Non-Liturgical Latin Hymns and Motets
  • For the traditional Latin Mass, the law of the Church permits the singing of motets after the proper offertory, after the Elevation, and during Communion. The music of these motets must be suitable for divine worship, and their text must be in Latin and "approved by the Church" (Motu proprio of St. Pius X). Some interpret this to mean that the words of a supplementary motet at Mass must actually be taken from the liturgy, i.e. an antiphon, responsory, sequence, hymn, psalm, or canticle. Whether it is a matter of what is expressly permitted by ecclesiastical legislation or what is tolerated by local (or perhaps universal?) custom, some non-liturgical Latin hymns are in general usage even during Solemn Mass, e.g. Adeste fideles, Adoro te devote, O filii et filiae, O esca viatorum, O Sanctissima, Regina caeli jubila, and Veni, veni, Emmanuel. Some of these can be found in the supplement of the Liber usualis. Interestingly, these compositions are indexed in that book not as "hymns," but rather as "chants for Benedictions" in the English editions or "varia" in the Latin.

I doubt even the most rigorously rule-obsessed traditionalist would bat an eyelid at hearing one of the above-mentioned hymns during the offertory or Communion of a High Mass, but what are the criteria for the inclusion of such devotional Latin hymns within the liturgy? Does publication in a hymnal or prayerbook with an imprimatur constitute "words approved by the Church"? What about inclusion in the Benediction section of the Liber? Bear in mind that in the old rite, all the music at Benediction is considered non-liturgical except for the "Tantum ergo" and the "Panem de caelo" versicle and response. Has "Personent hodie" from the Lutheran Piae cantiones appeared in an officially approved collection? May one sing a motet with words from a Latin version of the psalter not used in Catholic liturgy, such as Purcell's "Jehova, quam multi sunt hostes mei"? Has anyone dared to do one of these hymns during High Mass? What about Whitacre's "Lux aurumque"? My hunch is that these last several examples should be avoided during the liturgy on account of their non-Catholic provenance, but it's difficult to articulate exactly what makes a non-liturgical Latin hymn acceptable, apart from its Catholic origin. Is this solely a matter of custom, or does inclusion in a publication with an imprimatur indicate official approval for use during liturgical services? Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of such Latin hymns and chants?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Lux Arumque" is a Latin translation of an English poem "Light and Gold" by Edward Esch (born 1970), and is decidedly non-liturgical in flavor, despite its immense popularity in Eric Whitacre's setting, especially in the "Virtual Choir" performance assembled by Whitacre in 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7o7BrlbaDs
  • Light,
    warm and heavy
    as pure gold,
    and the angels sing softly
    to the newborn babe.
    I don't know whether Esch is Catholic, but what is it that makes the former text unsuitable for liturgical use while admitting, for example, the following?
    Pro nobis egenum et fœno cubantem,
    Piis foveamus amplexibus.
    Sic nos amantem quis non redamaret?
    I guess what I'm getting at is that this must be a matter of custom rather than law, unless an imprimatur is all that's needed for a Latin text to be considered approved for singing during the liturgy.
  • chonakchonak
    There's a judgment call involved, not really a matter of something being approved or not.

The text of Lux aurumque could be considered as a devotional text (since it's not drawn from the liturgy).

Even the English text is a bit odd: reading it with an exact sense of grammar, it seems to say:
    Light
    (warm and heavy as pure gold)
    and the angels
    sing softly
    to the newborn babe.

Light and the angels sing softly to the newborn babe.

OK, it's poetry. That's fine. After all, I've heard "Light sings all over the world" -- oh, sorry, that was the 5th Dimension. And this weekend in a concert, I'm singing a poem by Wendell Berry in which "I heard the light singing as it went among the grass blades and the leaves....", in a 2015 setting by Timothy Takach. Oops: digression. Anyway.

The Latin text loses this unusual metaphor, since Latin allows us to assume esse where it's helpful, and the meaning becomes:

The light is warm and heavy as pure gold,
    and the angels sing softly to the newborn babe.

but then consider how it is treated in the setting:

Lux, lux, lux, lux,
    Calida, calida gravisque gravisque gravisque
    pura pura velut velut aurum aurum,
    Et canunt, et canunt, et canunt, et canunt angeli
    Canunt, canunt, canunt molliter
    modo natum, natum,
    modo natum.

The text is broken up, word by word, massaged, repeated, and treated as material for producing the musical effects Whitacre wanted to develop.

The decision to have the text translated to Latin was made from that point of view, since Latin's vowels lend themselves to the sonorities Whitacre had in mind. In the process, the meaning of the text becomes completely secondary, if it's not forgotten altogether. Is this perhaps the sort of thing the Council of Trent was concerned about when it wrote about music: polyphonic works were allowed as long as the text wasn't unduly obscured?

I wouldn't say that this work is forbidden; but as CHGiffen put it, the flavor is non-liturgical.

[Now that I've said this, someone will probably cite a great classic that treats the text the same way!]

For that matter, I've never actually heard that other quotation (the N-th verse of Adeste fideles) sung either.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Maybe the "approved text" restriction is superseded by De musica sacra et sacra liturgia (Pius XII, 1958):
    Any Latin song may be used after the Offertory antiphon provided it is suited to the spirit of this part of the Mass.
    Actually, a Latin text "suited to the spirit" of the offertory might be more restrictive than a motet based on any liturgical text. Should a Eucharistic or Marian text be considered appropriate, or would something with a penitential text, or in honor of the Incarnation, or addressed to the Holy Ghost be better suited to the spirit of the traditional offertory rite?

The quoted lyrics from "Adeste fideles" are the fourth and final stanza in the Liber. The usual English version has, for the last line, "Who would not love Thee, loving us so dearly?" It's a nice devotional sentiment, to be sure, but is suited to the spirit of the liturgy?
    Music in liturgical functions is an integrant and not a purely ornamental part thereof, whereas in extra-liturgical functions it is altogether secondary and accidental, never exacted by the ceremony, and its main purpose is to entertain the faithful devoutly in Church or to furnish them a pleasing spiritual relaxation after the prolonged tension of a sermon, or whatever prayers they have been reciting together. Hence the style of extra-liturgical music is susceptible of greater freedom, though within such limits as are demanded by respect for God's house, and the holiness of the prayer it accompanies. ("Liturgical Chant," Catholic Encyclopedia)
  • tomjaw
    We usually sing Office Hymns, relating to the Season, the Feast day, or the Saint commemorated on that day. We use office hymns from a variety of books, Ambrosian, Dominican, Monastic, Older Hymns found on CANTUS, or in the Analecta Hymnica.

I see no reason why the Chants for Benediction found in the Liber / Cantus Selecti or other book of chants for benediction, cannot be used. Some of them are former Office Hymns and others former Sequences.

Personent Hodie based on the earlier Intonent Hodie (for St. Nicholas) can be found in the Oratorian Hymn book, so I would assume that it has been approved, anyway we have sung this as a motet.

Gaudete... I think is secular and would prefer that it is not used but we will be forced to sing it by our priest who could well be one of those priests that the Pope seems to like complaining about.

Liturgical / Non-Liturgical, is a problem all it tells us is has it been used in the Liturgy. Is Veni, Veni Liturgical? it is a paraphrase... What about Ave Verum?

I think a better rule is Secular words / melodies should not be used, but this rule is far from perfect.

Anyway if you are really worried you could write to your bishop or perhaps the Vatican and ask...
    Thanked by 1madorganist