Handel's "Messiah" and a mega church
  • How do I keep getting into these situations? (Because I can't say no.) Okay, a colleague recently wrote me to ask if I would be interested in writing a "creative narration that includes the context and history" of the piece, along with others he has planned for the program. He recently dropped out of his conducting studies and took a position at a local mega church and soon after "joined" them.

My husband and I are both performing this concert, if only to support our friend's efforts. He is a lovely person, but I worry he's a little clueless sometimes. I hadn't thought much about how such a concert would be received at a church that is used to hearing Jesus Culture, Hillsong, and the rest of it, on a non stop basis, until my husband mentioned something about it.

Will they like it? I have no idea. What do I write for them, in a way that "reaches" their sensibilities?

Our friend ended his letter with "I thought I would ask someone scholarly and knowledgable about music history before I went writing the narration on my own." Well, I am flattered and glad to see my newly received degree is getting put to use...Help. Me.
  • Liam
    "narration"? During the work? Or a pre-concert talk?
  • Apparently in between each selection.
  • Liam
    Try to convince him that a foundational principal of good performance is that it's MUCH better to show rather than to tell and that a short introduction before the concert (or at most before each Part - though to do that between II and III would suck the energy out of the room - maybe you can demostrate what you mean precisely by simulating that...)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Reval
    If the performance is in the mega-church, could you project the commentary on screens before each movement / part?
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Reval, yes it is and that's a good idea. I'll see what he thinks of it.

I agree that talking too much drains the momentum from the performance. And you know, I don't know why but this sort of narration is commonplace around here. All of the major ensembles I perform with do it, yet when I go to see the Cleveland Orchestra or Pittsburgh Symphony, they don't. They just hand you a program that's a few inches thick, printed on glossy, expensive paper. Ugh.

@Liam: We are not performing "Messiah" in its entirety, so that throws another layer of difficulty into this. I'll have a better idea of what to do when he finalizes his program.
  • canadashcanadash
    If the performance is in the mega-church, could you project the commentary on screens before each movement / part?

Or perhaps an image/stain glass window?
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • ghmus7
    I would start with the scripture for each number and then comment on it as it relates to the Incarnation.
  • @ghmus7: thanks, and thanks to all,
    I'm getting some better ideas.

I just don't want to go over their heads or get too...uh, deeply theological? with them. Or maybe they would like that...no, probably not. Again, very helpful suggestions so far, thanks again!
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Since Google is our friend, there's really no need to go reinventing the wheel, though what I would expect at a mega church is more along the lines of a costume pageant (check out the piano playing 2'+ into this midi-church production!). I myself rather enjoy the Viennese Regietheater approach here.