Antiphon “Tribus miráculis” (esp. re OCO 2015)
  • Hi all,

The Antiphonale Romanum II has a variant of “Tribus miráculis” that lacks the words “in Jordane”. Solesmes said (via email) that this is not a mistake; it corresponds to the oldest manuscripts.

For anyone out there with an OCO 2015, does it indicate AM 296 as the source for this chant? That’s what OCO 1983 has, and the AM does have “in Jordane”, but … just wondering!

The “Liturgia horarum” does have “in Jordane”, by the way … so now I’m unsure what the rite’s authoritative text is supposed to be!
  • joerg
    No, it gives the full text (without "in Iordane") and as references CAO 5184 and AR II 105.
  • So, it begs the question: what is the official text of the rite?

Are all of the polyphonic “Tribus” settings that have “in Jordane” now (technically) unfit for the Office by virtue of this apparent change?

I suppose that, canonically, either text is now considered appropriate?
  • I should think all existing settings are well enshrined in customary usage. It's not like "in Jordane" is inaccurate. Now, if they had replaced it with, say, Mississippi...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ... or the Hudson river.
  • mahrt
    I would suggest that this is an example of antiquarianism; the more recent version with "in Jordane" is a little more explicit and calls up a more vivid image of the historical event. To reduce it to the earlier version is not an improvement.
  • @mahrt I fully agree.