Extending the Introit at EM High Mass
  • Is it permissible to extend the Introit by either adding Psalm verses or by chanting the Antiphon between the Psalm and Doxology? My choice for Christmas Midnight Mass would be the latter. Thanks.
  • Absolutely. From the 1961 edition of the Liber:
    If the priest and ministers have some way to go in the church before reaching the altar, there is no reason why several Verses of the Introit Psalm should not be sung after the Antiphon and Verse. In that case the Antiphon may be repeated after every Verse or two Verses. When the priest reaches the altar, the Psalm is if necessary interrupted at the end of a Verse, Gloria Patri is sung, and finally the Antiphon.
  • For the EF, you should use one of the older approved psalters - Old Roman, Vulgate (Gallican), or Pius XII, not the New Vulgate used in some publications intended for the novus ordo.
  • BenBen
    Yes, that is allowed. I often do it when singing for ferial Masses. Begin the introit as the procession begins, then put in an extra repetition of the antiphon with the extra procession time.
  • Thank you, all. I have already added verses to the Communion Antiphon. I'll check the above Latin translations to make sure I got it right.
  • MatthewRoth
    Use the Gallican Psalter. The Pius XII version wasn't for singing, and it ought to be relegated to the rubbish. (I think that's where the verses come from; I know the Vetus Latina is the source of the antiphons, but I am not sure about the verses...)
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    We always use the Psalmorum linked above for the Psalm verses, they are very handy for the Introit Salve Sancte Parens and Terribilis that are far too short.
    N.B. we sing at the E.F.