Gloria for Sprinkling Rite?
  • I've been informed by my pastor that we will use the following format for the Baptism of the Lord this weekend:
    Entrance Hymn (2 Verses) - Process to font in back
    Prayer over water
    Gloria+sprinkling+procession to altar (all in one)
    Opening prayer
    This is so mixed up, I'm having trouble sorting it out. I do know the Gloria should not be used for the sprinkling rite or the entrance procession. Is there any precedent for this (i.e., where did this mix-up come from)? What are the best documents specifically forbidding this? Is it worth fighting, or should I just place it in my overflowing file of "Liturgical abuses I will accept to keep my family fed"? I have refused on grounds of conscience to play at another parish when the Gloria was tampered with (the priest had the great idea of singing a verse of "Angels we have heard on high" instead of the Gloria for the entire Christmas season), but I was single then. I know this will be an issue for the entire Easter season as well. By the way, "large and important" music programs do this to the Gloria, including the Liturgical Choir (not the Folk Choir) at Notre Dame. Thanks for your input.
  • As deplorable as it seems, it's not an infrequent practice. Unless somebody can point to unambiguous recent legislation, you'll probably have to go with it. It's what happens when a traditional part of the Mass, such as the "sprinkling rite", becomes an infrequent and gratuitous liturgical element.
  • dvalerio
    After the sprinkling rite and when the chant is over, the priest, at his chair, standing turned to the people, should say, with his hands together, the prayer «Deus omnípotens, nos a peccátis puríficet, et per huius Eucharístiæ celebratiónem dignos nos reddat, qui mensæ regni sui partícipes efficiámur. R. Amen.»

Only after this Amen should the «Gloria in excelsis» begin. This is what says the Missale Romanum, 2002, appendix II, rubrics 5 and 6.
  • Sing to the Lord (2007) says:

150. The Gloria may not be moved to a different part of the Mass than the one assigned by the Roman Missal. It may not, for example, be used in place of the Entrance chant or song, or during the sprinkling with blessed water.
  • incantuincantu
    Let the pastor know that you'll be singing the offertory chant (with verses from the Offertoriale Triplex) during the homily. They should both be about ten minutes, so it will save even more time.
  • Wonderful, incantu!
  • That's hilarious!
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks, Professor Ford!
  • Paul Ford and others are, of course, correct in their contention that the rubrics of the Roman Missal do not permit what this priest proposes to do. Furthermore, the Gloria does not seem an appropriate accompaniment to the sprinkling. Nevertheless, I believe I understand the concerns that underlie his proposal to carry out this experiment.

Sacrosanctum Concilium decreed that "elements that had been added to the liturgy with the passage of time to little advantage" were to be eliminated. In the actual reform of the Ordo Missae, they were often not eliminated by replaced by novelties--to even greater disadvantage. The length of the "initial rites" in the 1969 Ordo Missae is disproportionate to their importance. Bugnini and the consilium are not to blame. Paul VI is. He insisted that several elements be included. The public confession is clearly an innovation, traceable only--as far as I know--only to the Lutheran Reformation. Cranmer borrowed it from Lutheran sources. The "Rite of Sprinkling," offered as an alternative to the "penitential act" is even longer.

Until after Vatican II the rite of sprinkling formed no part of the Mass. I can be traced to the ninth century, from which evidence shows that the celebrant stood at the door of the church and sprinkled the faithful one by one as they entered. In the late medieval rites the blessing and sprinkling of water followed Terce. At its conclusion the ministers went to the sacristy to vest for Mass. Even in the post-Tridentine period it remained a separate office. Unfortunately, it was attached to the beginning of the Mass, so that it appeared to be part of the Mass, and when it was included, the introit ceased to function as a processional chant.

Even so, the post-Tridentine form of the sprinkling rite was shorter than the one provided in the current Missal. The water was blessed privately, beforehand. The public rite included only the antiphon that accompanied the sprinkling, a few versicles, and a concluding collect.

In 1960 H.A. Reinhold, in "Bringing the Mass to the People," proposed that the sprinkling be incorporated into the entrance procession. He proposed specifically that the procession, heading toward the altar, should stop at the baptistry and that from there the celebrant should sprinkle the people. He recommended that the introit should accompany the procession from start to finish, and that the sprinkling should be performed as a mere ceremony rather than as a rite. His proposal was, in my view and in the view of many liturgists, much better than the scheme eventually adopted.

In 1982, when I visited the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Denver, "Asperges me" was sung as the entrance song. The celebrant sprinkled the congregation on his way to the altar, and the Kyrie followed immediately. What was done was not "legal," but I thought it was better than the prescribed form.

In my (Episcopal) parish the font is located near the entrance to the chancel. The ministers enter from the north transept. On Sundays the celebrant stops at the font, takes the vat, and sprinkles the congregation before going to the altar. Meanwhile the introit is sung.

I recognize the dangers inherent in a "flexible" attitude toward rubrics and prescribed forms. It can give rise to highly objectionable practices. On the other hand, I know that all the historic rites of Christendom evolved in a milieu where controls were not nearly so tight as they are in the Roman Catholic Church today.

The pope has expressed the hope that the "Extraordinary form" of the Roman rite and the "Ordinary form" would influence each other to advantage; but at the same time he forbids mingling of the forms--even to the point of not allowing the modern propers to be used with the pre-Conciliar ordinary. Perhaps he assumes that the rules restricting "cross-fertilization" will be lifted in the future.
  • Hmmm....If even Sing to the Lord uses the language "may not", it seems like this is a pretty important issue. Can we get any more unambiguous than this document, taken together with the Missale Romanum? If there is absolutely no official precedent or support for this liturgical mish-mash, I may make a fuss about it.
    Bruce Ford - Thanks for your analysis - it helps me see where this idea may have come from, besides simple liturgical utilitarianism. I do not object so much to the processing in during sprinkling, or to using verses of the opening hymn for the sprinkling. The big problem is doing all of this during the Gloria, which is liturgically very strange (and expressly forbidden). What I am used to doing is processing in as usual, then blessing the water at the altar and sprinkling to a separate chant, followed by the Gloria. Does anyone else have a different way of doing this that works well (something I could propose to save time while still being faithful to the rubrics)?