Question about Patronal Feast of St. John the Evangelist
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    St. John the Evangelist is the patron saint of our cemetery chapel in the Diocese of Brooklyn where we have a Sunday EF Latin Mass, and it has occurred to us (belatedly!) that tomorrow is his feast day. Do we observe his Feast or the Sunday within the Octave of the Nativity? Any help on this question would be greatly appreciated so we can discuss this with the priest who is our celebrant tomorrow.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Just received an authoritative answer so this has been resolved.
  • tomjaw
    We will be celebrating St. John, but we are using the older Calendar.

I am a long way from my library, but a scan of the 1962 Missale Romanum gives the Sunday within the Octave of the Nativity as II Class. According to the 1962 Rubrics guide "feast of the Titular, if they are consecrated or at least solemnly blessed (I Class)"

So if the chapel is solemnly blessed it will be the Feast of St. John.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so much for this! The Art Deco altar mural in our chapel is a young St. John and is quite unusual, I think.

• tomjaw
    We have a couple of Hymns we sing in honour of St. John, Here is one of them, a translation can be found in the 'Liturgical Year, Gueranger' Vol. 2. pg. 265

www.societyofstbede.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/amorechristi.pdf
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Get a few bottles of wine blessed, please!

Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CharlesW
    That is a nice chapel!
  • Just received an authoritative answer so this has been resolved.

Which was? I read my Ordo as saying it's the patron, but I'm not authoritative.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, it is the patronal feast. Thanks for the reminder about the blessing of wine!

Our chapel was built in the early 50's and has many amazing details and won an architecture award. More info here. At one point there was talk of replacing it with a mausoleum, but there was an intervention by the architect's family, if I'm not mistaken. It is a historical landmark since many notorious Mafia bosses were buried from the chapel since they could not be buried from their own parish churches.