How Cold Are You?
  • CharlesW
    Here in balmy East Tennessee, we are at 18 degrees. This after being 76 degrees on Christmas Day. Weather videos on TV look rather severe in places. What's going on in your place?
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Goodness, I guess I'm glad I can sleep in, then, because it's 34 right now in my part of East Tennessee. But yes, my husband definitely wore shorts on Christmas - that was pretty crazy. Supposedly we should be getting snow next week.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I don't know the thermometer reading, but I saw a dog frozen to a fire hydrant the other day, if that helps.
  • It is raining a blessed rain here --- and according to reports, the snow pack is at 100% of normal in some elevations 5000 ft above here.

• In Houston it has been 80 one day and 45 the next for the past three weeks. Air-conditioner one day and heat the next. Right now it's an icy drizzle. Tomorrow??? Snow is something I dream of. My friends in other parts of the country send me pictures of it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I just walked (half ran) to breakfast through a freezing cold 54 degree morning breeze here in Scottsdale.
  • Kathy
    Drought? What drought? Flooding throughout San Diego.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Several years ago I was reading an article about a young piano virtuoso who was from Siberia. He said 'sometimes it gets really hot in Siberia - sometimes even up to 40'. Oh, that we could have some such hotness it Houston.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • eft94530eft94530
    As I read the Discussion Title I thought ...
    Cold enough to be willing to return to the polar bears a few ice floes
    that i briefly coveted during the summer.
    Because of the rain clouds my heat free apartment hovers at 53.8 F.
  • Not too bad here in Indiana. We just got our actual winter weather. It was in the 50s the week of Christmas, which is unseasonably warm. Right now it is 39 or so, and that's the high for today. Low last night was in the teens. This should be early December weather, complete with snow, which I hear we're getting soon.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    40C = 104F
    Thanked by 2PaxMelodious CCooze
  • It was 3 degrees F here in SW Ontario two nights ago and 17 this morning. Currently 30, apparently.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • francis
    well, in wyoming we hit -30 a few weeks ago, so... it's a different world here.
  • MBWMBW
    Here in the SF bay area some kind of mysterious stuff is falling out of the sky!

I'll try to explain this weird phenomenon. If you go outside, it is really, really cold (about +55F) and after you walk around a while, it is just like you took a nice shower with all your clothes on - except that it is really, really cold.

It is far out, mysterious, and really, really cold!
  • Kathy
    I know, right?
  • 5C, windy and raining. Finally getting cold, but pray for the poor people here and uk who have been hit by exceptional flooding.
  • CharlesW
    I am praying for many people in many places. I saw videos of the flooding and tornado damage in several areas. It was then that I made the connection that these are not just damaged houses, but people's homes that have been destroyed.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • SalieriSalieri
    Current temp. here (MA) is ~ 266.5 .
  • (That's degrees Kelvin, I presume?)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    After warming up to snow a bit, we are headed downward in temperatures. It is anticipated that, by kickoff time (non) across the river (and state line) in Minneapolis for the Vikings-Seahawks football game, the temperature will be -2F = -18.889C = 254.261K ... likely making it one of the 10 coldest playoff football games in history.

Right now, though, at 10:33am, it's snowing, and the thermometer stands at a balmy 33F = 0.556C = 273.706K

• CharlesW
    It is supposed to start snowing Sunday afternoon and drop to 18 degrees that night. No one is sure how much we will get. On days like that, it feels good to be retired from teaching and just look out the window at it. It looks good if you don't have to drive in it.

This global warming is going to freeze us all.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "This global warming is going to freeze us all."

No, it's not, although it might seem this way. This winter is well on its way to being one of the mildest/warmest on record. The problem is that we are seeing average temperatures rise, accompanied by much wider temperature swings that fool one when it gets cold.
  • CharlesW
    I agree we are in one of the warming periods that come and go over long stretches of time. That is probably preferable to living in another Little Ice Age, since I am no fan of cold weather. The politics of warming and climate change do get a bit ridiculous. The temperatures go up, they go down, and sometimes they hover. Nothing new.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Reval
    I'm sure we know who to thank / rage at:
    El Nino himself.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • Is El nino a name for the pope? I know he is into climate change and all.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW eft94530 MBW
  • kevinfkevinf
    A picture of El Nino so that you might recognize him.
    459 x 459 - 30K
  • CharlesW
    After being outside to clean my car yesterday, things have really changed from Saturday's high fifties temperature. I stepped outside at around 5:00 a.m. this morning to check the weather. It was 49 degrees and the air was still. When I went outside again at 7:00 a.m. to go to my first mass, there were 30 mph wind gusts and the temperature had dropped a good 15 degrees. It is now 32 degrees with 13 mph wind heading toward 18 degrees tonight. What a crazy winter!
  • CCoozeCCooze
    There were some teeny tiny snow flurries in Chattanooga this morning when I left to teach my CCD class. My kids were really excited, even though it was clear that it wouldn't be staying. It's definitely getting much colder in Tennessee. That's kind of the norm around here, though. It's always odd when it manages to snow on or around Christmas.
  • 22 degrees with 14 wind chill, will be near zero in the morning!
  • CharlesW
    CCooze, I am 112 miles north of you in Knoxville.
  • CharlesW
    22 degrees with 14 wind chill, will be near zero in the morning!

Yikes!
  • Eat your hearts out!
    Here in Houston it's 10 degrees and we had two feet of snow earlier this evening,
    with another foot or so predicted for tomorrow.
    Ah! Wunderbar!
    [Purple???]
  • As a Buffalo (N.Y.) native I can say convincingly that we aren't having real winter here, just the California kind.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Update: At the start of today's NFL playoff game (Vikings-Seahawks) across the river in Minneapolis, it was -6F with a -25F windchill (to make it the 3rd coldest NFL game ever). Here in Hudson, it was -8F. As I type now, it's -11F, but the worst is over for a few days, I think.
  • BenBen
    We have had a nice temp in the 20s until yesterday morning. Now it's hovering around 0. -5 at the moment on the west side of Madison, WI.
  • Wind chill was -2 this morning, 17 currently and getting slightly warmer. Big lake effect snow possibly on the way!!!
  • CharlesW
    Minus 2 and minus 5? I surely hope we don't have those. As we say in the south, that's as cold as a Lutheran sermon. LOL.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    -12F here this morning, topped out at +6F this afternoon; of course, the wind chill makes it seem even colder. Another couple of days more of this, although not quite as cold, then by Thursday the predicted high temperature will climb almost up to the melting/freezing point of Bromine.
  • Mark K
    similar here to CHGiffen. I'm in prairie Canada. currently minus 25C.
    Tonight: Low minus 30 C. Wind chill minus 39 C

been pretty nice winter though thanks to El Nino - we have not had too much of this so far
  • CharlesW
    High of 31 today dropping to 11 degrees tonight. With any winds, the chill factor will be lower. Of course, I have to get out at the crack of dawn tomorrow and drive to the Toyota dealer to have the widely reported exploding and shrapnel producing air bag replaced. Danged global warming! LOL.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Liam
    Boston. Seasonably cold. Today is, on average, the coldest day of the year here. Had our first plowable snow of the season overnight. We only had our first killing freeze (<23F/-5C*) of the winter 2 weeks ago....<br />
    * Light freeze: freezing; Moderate freeze: 27-28F (a surprising number of half-hardy things can manage OK at this temperature, which is also the temp where rhodos and azaleas shrink their leaves)
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Definitely below freezing in Chattanooga.
    My husband's Matrix needs the same replacement, Charles.
  • My toyota too. Think its a conspiracy against musicians?
    It has finally got cold here. It was nearly freezing the other night, and even a bit of snow in places. Though mostly rain.
  • Currently 9 with -4 wind chill, wind chill advisory in effect. I drove home from Pittsburgh last night in horrible weather, had to stop off the turnpike in Cranberry because I ran out of washer fluid, was a tense few moments. The air is so dry I can't breathe, simmering some water on the stove now and it's slowly helping. My baroque fiddle does not appreciate these conditions...
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • CharlesW
    I just heard the weather forecast. One to three inches of snow Wednesday, rain then snow Friday with snow of undetermined accumulation Saturday.

Bonniebede, it sounds like a conspiracy to me. LOL.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    -15F this morning to a high of +1F late this afternoon. Now it's -1 and supposed to be about -12 by morning, warming up to +11 tomorrow, then highs in the +20s for a few days.
  • OraLabora
    -17C (1.4F) today in my part of Canada (southern Quebec). Blizzard too, high winds. Drive belt came off the snowblower of my tractor, and shredded itself, when blowing out the driveway. Lots of neo-Gregorian melodies came out of that (we Francophones use sacred objects of the altar and other sacred words as our curses).

On Christmas Eve it was +18C here though I wasn't here to enjoy it, we spent it in Vancouver in +4C and rain.
  • 50s and wet. Proof that God's grace is available to anyone for the taking: we change the definition of marriage, we provide billions of dollars to study dead-end medicine performed on aborted children, and still God sends us rain.
    Thanked by 2bonniebede eft94530
  • CharlesW
    Today, God sent us snow and will be sending more snow and sleet tonight. It will all melt tomorrow, but more snow is coming on Saturday. I need nothing and am going nowhere today. I will call the choir members later and cancel tonight's rehearsal.

Snow day! Woo-Hoo!!!