Embarassing Easter Vigil Moments
  • Well, my organist must have fallen asleep. The cantor was in the middle of verse 4 of the Exodus canticle and he stops and goes to the refrain as if there is another verse. The cantor did a really good job of covering it up, and the choir had a laugh with the director at the end of mass.

Also, don't even get me started on the baptism moments!
  • I think that the most stupid one I have heard of is about the should-have-been-deeply-embarrassed priest spoken of on another recent thread who actually thought that flicking on a bic lighter (and nothing else) fulfilled the ritual of the New Fire.

How many here still start their fires from kindling with flint, what one might call 'from scratch'? I haven't witnessed this in quite a few years, but remember well the effort that was required to really get a fire going. I think that we would all be embarrassed were any of our forebears were to appear, snickering at our sissified ways.

• MBWMBW
    The moments most embarrassing to me concern two areas: the singing of permanent deacons and the poor ceremonial preparation of catechumens and candidates.

The former includes several awful times when deacons attempted to sing the simple "Christ, our light". Indecipherable melodic content and strangled attempts at moving up a step for each invocation made for crawl-into-the-bench moments.

The latter includes candidates who did not know the liturgical responses and did not know what they were supposed to do or where they were supposed to be. Then there were those who did not even show up for the vigil after having rehearsed, thus throwing off all the choreography.

Although these were not areas for which I was personally directly responsible, I was embarrassed at these amateurish antics by my church.
  • Three years ago. In the dark sanctuary, a server knocked over the metal bowl containing the newly blessed holy water. The din was incredible.
  • And there was the time I jumped the gun on the Kyrie cue from the servers and we had to sing it twice. Sigh. I do not do well in a dark loft.
  • Last time I examined a Bic lighter, flint and steel were exactly what it used. I always thought it very appropriate to light the New Fire with one. Much better than a match, sulfur, brimstone.
    Thanked by 2MarkThompson Jahaza
  • CharlesW
    I have already mentioned our foul ups with ushers and fire on another thread. I too, have had those moments with deacons but with the Exsultet. He is a good singer, but not to the degree of being able to stay on pitch for that long and not vary from the notes. He has a good voice but doesn't read music. This year, the associate pastor will sing it to light organ accompaniment. Last year we lost 4 weeks of rehearsals because of weather right before Easter. The person who had led the Litany of the Saints assured me that it had not been forgotten in the year since we last used it. Wrong! It was totally screwed up. This year we go to plan "B" and do it another way. The organ console was scheduled for rebuild in the summer, but had become unreliable by Easter and the entire combination action had failed. Thank goodness we will not have that problem this year because the rebuild was a stunning success. However, something will go wrong this year. I have concluded there is a stray magnetic current pulsing from the ground right under the building.
  • Liam
    The reaction of the celebrant to an epileptic congregant having a seizure near the front. While pausing the liturgy waiting for EMTs to arrive from nearby, the celebrant wanted cover music from the pianist, which the pianist declined in favor of prayerful silence. Celebrant was demonstrably unhappy.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I agree that a Bic lighter is flint and steel, but the New Fire is, according to LU 1962 (my most accessible resource) a charcoal fire. MJO's comment was about a celebrant who regarded the flame of the Bic as itself the new fire, a miserably niggardly mean-spirited attitude. Personally I like to see a good blaze dispelling the darkness, of the sort with which St Patrick outraged the pagan authorities.
  • CharlesW
    Personally I like to see a good blaze dispelling the darkness, of the sort with which St Patrick outraged the pagan authorities.

If St. Patrick had our ushers, both he and the pagans would have been reduced to charcoal. ;-) What darkness? If you are doing this on a busy city street with overhead lights everywhere, there is no darkness.

BTW, an interesting read if you have time is, "At Day's Close: Night in Times Past," by A. Roger Ekirch. The History Channel did a 2-hour program based on this book. He discusses the fact that most of us never see genuine darkness and how our ancestors lived before artificial lighting.
  • Many years ago, I had a very nervous priest (filling in) turn to me in the middle of the Vigil and ask what happened next. I calmly and snark-lessly gave the correct answer and the liturgy lurched forward to its eventual and universally appreciated end. In retrospect, the best answer would have been that the final blessing was next and all that remained.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • ViolaViola
    One year the cantor singing the psalm declaimed 'the hand of the Lord has NOT triumphed'. The rest of the choir have never allowed to him forget it; his wife gave him a particularly hard time, but I suspect many in the congregation didn't notice.
  • As a tenor, many times, the director forgot that the organ was down 6 semitones and that for a tenor is difficult. I never let him past it.
  • If St. Patrick had our ushers, both he and the pagans would have been reduced to charcoal. ;-)

This ushering business, it doesn't really happen at all in Irish churches.
    Perhaps St Patrick took care of them at the same time as the snakes.
  • CharlesW
    The Irish don't have ushers because they are too independent to take direction. My Scottish ancestors were the same. LOL.
  • We once had to sing "Alleluia" between each catechumen/candidate as they went to the sacristy to put on an alb. Priest's idea, not ours.
  • I call it the "human-ness of the Catholic Church."
    Man organist friend calls it "who has the matches." On the evidence, with great scurrying and flailing of arms visible on live TV, they lined up for the processional for Evening Prayer at St Patrick and forgot the Holy Father's prayer book. It got handed to the MC around Francis's head.

Kenneth
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • The original version of my post had "human--MESS," rather than "ness," which is what I say. Maybe I'll use the new formulation depending on the situation, such as two years ago when the deacon swore he had the Exsultet down, then tried to flag down the very young choir director as he ran in for rehearsal before the Vigil and asked for help...

which help the very young choir director declined to provide as he had to see who showed up so he could decide what music to do. There just three of us, so he sang most of the psalms solo. We were awkward but did our part well. The deacon seized up in stage fright and squeaked for 10 unedurable minutes.
  • Being my first Easter Vigil, I will surely be able to contribute to this thread in a few weeks.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • When I was a Senior in high school we got a new pastor. The choir, always up front behind a semi-blocking screen, was never sprinkled with holy water. But THIS pastor was going to include the choir. One problem: he had just confirmed someone and has chrism all over his hands. The pastor held the aspergillum in his hand and flung some of the holy water towards the organist. The pastor did not maintain his grip. The aspergillum (a bulky, heavy metal thing), went flying, hit the organ keys once in the middle of whatever was being sung/played and bounced up and hit the organist square in the forehead. The organist started to bleed, we started to laugh. The organist kept playing, the director ran downstairs for a bandage and one of the old fellas in choir who had been begging to direct for years, ran down the loft steps and assumed his 'rightful' place.

The next year, during rehearsal, we presented the organist with a football helmet. :)
  • MBWMBW
    JIF, really? This is the best! Is it really true? This is the kind of story for which we might normally cherish only a forlorn hope.

This year, maybe we should all make a pact to "oil up the aspergillum" on Holy Saturday afternoon.

I'm going to make a bumper sticker to that effect.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen canadash JL
  • This is absolutely true! Every detail, including the guy who ran down to direct the choir. We had a tradition of the men in the choir having burgers and the fixings after the Easter Vigil Mass, and boy, did we all laugh a lot. (That was back in 2000.)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I love the idea of going to dinner after the Easter Vigil, but we all have to be back at 5:30am for the sunrise Mass.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Spriggo Ben
  • ...be back...

Argghhh! Sunrise masses - Argghhh!

I had to play these when I served my Lutherans. It was nice, really, when the sun shone brightly through the sanctuary window (which actually faced east) about the time of the gospel procession. My favoured offertory anthem on Easter Day was Willan's marvelous SATB setting of 'O Sing unto the Lord a New Song', with divisi trebles, baritone solo, brass, and a marvelous five-or-so page fugue on 'alleluya', which is almost as astounding as the final 'Amen' of Handel's 'Messiah".

These services were always inspiring, but I don't miss having to get up for them.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen