! Enjoy that sunshine!
  • CharlesW
    I haven't heard any new Casavant organs, so I don't know what they sound like today. We have a couple of earlier ones in my area. They are so bright and harsh, I find them unpleasant. One of them is being revoiced and rebuilt - it was a 60s era installation and hard to listen to for long.

I think Schantz is well-built, and organ technicians tell me the same. I preferred the "Schantz" sound during the tenure of John Schantz when they were more "smoothly" voiced. I find the newer ones sound a bit rough to my ears. I live in a "Schantz town", since the late sales rep lived and worked here for 50 years or so. He actively sold those instruments in this region and was always available to resolve any service issues.

There is a large Wilhelm in town that has a nice sound. My only complaint about it is that some of the organ is in your face right above the keyboards. That is only a problem for the organist, however. It seems to be constructed rather well and I haven't heard of any mechanical problems with it.

The $2.5 million Schoenstein pipe organ installed in the Nashville Schermerhorn Symphony Center in 2007 seems well-built and has a good sound, in spite of Jackson's hatred for the brand. LOL.

• ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    We've got a Wicks that has pipework in good condition, but the console needs to be completely rebuilt. Its tonal palette is gorgeous, but I could use an 8' principal in the swell, and the mixtures are a bit strident.
  • CharlesW
    Understand, CK. I had one of those three-rank 50s Schantz mixtures that could cut glass. There was a gorgeous 2' principal in the mixture. I had it re-racked as a straight rank and playable by itself. It still plays in the mixture but the remaining two ranks have been revoiced for human ears. I will send you a private message about the company that rebuilt my console for a very reasonable price.
  • BruceL
    Schoenstein is a perfect example of "isn't it great we all like different things?": for a concert hall organ, I'd think it would do well. For a parish program that does a lot of the repertoire from Renaissance on through the present day, it would be problematic because Jack Bethards' envisioning of the organ's tonal structure is very orchestral. Their construction was also somewhat suspect in the past, but I haven't heard bad things lately.

Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn