Mass XVII Kyrie
  • MatthewRoth
    I went to Missa Cantata today in the usus antiquior here at Franciscan. The schola sang well as usual. They sang Mass XVII, the Asperges, Credo I, the propers, and, at Communion, Palestrina's "Sicut Cervus."

Out of curiosity: is there any trend with the choice of the Kyrie in those places that sing Mass XVII? My home parish (St. Martin of Tours, Louisville) seems to be the only place that sings Kyrie B. The schola sang form A.

Earlier threads suggest Kyrie XI "Salve" ad. lib., the older form of A, is more common, and I wonder why that is... Most people sing the Kyrie from Mass XI, not the Kyrie X "Orbis Factor" ad lib. that is the older form of that melody.

I realize there is a choice and that there isn't a strict obligation to sing any particular Mass from the Kyriale in whole or part, but the choices people make once they move beyond VIII and XVIII intrigue me.
  • chonakchonak
    We sang XVII B (going by the Liber's listing) today at St. Adelaide, Peabody, MA (director: @Olbash).

• We do XVIIA for Advent and XVIIB for Lent.
  • francis
    we did 17c today
  • chonakchonak
    Better indicate which book you're using. 17C (in the 1974 Graduale) = 17B in the Liber.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Mode VI Kyrie, B or C depending on the book you're using, is very congregational-friendly.
  • Liber Cantualis has the “C” version.
  • I always encountered 17B (as per Liber usualis); the reason might be that it was in one of the four chant ordinaries included in the previous German hymnal (there are a tiny bit more now).
  • francis
    This one:

1150 x 623 - 51K
  • BenBen
    I have always used B, for no particular reason.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I have always used B, for no particular reason. because of reasons.

You're welcome.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • For many years, my scholas always did the mode VI Kyrie posted by Francis for Advent and Lent Sundays. That was the one we had learned first.

More recently, I've introduced the mode I Kyrie for Advent, and retained mode VI for Lent. Reasons being I wanted us to learn something new. And there's a little bit of spare rehearsal time due to the absence of a Gloria.
  • matthewjmatthewj

The Mode VI Kyrie, B or C depending on the book you're using, is very congregational-friendly.

Interestingly here is the Mass where we first introduced the Mode VI Kyrie from Mass XVII. You can hear the ease with which the congregation picks it up.
    https://www.facebook.com/cathedralchoirphoenix/videos/1675187846044774/?permPage=1
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I've only ever sung Version B (from the Liber).
  • BruceL
    C. I think it makes the most sense to the congregation.
  • BruceL
    Interestingly here is the Mass where we first introduced the Mode VI Kyrie from Mass XVII. You can hear the ease with which the congregation picks it up.
    https://www.facebook.com/cathedralchoirphoenix/videos/1675187846044774/?permPage=1

Get outta here with that modernist interpretation! ;)
    Thanked by 1Ben