Psalm 22 : Antiphon and Verse Setting for Good Friday : by Koerber
  • francis
    I composed this back in 2012 and never performed it. I think someone on this forum did however. I am upgrading it and posting it to my website and performing it on Good Friday with my schola.

The verses are coming next in a couple of hours or so, then the link to get it from my website.

Sorry I am so late on this... busy time of year, as you well know.

It can be performed with a simple 8' flute and coupled to the pedal with a 16' flute, or it can be sung SATB a cappella or with organ. The verses are for the cantor(s).

See and Hear the Antiphon
  • Spriggo
    We've used this for the last three years, and it's beautiful.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    Ah, yes... Spriggo. I couldn't remember who it was that used it. Thanks for letting me know.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • ryandryand
    I like this. Too late to teach my amateur choristers though. Repost in early Lent next year. ;-)
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    it will be permanently available on MyOpus.com once I upload it. I only ask for a very minor fee... $1 per chorister, or a 5$ minimum for downloading and using for unlimited times in a single parish.

http://www.myopus.com/catalogue
  • francis
    I have broken my own rules and composed something in English. Eventually I suspect it will be abrogated.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    once I upload it.

I don't see it yet available. Final Triduum rehearsal Weds. evening.
  • francis
    Sorry Melo. I got in the bog... upload in a few mins.
  • francis
    I am offering this for free since I am using a text that is copyrighted. Let me know how it goes or if anything needs adjusting.

Download Score

Note: A mistake has been spotted. In Tone B of the verses, measure 4, the second half note in the alto voice should be a middle C (not a D above middle C) UPDATE: fixed this in the pdf.

General performance note: Use an 8' flute or a principal if it is not too overwhelming. Notes that are the same from beat to beat are usually tied (although not shown that way in the score). This can be a good practice in accompanying chant. If SATB singing is applied for the Antiphon, simply "sing" the accompaniment respectively.

Here is a version of the antiphon that helps in singing the SATB.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • francis
    anyone do this? I did for first time.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    At first I was wondering why someone would sing psalm 22 on Good Friday - then I realized you are actually referring to psalm 21.
  • Spriggo
    anyone do this?

Yes, we did it again. It was lovely.