• Pes
    A thread for Tenebrae.

The ancient services are extraordinary and require two hours of singing psalms, responsories, readings, and the Benedictus. Composers have long tackled setting the psalms, responsories, readings from Jeremiah, and the canticle. (Apparently the readings from Augustine and Paul have not been set.) There is a treasure house of music here.

For those without Latin, there is an English translation of the entire office of Holy Week at googlebooks here (PDF). 977 pages. No music. The translations look good. Perhaps this would be useful for those putting together materials.

Our schola will sing the Tenebrae service for Good Friday. Not sure yet how much polyphony we'll attempt. Maybe three pieces, one during each nocturn. Not sure.
  • This is an Anglican book: be sure to compare diligently with the Latin.
  • Pes
    Thanks for that, Daniel, I will definitely do that.
  • Daniel,

Not to be argumentative, but with the failure of the Church to authorize any english translations to be sung, would not the Anglican book be just as acceptable...I doubt that there would be any heresy there...
  • The Anglican books of this sort use beautifully crafted language and benefit from a deep and lengthy understanding of liturgy in the vernacular. At the same time, there is a very significance difference in ecclesiology and sacramental theology. While these may not be as readily apparent in the Office as in the Mass, the possibility of subtle, yet significant theological divergence exists. As with many Anglican books of this sort, the problem may be in what is omitted as opposed to what is spuriously included.
  • here is one in English
  • Pes
    Interesting. That is an adaptation. Hellriegel also did one (45 min). I'm having to face the issue of what to do with the readings from Augustine. Their rhetoric regarding the Jews is widely understood now to be unacceptable and misleading. Obviously, modern adaptations avoid this.
  • The Canons Regular of Saint John Cantius sell booklets for singing moderate-length versions of Tenebrae for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of Holy Week.