Hope this isn't a trend (Disturbance at Masses in NV)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    http://www.ktnv.com/news/protesters-disturb-mass-at-catholic-churches-across-valley

In Las Vegas, Catholic church-goers are being bullied and intimidated by Muslims-turned-Christians who are interrupting Masses and threatening Catholics to stop worshiping idols, or else, and publishing videos of their protests on YouTube. Makes me wonder if I should start packing something in my music bag besides my music books. It's just too much to contemplate.
  • CharlesW
    That thought has crossed my mind, as well. I am not a gun nut, but it would be a good thing to have something to fight back with if attacked.
  • I keep my rosary with me at all times.
  • CharlesW
    I keep my rosary with me at all times.

If you could get it around an attacker's neck and strangle him, that might work. If it is one of those made in China rosaries, it will likely break.
    Thanked by 2ZacPB189 Gavin
  • The most disturbing aspect of the situation, actually, is that these men were not charged with any crime, when it is very clear that more than one crime was committed.
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • kenstb
    This seems like a situation that the local police departments should be on top of.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, one would certainly hope. I never usually think about self-defense options, either, but the sight of people passively receiving this degree of abuse makes me hope and pray I would have the courage and wherewithal to resist if I were ever in the same situation. I'm not advocating a Wild West mindset, but I have a "thing" about bullies and intimidation. I'm not the passive spectator type, I guess. Too much Scots-Irish in the genes.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Some comforting words from this Sunday's Communio:

Dicite Pusillanimes: Confortamini, et nolite timere:
    Ecce Deus noster veniet, et salvabit nos.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Now , what was it Jesus said about turning the other cheek?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Jesus also said: Let him sell his coat, and buy a sword.
    Thanked by 1Blaise
  • CharlesW
    Jesus would turn the other cheek to an attacker. I would hurt them. Big difference between us.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Turning the other cheek means ... standing your ground, not running.
  • francis
    If you put a Liber under your shirt, it might stop a bullet. Otherwise, get to confession. Make sure you are ready to die for the faith if that what is in your future.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl rschi123
  • Jani
    Julie, my friend, don't worry! What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. ;-D
    Thanked by 2JulieColl Spriggo
  • francis
    Julie, my friend, don't worry! What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. ;-D

What happens in Vegas will be sure to be proclaimed from the roof tops. Be sure you avoid the near occasion of LV.
  • Blaise
    May I remind everyone who is wondering "what Jesus would do" that driving out the money changers, if you will, with a whip is also in the realm of possibilities. Now, that might not pass the legal authorities today, but I mention that to say that Jesus was no pans....who merely called on people to "turn the other cheek"....and do no more than that (I think that phrase is grotesquely abused). He called on people to repentance. And I don't care if I sound judgmental, but the people who are responsible for interrupting Christ's Holy, Catholic & Apostolic Church should do precisely that if they hope to behold the King at the Last as their Savior...and not as their Judge.

(I am sorry this sounds harsh, but for too long we Catholics have endured anti-Catholic attacks. Our popes have apologized for the sins of its members....but nothing has been forthcoming from the other side, such as Protestants and the like. All the while our own theologians, and nay, even our own priests have cheapened our theology to say that Catholicism is nothing more than one option among many. Enough is enough. My opinion is that from henceforth that ecumenical dialogue with non-apostolic churches and communities should be suspended until apologies are made for these things, past Protestant persecutions of Catholics, and the above disturbances.)
  • CharlesW
    (I am sorry this sounds harsh, but for too long we Catholics have endured anti-Catholic attacks. Our popes have apologized for the sins of its members....but nothing has been forthcoming from the other side, such as Protestants and the like. All the while our own theologians, and nay, even our own priests have cheapened our theology to say that Catholicism is nothing more than one option among many. Enough is enough. My opinion is that from henceforth that ecumenical dialogue with non-apostolic churches and communities should be suspended until apologies are made for these things, past Protestant persecutions of Catholics, and the above disturbances.)

THIS!
  • Some days, I think it would just be better if we took the same line Archbishop Hughes took with the "Know-Nothing" mayor of New York in 1844.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Liam
    Because we're in the same situation as Catholics were in Manhattan in 1844....
  • Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Archbishop Hughes took with the "Know-Nothing" mayor of New York in 1844.
    threatening to turn New York into another Moscow. That suggests a rather sinister re-reading of the "No Jesus, No peace" bumper sticker.
  • Just to be clear- I wouldn't actually advocate this. I would like it if our bishops had more backbone.
  • Liam
    Backbone is very different from melodrama (which is something that is not drama, nor tragedy nor comedy. It's a bourgeois affliction.(
  • We were burgled during a choir rehearsal about a month ago. The building was full of people and yet someone was able to sneak by and steal money out of purses, which the director and myself usually left in the same place. Last week money was taken from the coffee jar, and this morning two of the gold plated offering plates are missing (rather interesting situation ensued when the ushers approached the pastor who shrugged and said "I would give you plates but I don't have any"). We keep the doors locked now during rehearsals, and with the current climate I've considered "packing" something extra myself. What a sad state of the world that we are afraid to be alone even in our own church.
  • G
    No K of C in Vegas? Don't they have swords?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 2JulieColl moderntrad