Ellecombe Fanfare (Tpt & Org)
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    I spend about 97.5% of my time on this forum lurking, but I've made a post here and there. Anyway, I always enjoy seeing the new compositions people post and I thought I'd put one up myself. Some background about myself, I guess, would be in order, because I don't think I've done a proper introduction:

My name, as my username most definitly gives away, is Zac; I herald from a bit outside of Madison, WI. I've just completed my bachelors this last December at UW-Platteville, where I studied trumpet mainly, but picked up organ as a "side" instrument as well. (If you're in the Dane County area and need/would like a trumpet player, what with Easter coming up.....) Composing, however, has always been my main interest, though due to circumstances completely out of my control, was something I had to pretty much teach myself (with the occasional guidance from my band/orch-directors in grade school), though not without the rare reward (the occasional performance, premier, etc...). I could go into my exposure to church music, but I don't want to turn this into an autobiography.

This piece was written this last summer at the request of a friend in my trumpet studio, who asked me if I knew any good fanfares for Trumpet and Organ that he could use at his [reformed/protestant] church within two weeks with one rehearsal. Knowing the laughable state of music for trumpet and organ (where the organ part is almost always written with Diane Bish or Virgil Fox in mind and the trumpet part treats notes in the staff as too low), I offered to write him one, and finished it in a little less than a week. It's all based in the hymn-tune "Ellecombe", which despite its heavy use by Anglicans, is actually a German Catholic tune, that's been paired with a Marian text and a Eucharistic text (which is much more similar in meter to the English texts used).

I had a week to write it, so it's not my most profound piece of musical literature, but my friend liked it, I like it, and it's reasonably playable. There's a recording of my friend playing this with my organ professor/orch director on my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/zachary-p-b-chner/fanfare-der-du-im-heilgsten-sakrament

Otherwise, let me know what you think, and feel free to use it anytime (save Lent and/or Requiems/Funerals).
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Heath
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Welcome to the forum, Zac ... oder sollte ich "herzlich willkommen" sagen, lol. I'm in western Wisconsin (Hudson), and Ben Yanke and Aristotle Esguerra are both in the Madison area. I was mildly amused that you used German markings and annotations in the score, but perhaps they are for the organist? Anyway, thanks for posting the fanfare! I hope you will post more compositions and give a try at choral composition, too.

Chuck Giffen
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • Very, very nice!
    Do you have a Lutheran background?
    German Catholic?
    Or just Germanophile, Teutonic, heritage?

Your fanfare is admirably tasteful and smart.
    Please do more - and publish a set.
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    Thank you! Aristotle Esguerra actually played at my paternal Grandmother's funeral a few years ago (2011), so I've met him.

My ancestorial background is all German (even the Russian/Ukranian bit on my maternal side is ethnic German), both my grandfathers learned German first, so I'm a big Germanophile. My mother's side is a WELS (Lutheran) background, but many (my mother included) became Evangelicals, but my father's side is Catholic and settled around the Middleton/Cross-Plains area, so I have a lot of distant relatives in the area. With all the German I took in high-school and my first year of college, it's just easier for me to use German markings than Italian ones beyond the usual allegro, moderato, or adagio.

I do plan to post more church and Liturgy apropriate piece as I write them. I haven't done anything for choir yet. I usually approach composition with the "absolute music" mind-set Bruckner (the REAL third "B") would for his symphonies, so setting text is something I'm still trying to grasp. There are a couple psalms in my Douay-Rheims that I'd really like to put to music, though.
  • BenBen
    I'm not in charge of music at my parish up in dane county, so I can't help you there, but good to see another Wisconsinite on here!

Also, if you have the ability, many here like to have a midi file to take a peek at the music. Not sure if you are able, but you might add some value by doing so here.
  • RevAMG
    Another Wisconsinite! With you, Chuck, Aristotle (for the time being), Ben, and myself...we're taking over! Not to mention, Zac...my maternal family are all Buchners.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen ZacPB189
  • CharlesW
    I don't have a trumpet player, but do have a good organ trumpet. This would be nice as an organ arrangement with solo trumpet stop.
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • Thank you Zac for this fine arrangement. I hope I have an opportunity to use it soon. As an organist, who has also played a bit of trumpet, I can appreciate good arranging for both instruments. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.
    How small the world is! I am currently studying Organ Performance at the University of Kansas, but I am from Lodi, Wisconsin.
    Thanked by 2ZacPB189 CHGiffen
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    (Attached MIDI below for those interested.)

Neat! Not just fellow Wisconsinites, but potential relatives, too (though we usually spell it "Buechner")!

I don't have a trumpet player, but do have a good organ trumpet. This would be nice as an organ arrangement with solo trumpet stop.

The "Prelude" bit certainly would; the rest of it would honestly sound fine just without the trumpet part (save that one short transition).

And, of course, thank you all for your kind words!