Regina Cæli Motet SAB and ATB easy cure for the missing 4th person!
  • JesJes
    G'Day,

The choir I sing in has 4 people and once a month one of the four goes missing to work in a book shop - either our alto or our bass. Our tenor is really a baritone that has a go at the high notes when in the mood, and I normally sing soprano in our 4 configuration but will have a hack at alto and tenor every now and then.
    For this reason I made a series of motets that have two copies one where when one of the girls is away we just have 1 upper part and when one of the boys is away we just have 1 lower part. A few motets are coming your way that are in this style so keep your eyes peeled if you have a small accomplished choir.

Just sat down today and spent about 10 minutes knocking up a motet for Regina Cæli for 3 part choir.
    The top line is the chant so if you want to extend it then just use the top line first then break into parts. You might want to add a verse of a prayer in simple tone in between.
    Such as:
    Gaude et lætare, Virgo Maria, alleluia.
    R. Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia.

I chose the time-signature of 8/8 with a pattern of 3, 3, 2 quavers. This might be something that is a bit tricky at first for non-professional musos so try to get into it by tapping knee clap clap knee clap clap knee clap!

GB,
    Jes
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    equal 3-3-2 rhythm is pretty common and well-known to 5-string banjo pickers who play bluegrass music.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    Good grief! You make me seem like a right galah! There's buckleys chance that I'll give it another burl just to change it out of banjo material?! :P banjos are not welcome!!! Hahaha burn all banjos!
    I chose 8/8 because of Finnish folk music so I know it is doable and effective if people are willing to give it a fair go. I do the knee clap clap thing to teach the kids choir.
    In all seriousness though I do however have a 9/8 version for those that really cannot get the rhythm or just plain don't like counting. No wuccas.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    I think I need an Aussie to English glossary!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Don't change it because of bluegrass rhythms! 3-3-2 & 2-3-3 are pretty common throughout history, both secular and sacred.
    Thanked by 2Jes Adam Wood
  • SalieriSalieri
    3-3-2 sounds like Old Solesmes ictus to me. Nice work.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jes
  • Heath
    jesearle, send me a PM with your e-mail, if you don't mind . . . I may have some pieces you can take a look at for your personnel.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    right galah

Ignorant sod.
    There's buckleys chance that I'll give it another burl...

Slim chance of trying this again.
    If people are willing to give it a fair go

If amateurs are happy to rehearse this a bit and give it a chance!
    Burn all banjos!

Put a banjo on the fire!
    No wuccas

No worries! I'm joking!

Unintentional solesmes Ictus used so if it sounds like that awesome because I have limited solesmes knowledge.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • eft94530eft94530
    Put a banjo on the fire!

I thought you would say "banjo on the bar-bee".
    After all, it is outside of Lent
    (at which time i am guessing "shrimp on the bar-bee" would apply).
    Purple bold.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    As long as we're talking Aussie colloquialisms, I must ask, Miss Dundee - do you like vegemite? (Or just seeing non-Aussie's reactions when they eat it?).
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    Hahaha @eft94530 struth we eat prawns!!! Only that croc hunter Hoges speaks like that for Hollywood. Drives us batty. Also we spell it Barbie! Like the doll!

@StimsonInRehab Vegemite is awesome on toast with cheese and avo!!! Marmite, tastes awful!
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Just regularly ship me a supply of Tim Tams, thank you very much. Aussie's best biccie ever. Nothing like a Tim Tam Slam, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21roNtt7JNE
    Thanked by 2Jes StimsonInRehab
  • JesJes
    Tim tam slams are great.

Joke is USA owns arnotts, arnotts make Tim tams, tim tams by some miracle are still made in Australia (from imported ingredients most of the time) and as if that isn't funny enough Tim tams aren't easily found in USA despite everybody over there loving them.
    Those chicks are going off, that is hilarious! Betcha they actually enjoyed the sugar hit! They are slamming with little technique. Small nip out of the far diagonal corners makes the best slam otherwise you're cactus.
    We've even had Aussie companies start to make fake Tim tams that cannot compare in taste or texture and some aren't even fully air-tight sealed/coated in chocolate so you look like a dag trying to slam it! So tim tams are no longer made in Melbourne but we still get them sent to us from Sydney and Brisbane whose companies expanded because their states are less patriotic and more concerned about real taste.
    And now Tim tams come in just about any flavour known possible, including Black Forest and yes Vegemite time tams have also come out and carked it shortly after as some sort of a merge with Cadbury and a whole bunch of celebrity chefs from overseas has tried to meddle with the original recipe to the point of complete chaos.
    Risky slamming causes most of a Tim tam to fall in the cuppa wrecking both the Tim tam and the beverage. Tim tam slams were unknown until a campaign advertising Tim tams was launched with the idea and in order to help amateur slammers they also launched their double chocolate coated Tim tams specially made for slamming and not breaking! Up til then you'd occasionally meet rare people who just said "my dad uses Tim tams like a straw for his cuppa."

Chocolate teddy slams and mint slice biscuit slams are both my favourite and taste pretty much identical.

My question is did you blokes really drink milk with your Oreos always or do you really do the twist and lick? (Incidentally Tim tams also come in Oreo flavour and cannot be twisted.)

On an actual church music related note.
    We're restoring our heritage listed organ and it's old enough to have ivory key coating which on a regular basis breaks off and cuts my fingers! Do we scrap it for ivorine, bone, wood or keep the Ivory and just replace some of it with ivorine? You blokes use organs that are of more varied age than ours so you might come across this more often, nobody from round here seems to have any idea what's the go. I think heritage says we should make the keys wood. I don't want to have a barney with either the heritage peeps or the animal protection mob so I guess I wanna know what is more common in older organs where you guys are. Specifically older organs sourced from Germany.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
    OMG TIM TAMS ARE FRICKIN DELICIOUS, SLAMMED OR OTHERWISE
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jes
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Tim Tams have been available here in the USA off and on, usually at Target stores, in a few flavours. I think that Keebler is the USA distributor. I first was able to purchase them,imported, at the Foods of All Nations shop in Charlottesville, Virginia many years ago. Of course, it was an Aussie colleague that first introduced me to them. I once ordered a rather large quantity in bulk from some supplier for friends and myself and to give as gifts. You're right that the girls' Tim Tam Slam technique is wanting. One just bites off a small corner on each end (diagonally opposite).
    Thanked by 1Jes
    Also, re Oreos: it all depends on one's mood. The thing about the twist and lick is that it takes a lot of work. An Oreo lightly held in milk, to the point where it approaches saturation, gives you a cookie which is just the right blend of crunchy and soggy.

There are those who twist, lick, then dispose the ends. Those are our equivalents of "right galahs."
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • eft94530eft94530
    Aw come on guys.
    Everyone knows you are supposed to scrape carefully
    the inside and save it for playing Mass.
  • JesJes
    EWWW one of my predecessors used to stick gum under the bottom manual and peel it off to chew during mass. It was the grossest thing ever!
  • eft94530eft94530
    The time passage between milk and cookies and Mass was maybe two minutes. And the only required part of Mass was a certain minimal text of the Canon.