Exultet with violin accompaniment
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    My uncle's church wants me to chant the Exultet on Holy Saturday, and they have a violinist who goes there that wants to accompany me. Is there music for an accompaniment somewhere?
  • MatthewRoth
    Can I ask why on earth would anyone want to accompany the Exultet with violin?? I know some here have had to play the organ for the celebrant, and, with respect to those whose pastors have asked, even that’s going too far...
  • MBWMBW
    Given the evidence of human genius through history (I mean Bach, Mozart, etc), it is conceivable that someone could write a violin part which would add to the beauty of the exulted.

However, I don't think this has happened or is likely to happen.

Therefore, my advice to my millions of readers: put away the gold leaf, the lily is just fine as it is.
  • CharlesW
    I am accompanying it on the organ because the priest asked that I do so. It is probably a good idea since, despite a good voice, I don't think he could stay on pitch through it all. I am using the J. Michael Thomson version revised for the new missal, available from WLP for around $1.90. Buy the download and save shipping costs. It has the missal music and text, of course, and an organ accompaniment. I am not aware of any rules or regulations that either forbid accompanying the Exsultet, or any legislation requiring it. That being the case, your preference is as good as anyone else's, keeping in mind that you may have been told to accompany it.

Despite preferences to the contrary - and that is all they are, preferences - remember that organs were introduced 1,000 or so years ago to accompany chant. It is an ancient and venerable practice, so no apologies should be offered to those who disagree.
  • MBWMBW
    My comment was referring only to adding the violin solo (or, by extension, other solo instruments) to the exultet. I am not against chordal organ accompaniment.

In fact, wouldn't it be very nice if one had a string quartet who were skilled and trained enough to play a modal chordal accompaniment to the exultet. Never going to happen in this musically impoverished church life, but it is certainly possible.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Well, it's also worth noting that the traditional practice of the church has always been that the organ is silent, or at least only when required, until the gloria. So adding something that is not genuinely needed to support the singing doesn't mesh very well with that, to say nothing of the artistic merit.
  • doneill
    Adding instrumental parts to any chant is just more trouble than it's worth. You have to write out parts in modern notation in mixed meter, for one thing. Good liturgical organists harmonize the vocal lines and pay attention to textual accents. The other thing I could envision would be a drone instrument. Even a good sensitive violinist would take away the focus from the words of the singer. Save yourself the stress - maybe the violinist could play from the Gloria on.
  • CharlesW
    If you are in the EF, of course you are following a different set of rules. So are we in the OF form. What I like about the Thompson accompaniment is that it is mostly drone-like. It isn't obtrusive.

So adding something that is not genuinely needed to support the singing doesn't mesh very well with that, to say nothing of the artistic merit.

Said by someone who has the ability to stay on pitch. LOL. I wish I had a few more singers like that. Last year a deacon with a good voice sang the Exsultet. He doesn't read music and simply got lost in it. It was a disaster that had to be fixed before this year. Fortunately, a priest stepped up and volunteered. He needs a light accompaniment, but that's OK. I would rather have a priest sing it, anyway.
  • BenBen
    If you are in the EF, of course you are following a different set of rules. So are we in the OF form.

I didn't say EF. I said the church's traditional practice (cf. GIRM no. 42)

And I'm not even totally against accompaniment in every single case, but it should be used to support the pitch (like a very simple organ accompaniment), not something ornamental like a violin.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CharlesW
    Although a violin can be played simply, I understand what you mean. I am allowed to use the organ to accompany singing, and even did use it a bit more than that to play a couple of lovely Reger chorales during "Pink" Sunday last Sunday. All allowed, but I don't do preludes and postludes during Lent. I will be using the organ tonight in about two hours for Stations of the Cross and Solemn Benediction.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I don't "get" a valid rationale for this pairing (maybe if there were musical buzzing bees.) If there is supreme moment for the simplicity of the singular voice imparting the "in toto" of the Christian theology of Resurrection, this proclamation would be it. In accord with the notion that sung chant (even if not in Latin) comprises a language unto itself, if the cleric/lay cantor is capable, what else is necessary? It's intrinsically counter-intuitive.
  • CharlesW
    ...if the cleric/lay cantor is capable...

"Aye, there's the rub." Shakespeare in Hamlet
  • Thompson is a wonderful fellow who breathes decorum and propriety (and directed the polyphony at my wedding, not that I'm biased or anything). If it is to be done accompanied or chorally, do it that way...

That aside, all this violin thing illustrates is how everyone wants in on the Exsultet always. Why Gregorius Magnus banned his deacons from singing...
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Just to let y'all know, I have decided I can't do the exsultet on Holy Saturday. It's just too soon after my dad's death. I just don't have it in me right now.
  • There is greater precedent for a serpent.
    A violin would be awfully innovative.
    Thanked by 1Ben