Music for 'My Lord and My God'
  • bonniebede
    the memorial acclamation (only permissible in IRELAND) 'My Lord and my God' seems very suitable for use in th Easter season (echoing Thomas. However it does not seem to have any given musical setting.

Just wondering if anyone can suggest a musical fragment, maybe from some chant, or has some idea, or would like to write something which could be used?
    Pretty please?
    Or maybe here is given music which I have missed?
  • francis
    what is entire text? can write one in as many seconds are there are syllables.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • francis
    btw... just read this on wiki...

"The memorial acclamations that follow suggest that "the mystery of faith" refers, in its new context, to "the entire mystery of salvation through Christ's death, resurrection and ascension, which is made present in the celebration of the Eucharist". An alternative memorial acclamation permitted in Ireland, "My Lord and my God", was disapproved of by Pope Paul VI for seemingly concentrating on the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist rather than on Eucharistic sacrifice as a whole, but even this may be interpreted in the same sense, since it is a repetition of what in John 20:28 refers to Christ as risen and as still bearing the marks of his suffering.[10]"
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • I'm not so sure it is permissible in Ireland any longer. It's not included in the revised Order of Mass promulgated in 2011 - http://www.catholicbishops.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Order-of-Mass.pdf

The way I heard it, the abuse scandals meant that the Irish bishops had very little negotiating power with Rome at the time when local variations of the order were being suggested, so very little chance of getting their peculiarities accepted.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • bonniebede
    It is printed in the missal, mostly on the web our bishops website carries things over from other episcopal conferences which may be slightly different to what is issued in printed form (grr)

Francis - 'my Lord and my god' is the whole text!
  • ryandryand
    Attached.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    That sounds like reverse engineering to me! That was what was suggested for the congregation to say (think) to them selves at the Elevations. It is not from any actual Liturgical documents.
  • MatthewRoth
    The Irish had it added officially, probably because everyone was praying it already.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • kevinfkevinf
    It could be worse..."we remember how you loved us...."
    Thanked by 1G
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I think we all need to "keep in mind....." ;-)
    Thanked by 1G
  • francis
    official or not, here is a melody. for the record, i did not write this. (please send jelly bellies or serious licorice)
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • igneusigneus
    @francis I miss a clef. Is it meant as "place clef anywhere you want, it makes sense in every possible mode" ? :)
  • francis
    ah yes... forgot to include the clef. its a treble clef, but i am sure you could apply it to some of the modes.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is a setting, based on part of the other Memorial Acclamation settings in my Ascension Mass. It can be sung unison or in 4-part harmony, accompanied or a cappella.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    The antiphon Misi digitum meum (p. 392, pdf p. 413) contains the "Dominus meus et Deus meus" from John 20. Perhaps someone could adapt that portion?
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • bonniebede
    The antiphon Misi digitum meum (p. 392, pdf p. 413) contains the "Dominus meus et Deus meus" from John 20. Perhaps someone could adapt that portion?

Thank you so much for this idea. I passed it on to the nine year old head girl of my schola, and she is busy working on it - and thrilled to think she is composing a proper adaptation of real music... clemens you are a genius!
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Glad I helped.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Is this a response to "the mystery of faith" (and so being a 2nd, perhaps 3rd - though now vocal - iteration for the congregants)?
  • MatthewRoth
    Yes.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    That seems a little odd to me.

I suppose this line of "My Lord, and My God" is closer to what the Mystery of Faith in this part of the Mass is, except that it doesn't make any sense as a response to that prompt.

Of course - I'm not sure why it was pulled out of the Consecration and put into its own part of the Novus Ordo, anyway.

I've never understood how we got from
    "For this is the Chalice of My blood, of the New and Eternal Testament. The Mystery of Faith..." (depending on your missal, maybe a slightly different translation)
    to
    "The Mystery of Faith - *insert one line or another about His death, Resurrection, and 2nd Coming*".
  • MatthewRoth
    The only thing that makes a little sense is removing “Mysterium fidei.” I would not have done that because of the antiquity of the Roman consecration. Even if it wasn’t original, it is for our purposes. There was another thread on this, but I argue that not only do the responses hurt the goal held by more “progressive liturgists” of focusing on the seamless whole of the anaphora, in their zealotry they miss the forest for the trees and miss that the traditional Canon, especially when labelled as such through the Agnus Dei, achieves their goal better than any tinkering has or could. Until 1962, the heading “Canon Missae” was from Te igitur through the Agnus Dei, whereas the 1962 heading stops at the page containing Per quem haec omnia.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CCooze
  • eft94530eft94530
    Maybe this whole "insert something" is an adult version of what is found in
    Directory For Masses With Children ?
  • chonakchonak
    We had a discussion on the origin of the memorial acclamation a few weeks ago. The texts used in the modern Roman rite were not invented out of thin air, but are based on excerpts from certain Eastern liturgies that have a similar acclamation. In that context, it's not surprising if the Holy See chooses not to add texts from other sources.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I see. They were only somewhat invented out of thin air.

Regardless, I still don't think that "My Lord, and My God" makes much sense as a response to the prompt of "The Mystery of Faith" ... unless the priest is still holding the consecrated host or the chalice at the time of its being said.
    Not that any of the other response options in the US make much sense, either.

It's just taken so completely out of context - and so I think "Amen" is the most sensible option if they can't just be smart enough to put it back into the words of the consecration.
    It's really frustrating, because even when I first remember hearing this (I was raised on the TLM), I thought nuh-uh, that's not the mystery - that's pretty much the easiest part of our Faith to understand...