Lessons From the Torah
  • dad29
    This is a very interesting discussion of Joseph and Pharaoh. The part I found intriguing was this:

...the [Pharao's] advisors proposed a test: “If so, he should know seventy languages” -- facility with languages being one of the marks of nobility (cf. Maharsha ad loc.). Yoséf received Divine aid through the agency of the angel Gavriel, and was indeed able to match Pharaoh, language for language.

...At this point, Yoséf gave Pharaoh a taste of his own medicine, addressing him in the holy Hebrew language, which is not one of the seventy root languages of the nations, and which Pharaoh did not understand. Fascinated to discover the existence of a language with which he was not conversant, Pharaoh ordered Yoséf to teach it to him. Yoséf tried, but Pharaoh proved unable to learn Hebrew...

...In my humble opinion, the explanation of Pharaoh’s frustrations lies not in the intricate complexities of Hebrew grammar, but rather in the supernal spiritual light which suffuses every letter of the holy language. Names and words in the holy language are directly linked to spiritual realities in ways inconceivable with other tongues. ...

There's more!!

...The Egyptian culture was the most hedonistic and depraved of the ancient world. Already when Avraham first encountered them, he had to fear that they would be motivated by Sara’s beauty to kill him in order to possess her (Genesis XII,12), and he forced the Pharaoh of his day to recognize the depravity and spiritual ugliness of his vulture. When Pharaoh suffered “afflictions,” and came to realize that the source of his trouble was his consorting with Sara, he told Avraham brusquely: “And now, here is your wife, take [her] and go!” (ibid., 19). Rashi tells us that this was because he understood the nature of his own people, “for the Egyptians were awash in lust,” and cites the verdict of the Prophet Ezekiel, vë-zirmath susim zirmatham (Ezekiel XXIII,20), i.e. they had all the self-restraint of horses in a barnyard...

For your contemplation.

See: https://pjmedia.com/faith/2015/12/11/this-weeks-torah-portion-joseph-interprets-the-pharaohs-dreams-part-10