Peculiar triangular noteheads
  • EMH
    Can anyone tell me what the triangular noteheads mean? This is a solemn tone "Alma Redemptoris Mater" and these are the only two in the piece. I don't know the exact origin of this particular setting, but I was told it came from France.

Thanks and merry Christmas.
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
  • Curious indeed. And there is also a square note followed by a small round one. This must be some sort of rhythmic notation.
  • doneill
    Quilisma?
    Thanked by 1EMH
  • EMH
    MJO, The rectangular notes are always the second of two tied notes, I've noticed. I'm pretty sure the little note is the equivalent liquescent neume.

doneill, I guess it could be. Actually I think you're right. I've never seen it written like this before.
  • You are probably right about the liquescence.
    My first thought was that this looked suspiciously like a deformed cephalicus.
    What is the date of this odd example?
    Thanked by 1EMH
  • Kathy
    Maybe it's a notation for repercussion?
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I've posted this to another music forum I belong to
    Thanked by 1EMH
  • Carl DCarl D
    It's where you fire the bazooka.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    After comparing to square notation of the Solemn Tone, I'm pretty sure the triangle noteheads are equivalent to quilismas (probably not available in the software used to engrave the music). I also suspect that the small round note at the end of the first line is a liquescent. I wish I had more to go on, however.
    Thanked by 1EMH
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Aha! Found it! At CantoAmbrosiano.Altervista.org

Thanked by 1EMH
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanked by 1EMH
  • EMH
    MJO, I'm afriad I don't know the date. It was sent to a friend of a friend as an email attachment (supposedly from a monastery in France), and a printed copy found its way to me.

CHGiffen, here's a scan. I have the other Marian antiphons, too, some with the strange triangles.

Thanks for the comments.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe it's a matter of tuning; @mrcopper might be interested.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • a_f_hawkins
    I notice in the Canto Ambrosiano copy, a question mark before the notes for nu in genuisti, is this a recognized symbol for "oops this should be a tone above but I didn't leave enough space in the typesetting"? It is a tone higher (the only high E in the tune) in the EMH copy. I can't play the recording to check what they think, possibly because for copyright and DRM purposes my computer thinks its in the UK.
  • tomjaw
    a f hawkins

This chant appears to be from the Canto Ambrosiano website, It is common on that site for such figures to appear. I think it is their way of saying that manuscripts differ over those neumes.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen a_f_hawkins
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In the recording, the (question marked) podatus on the syllable "-nu" in genuisti is sung on fa-sol (rather than the question marked mi-fa), in accord with the scan provided by EMH. FWIW, I think that is the "correct" interpretation.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • tomjaw
    While the Solemn tone of this Marian Anthem should be well known... there are a number of differences between different usages, I have just taken the 'nu' as an example

Here is the Monastic Tone, from the Antiphonale Monasticum pg. 173,

Here is the Ambrosian tone, from the Liber Vesperalis Ambrosiano pg. 807,

Here is the Roman from the L.U. pg. 273,

N.B. For further comparisons the A.M. is available from CC Watershed, The L.V.A. can be found using google, and the L.U. is one of the books available from the CMAA.
    361 x 118 - 16K
    378 x 114 - 17K
    189 x 99 - 9K
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen