The Easter Wiggle
  • JonLaird
    Overheard at last Thursday's rehearsal:

"If, in classical Latin, 'v' is pronounced like 'w' and 'g' is always hard, does that mean we're rehearsing for the Easter Wiggle-Mass?"

You can just imagine where it went from there!
    Thanked by 2G Casavant Organist
  • dad29
    There's a reason that church Latin is NOT the same as classical Latin. You just found it.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • CharlesW
    By the time church Latin developed, the language had undergone significant changes - not always for the better. Some of our local Latin scholars can get really upset with church Latin.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • SalieriSalieri
    You should come and listen to my choir sing "ag-noos day-ee kvee tol-lis pek-ka-ta mun-dee: do-na no-bees pah-tsem". I love it.
  • Liam
    Germanic Latin, I assume....

Americans are sheltered.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "ag-noos day-ee kvee tol-lis pek-ka-ta mun-dee: do-na no-bees pah-tsem"

Why?

I love it.

Why?
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    To paraphrase Mr. Chips: vicissim is "once more", not the answer to the question "what do we do when we meet a pretty girl?"
    Thanked by 1G
  • MatthewRoth
    My pastor sometimes pronounces his g’s like he is a German. I sometimes have French Latin, and I also sometimes have a hard time with “c,” “ct,” and “th” (Corinthios becomes Cor-in-thee-os and not Cor-in-tee-os, which is bizarre, because of my French affectation).
  • We are. in fact, doing some 'French' and 'German' Latin as alternatim at the recital I'm playing this very Low Sunday. The French chant (with de Grigny versets) is in the slow semi-metrical and trill-graced XVIIth century plain chant musical style, complete with a sharp or two. (Sorry, for those who are 'more-purist-than-thou' - no serpent this time 'round.)

Here is the phonetic version I have provided for my schola. Who can guess what the Latin original is of these even numbered stanzas of a well-known hymn?

Seu-mahnz ee-yood 'Ah-veh'
    Gah-bri-eh-leez oh-ruh
    foohn-da nohz in pah-say
    mooh-tahnz Eh-vay noh-mahn.

Moh(n)-stra teh eh-say man-trah(m)
    seu-mah pehr teh preh-sah(m)
    kyooee proh noh-bee nah-teu ('kyooee' sung rapidly as 'one syllable' in XVIIth cent.)
    teu-leet ehs-say teu-eu.

Vee-tah(m) preh-tah peu-rah(m)
    ee-tehr pah-rah teu-uhm
    eu vee-dah(n)-tehz Yay-suh(m)
    sah(m)-pehr coh-lay-tay-meur.

(It's not for nothing that even Erasmus complained that Latin, which was 'supposed to be' an universal tongue, could not be understood going from one country to the next because everyone pronounced it as he pronounced his own language. Hence, Salieri's Polish choir above. Even today, not everyone subscribes to the pronounce-Latin-as-if-it-were-modern-Italian convention. The Germans, for instance - nor are they the only ones.)

• JonLaird
    That would be Ave Maris Stella!
  • dad29
    because of my French affectation

That can be treated with medicine.
  • ...can be treated...

No. There is no cure.
    Despite what many think, people with French affectation syndrome are born that way.
    This is not a choice.
    Trying to change them does severe psychological damage.
  • dad29
    not everyone subscribes to the pronounce-Latin-as-if-it-were-modern-Italian convention. The Germans, for instance

Yah, well, the Germans also have a problem with marriage, ya'know.
  • dad29
    Trying to change them does severe psychological damage

Well, then they'll meet Nurse Ratched.
  • ...a problem with...

So far as I have observed, this seems to be a universal 'problem'.
    I doubt that the Germans have more trouble here than Americans.
    In fact, it would be interesting which country had the longest waiting line for annulments - not to mention the greatest number of 'serial marriages', which are a bald, shameful, and shameless version of polygamy.
  • MatthewRoth
    J'adore la France...
  • J'adore ...

I was smitten with Francophilia when in early youthdom. Since then, I am blessed with Francophilia and Anglophilia in equal measure. One can be dominant depending on the hour, the day, or the season.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Hispanophilia I've never suffered from.
    And don't ask me why, because I shant tell you.
    I do, though, get a mild case of Austrophilia from time to time.
  • OraLabora
    I was smitten with Francophilia when in early youthdom. Since then, I am blessed with Francophilia and Anglophilia in equal measure. One can be dominant depending on the hour, the day, or the season.

It depends on whether one is in the mood for warm beer or fine but overpriced wine :-)
  • a_f_hawkins
    It's Tradition, French wine and English beer were both developed to mature in barrels in cellars at cellar temperature (about 50F / 10C in these latitudes). Artificially chilled beer is analagous to electronic organs.
  • ...is analagous to...

Egad!
    Does this mean that I have been drinking beer simulacra all these years?
  • CharlesW
    Egad!
    Does this mean that I have been drinking beer simulacra all these years?

Hehehehe. LOL.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I prefer German Beer and English liturgy, and never never never the other way around.
  • MatthewRoth
    This!