Veiling Statues (Novus Ordo)
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    For those of you whose parishes veil statues for the Fifth Sunday of Lent, the traditional color for the veils is violet. However, I remember reading somewhere that they were perhaps changed to red for Holy Week or Good Friday? Does this ring a bell with anyone, or did I completely make it up?

Also - do you uncover the statues before the Easter Vigil begins, or during the Gloria? I've seen it done both ways.
  • MatthewRoth
    It should be done at the Gloria. But prior to 1955, the candles were already lit. So really... I don’t have a good answer. I have only ever seem the images unveiled for the Vigil in the OF context.

Violet. Always violet. The red does make sense in the Novus Ordo, but the veiling doesn’t because of the removal the Passiontide and hence you can have an unveiled cross brought in by the deacon.
  • CharlesW
    We veil them, but usually for Holy Week. Last year they were unveiled before the Easter Vigil. I didn't see it done and don't know who did it. For us, it is more a matter of few people who keep up with cleaning before the Vigil, ordering and placing flowers, assembling candles for the congregation, and etc. It seems we have to do things around the schedules of available people.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Our veils remain violet, and they are removed during the Gloria in excelsis at the vigil.
  • rarty
    Hm, the altar cross is changed to a white veil for the Mass of Holy Thursday, but other than that, only plain violet is used. (I have read that there were multiple colors used throughout Lent in medieval England though).

Pre 1955: Veils removed, candles lit and altar decorated during the litany (which was before Kyrie, Gloria and Mass).

EF/1962: Candles are lit and the altar is decorated during the litany (the 2nd part, after baptismal font business is done), but veils aren't removed until during the Gloria.

OF/2002: The Gloria is in a different place (before the litany/baptism) and it doesn't mention veils specifically, but the altar candles are to be lit during it... this is the place where most of churches I've seen bring out the flowers and un-veil images.

It seems that a somewhat dramatic re-decoration of the sanctuary during the Vigil is part of the tradition of veiling images, but doing so during the Gloria specifically is an unwritten hold-over from the reformed/post-1955 ceremony. (Which is still in use of course, with the 1962 Missal).

Since previously the images were uncovered roughly when the vestments were changed (from violet to white), a case can be made that for the modern Vigil, with only white vestments, images might be uncovered beforehand as well, especially if there are logistical issues, such as statues in inconvenient locations.
  • MatthewRoth
    Candles are lit during Exultet in older rite.
  • rarty
    MatthewRoth: Sorry by that I meant the six altar candles. I've never participated in it, but looking at the pre-1955 ceremony, the lamps in the church are lit (or turned on) during the Exsultet, which even pauses while the sanctuary lamps are lit, but not the six altar candles, which were lit during the litany, i.e. right before Mass. (And post-1955, the lamps are lit/lights are turned on after the 3rd 'Lumen Christi', when everyone's candle is lit.)
  • Of course, this isn't Novus Ordo, but -

At Walsingham all things (including processional crucifixes) are draped in violet on septuagesima. On Palm Sunday veils are changed to red. On Maundy Thursday to white. On Good Friday they are changed to black. At Gloria of the Easter vigil they are removed.

Our clerical vesture follows the same colour regimen as the veils.

We haven't yet (strangely) used the quintessentially English (Sarum) Lenten Array, but I have a feeling that this will change next year.

Our new bishop is remarkably into Anglican ways and language. He has even called Cranmer a genius. Truly, we have been blessed beyond all measure. Deo gratias... et Benedicto... et Francisco.
  • RevAMG
    The rubrics of the Roman Missal are clear about the timing. The rubrics for the Fifth Sunday of Lent state: "In the Dioceses of the United States, the practice of covering crosses and images throughout the church from this Sunday may be observed. Crosses remain covered until the end of the Celebration of the Lord’s Passion on Good Friday, but images remain covered until the beginning of the Easter Vigil." Thus, everything should be uncovered before the Easter Vigil begins. I've always seen violet veils used. The rubrics are also clear for Good Friday that the cross used for the Adoration of the Holy Cross is covered with a violet veil.