Another other side of...
  • MBWMBW
    Buoyed by the overwhelming response to my "Other side of…" post, I am encouraged to ignite another passionate discussion of unexpected works.

This time, how about congregational works by composers known mainly as composers in other forms. Here is my pump priming:

Anton Heiller English Mass McLaughlin and Reilly
    Jean Langlais Te Deum Composer's Forum for Catholic Worship
    Malcolm Williamson has 15 psalm settings with congregational refrains, several quite usable.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • We've just started adding the rather odd Langlais "Mass God Have Mercy" (sic) to our rota of mass settings. Like much of Langlais' output in general (he is France's very own Gordon Young, after all), it's not superb but it is serviceable and includes parts for cantor, choir, and congregation. Seriously good congregational music would include James Macmillan: the St. Anne's Mass, the Galloway Mass, and the Mass of Blessed John Henry Newman are all fine compositions.

It's worth mentioning that congregational music, by its nature, cannot be held to the same standard of quality that "professional" music can. I would posit that the very best congregational mass setting, whatever it may be, is not as good as the worst choral mass setting by, say, Mozart.
    Thanked by 1MBW
  • SalieriSalieri
    I would posit that the very best congregational mass setting, whatever it may be, is not as good as the worst choral mass setting by, say, Mozart.

Well, to a certain extent that would depend on one's opinion of Mozart---Koerber & al. might think otherwise...
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Like much of Langlais' output in general (he is France's very own Gordon Young, after all)

Beg to differ.

It's worth mentioning that congregational music, by its nature, cannot be held to the same standard of quality that "professional" music can. I would posit that the very best congregational mass setting, whatever it may be, is not as good as the worst choral mass setting by, say, Mozart.

It's sad that you have never been exposed to Gregorian Chant...
  • CharlesW
    It's worth mentioning that congregational music, by its nature, cannot be held to the same standard of quality that "professional" music can.

Sad to say, many who write contemporary congregational music are just not all that talented. What they produce is commercial music that will likely be gone and forgotten in fifty years.

Like much of Langlais' output in general (he is France's very own Gordon Young, after all)

I have never liked much of Langlais, either. There are exceptions. However, I am using a Young anthem for Easter this year, and it's not bad.