New hymnal from St. Paul's!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It will be interesting to see this!!
  • Kathy
    Is this a parish hymnal?
  • CGM
    It appears to be a hymnal just for St. Paul's Parish, though if they get enough inquiries, they may consider selling it to others. Considering that there is no "how to buy it" info on the website, I don't think they're looking to market it - or perhaps not yet, anyway...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Chonak, Liam, Richard et alia Boston folk-without presupposition, was imprimatur/nihil obstat petitioned and granted by S.C. O'Malley?
  • donr
    I want one.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    I want one.

Me too!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • francis
    me three
  • Me too! I'm all four it!
  • MatthewRoth
    It looks exciting, but what about all the copies of Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles the parish used? There has been less Marier of late, I heard. One can argue some things, like his pointed psalms (now out of date, I think, because of the lectionary), are transitional, but they were/are valuable and were a light in a dark time for sacred music.
  • I see that Edmund Murray was on the staff.
    This, in itself, commends this book.
    I'll be asking him about it.
  • chonakchonak
    I hate to think of it, but I expect that the parish probably dumped all those (worn) copies of HPSC. On the other hand, the pew copies were the melody-only edition, so they wouldn't be all that useful to people reading this forum.

As for the psalms, I know there are various opinions on this point, but since the book was approved by the local bishop way back when, I think those psalm settings still meet the criteria of the GIRM for sung use.

Before the parish can print copies for sale outside the parish, they'll need to secure the necessary permissions by copyright holders.

I don't know what ecclesiastical permissions the book has, since I haven't seen it yet.
  • Liam
    I will be brief to provide context: it's virtually bereft of anything from Ted Marier and completely bereft of anything from John Dunn, and it has a lot of music that is foreign to the repertoire that the parish used for decades (going back before HP&SC to Cantus Populi and even before that). Many people are not positively excited.
  • MatthewRoth
    So basically it works in many places other than the place that put it together?
  • Liam
    My understanding is that the parish copies were sold to someone who has an appreciation for the body of work that was being...superceded...by the new hymnal.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    At least it doesn't seem to have been a tea party type of disposal.
  • ryandryand
    it has a lot of music that is foreign to the repertoire that the parish used for decades

Sometimes that's a good thing.

(I don't know anything about that parish, just a general statement)
  • Liam
    Ryand

In this case, it would be counterexample of not. (Which is not to argue that the former repertoire needed to be preserved in amber.)

Chuck

A small but important mercy. The way this was handled was a Parthian shot of sorts, but all is not lost and people maintain hope that the future is not lost for this body of work and over 50 years of deep parish experience. I'll refrain from saying more at this juncture.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • KyleM18
    CGM: I had inquired when I first heard about the hymnal. The response I received said that they are still trying to get the copyright clearance to sell the hymnal.

Over all, from what I've seen and heard of it, it would make a definite option for any parish looking for a well-rounded traditional hymnal. I'm much too young to have seen much of Marier, but the psalm settings used from the hymnal are very well done.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Priestboi
    So what's inside it? Anyone with an inkling?
  • eft94530eft94530
    "You must pass it to find out what is in it."
  • The way this was handled was a Parthian shot of sorts, but all is not lost and people maintain hope that the future is not lost for this body of work and over 50 years of deep parish experience.
    Obviously there is not the belief in the parish that there is "a future for this body of work and over 50 years of deep parish experience."

Otherwise, they would not have gone to the time and expense of publishing a new hymnal.

It's easy on the outside to declare the legacy of former directors "holy" without being part of the parish and knowing why change is required. I'm quite sure that Many people are positively excited. Otherwise they would not have done this.

Of course, MANY people with an interest in the music in a parish means 20% of the people...so only 10% are for it and 10% against it.

The other 80% don't care. Pareto Principle split in half.

The Parthian shot was a military tactic made famous by the Parthians, an ancient Iranian people. The Parthian archers mounted on light horse, while retreating at a full gallop, would turn their bodies back to shoot at the pursuing enemy. The maneuver required superb equestrian skills, since the rider's hands were occupied by his bow. As the stirrup had not been invented at the time of the Parthians, the rider relied solely on pressure from his legs to guide his horse. The tactic also could be used during feigned retreat, with devastating effect.

You wound, like Parthians, while you fly,
    And kill with a retreating eye.

— Samuel Butler, An Heroical Epistle of Hudibras to His Lady (1678)[1]
    This tactic was used by most Eurasian nomads, including the Scythians, Huns, Turks, Magyars, and Mongols, and it eventually spread to armies away from the Eurasian steppe, such as the Sassanid clibanarii and cataphracts.

A notable battle in which this tactic was employed (by the Parthians) was the Battle of Carrhae. In this battle the Parthian shot was a principal factor in the Parthian victory over the Roman general Crassus.
  • chonakchonak
    Obviously there is not the belief in the parish that there is "a future for this body of work and over 50 years of deep parish experience."

Otherwise, they would not have gone to the time and expense of publishing a new hymnal.

Noel's comment seems to assume that the parish and its leadership are one and the same.

Perhaps a suitable analogy may appear in the distinction between what Vatican II called for in 1962 and what the Consilium produced in 1969: a new edition was wanted, but the one produced differed from the previous edition in some aspects, such that it disappointed some of the people called upon to use it.
  • Liam
    Noel

The foundation for your comment is lacking.
  • BruceL
    Marier legacy aside, this seems like an extremely strong hymnal advisory board!
  • Forum commenters with ties to St. Paul parish in Cambridge have wisely chosen to remain mute these past few years regarding the tensions dividing their community. My silence reflects a fond and admiring relationship with many directly involved. Nothing is served in airing grievances that will be read primarily by those lacking an intimacy with context.

That context requires a memory of the long evolution and eventual acceptance of Catholics into a once hostile university environment and the heroic triumph of one beloved person, Theodore Marier, in establishing St. Paul’s as a center of musical and liturgical acclaim; it also demands an awareness of philosophical shifts that came with changing choir school leadership, the ending of Archdiocesan sponsorship of the school and pressing needs for new modes of marketing and fundraising, and most importantly, that a recent, controversial pastorate was perceived by many as abrasive and dismissive of community input. The parish lost a significant number of members as well as the money they contributed.

No one one argues whether a new hymnal was needed, but unfortunately the new edition has become a symbol of the broader conflict. It’s omissions are seen locally as an affront to a cherished history and unique parish identity. Whether the newly appointed pastor, a choir school alumnus, will be able to calm the waters and rebuild community support remains to be seen.
  • Just so people can see the contents of the new Hymnal:
  • francis
    Does anyone know of the theological soundness of the hymn texts, etc.?
  • Liam
    Randolph

Thank you. My first contextual intervention here was based on the fact that HP&SC and the body of work represented by it* have been the subject of inquiry by many people over many years here (and elsewhere, of course), and I wanted to clarify that, while the new hymnal succeeds it in temporal terms, its substantive relationship to HP&SC is fairly low compared to what many might otherwise assume. I think that's a valid clarification given the past here and elsewhere.

* To further clarify: Not just content authored by Theodore Marier, John Dunn and their contemporary colleagues in sacred music.
  • BruceL
    Thank you, John! I was going to hunt up your contact info today: hope you all had a lovely Easter!

Also, to the ongoing Marier discussion: I understand this and have certainly experienced (existentially?) the same thing when John Scott (of happy memory) came into St. Thomas Church, 5th Ave, after my own teacher. There were, of course, many changes. However, I think it would have been unfair to make Scott overly beholden to Gerre's legacy. Indeed, freeing him from that helped the choir prosper, and I would say they sounded better during John Scott's tenure.

In any case, I hope people at St. Paul are extending the same courtesy to John Robinson!
  • ...see the contents...

I especially like the index of Latin and Greek original texts!
    Really smart!
    Nobody (to my knowledge) has done this since The English Hymnal of 1906.
    I notice that Walsingham's choirmaster was on the board, so it must be good.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • Liam
    "I especially like the index of Latin and Greek original texts!"

I like that, too.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Of course (wouldn't you know it!), the index of original first lines in The English Hymnal also has German, Syriac, Russian, Welsh, Italian, Irish, Danish, and... Swahili.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The contents and indices look very good, indeed.
  • PhatFlute
    ha-ha what does the funny word mean ? for an example, Των ίερων άθλόφορων,

Ph

Thanked by 1canadash
  • PhatFlute
    it is clearly it is not a sequel but a << prequel >> to the former hymnal ?

Ph
  • Here is the hymn, Ton ieron athlophoron (for martyrs), that PhatFlute references, as found at no. 187 in the English Hymnal, sung to Weimar. Author: St Joseph the Hymnographer, IXth cent.; trans. J.M. Neale.

Let our choir new anthems raise,
    Wake the morn with gladness;
    God himself to joy and praise
    Turns the Martyrs' sadness:
    This the day that won their crown,
    Opened heaven's bright portal,
    As they laid the mortal down
    And put on the immortal.

Never flinched they from the flame,
    From the torture never;
    Vain the foeman's sharpest aim,
    Satan's best endeavour;
    For by faith they saw the land
    Decked in all its glory,
    Where triumphant now they stand
    With the victor's story.

Up and follow, Christian men!
    Press through toil and sorrow;
    Spurn the night of fear, and then,
    O, the glorious morrow!
    Who will venture on the strife?
    Who will first begin it?
    Who will grasp the land of life?
    Warriors, up and win it!

(Clearly, this wasn't penned in the XXIst century!)

(Now! If it hadn't been for a Greek index or two, we likely wouldn't be discussing this gem! --- Thanks to St Paul's Hymnal and PhatFlute.)
    Thanked by 2canadash PhatFlute