CMAA Tracts?
  • GavinGavin
    No, we haven't gone baptist, but I'd like to propose a series of specific tracts on sacred music published by the CMAA or a like-minded institution, usable for the purpose of evangelization. The FAQ on Sacred Music is a great resource, to be sure. However, I think it is too general. Let's consider a situation:

Let's say you meet a musician in a Catholic church who does the standard fare, complete with the occasional guitarist. They may be a fine, talented, learned musician (I know many who fit that description) and simply know nothing but the status quo. They may have an interest in chant, but don't know how to get started or even if it may legally be done. I suppose there are many who fit that description. So you hand him the Sacred Music FAQ to help answer his questions (let's assume that you don't have time or a relationship to mentor them). He opens it up and finds out that guitar isn't appropriate for church! (I don't recall the FAQ saying such a thing, but let's assume it does) He's offended, throws it away, and resents anything but his status quo.

Or maybe you have a priest at your parish who is reasonably orthodox, but doesn't chant the liturgy. You'd like to encourage him to chant. So you hand him the Sacred Music FAQ to try to convince him. He reads of how musicians need to be well-paid (and you're a volunteer!) or about the difficulties of the Church's polyphony, and becomes frightened of church music and chanting.

The fact is that improving the liturgy has nothing at all to do with chant, or Latin, or organs, or even all those things put together. The key is that people today see the liturgy as something innovated up, rather than handed down. Many of us, myself included, went from a position of seeing the liturgy as our property as creators to our custody as servants. However, most of us didn't reach that conclusion overnight, but rather as a gradual process of accumulating a desire to propagate chant, Latin, quality choral music, etc. Or maybe we know someone on that road to discovery; maybe a guitarist who recently became disenchanted with versus populum Masses (I know such a one!), or a "progressive" individual with a fondness for chant.

We need to hit people where they're vulnerable. If someone has an interest in chant, let them learn about chant. If they are questioning the suitability of some modern genres at Mass, let them read what the Church and theologians say. If they are wondering about Latin, let them read about why it's used. Don't take an inquisitor and demand a full conversion! So I am proposing, for whomever wants to write them, a series of smaller tracts and FAQs on more specific topics for dissemination to more specific needs. A few that come to mind:

- The glory of Gregorian chant (why & how)
    - Suitability of different genres in Mass
    - The use of Latin in the Roman Rite
    - The proper role of instrumentation in the Mass
    - The use of propers
    - The necessity of sung dialog & prayers
    - Funeral music principles

The possibilities are endless, and we have a great many quality authors in the CMAA. In the meantime, by all means distribute the Sacred Music FAQ at any parish you visit, and make sure your parish's literature racks are filled with them! Throw out the copies of NCR if you have to ;)
  • Great idea, Gavin... sort of like a Sacred Music apologetics pamphlet series...
  • WJA
    Here's something I did for a talk I gave during our Advent program on chant. I shamelessly ripped off the graphic and much of the substance from the Sacred Music FAQ. I included the examples of chant at the end because I led my audience in some brief chanting. In retrospect, I should have cited the FAQ as a source somewhere, but neglected to do so in my haste. No offense intended.

WJA
  • Pes
    That's okay, WJA. Just fork over all your money, submit to our annual licensing fee, and don't even think about doing it again without a very good lawyer.

Pes Tilent, J.D.
    Sacred Music, Inc.

PS -- Gavin, how long should these things be?
  • An excellent idea! A contemporary version of John Henry Newman's 'Tracts for the Times'. In fact, several of us have thought that what the Catholic Church needs is a modern-day Oxford Movement of its own. Are we (the CMAA) it?
  • GavinGavin
    Pes: As long as is necessary. I rather liked some tracts I picked up from an orthodox church, they were small booklets about 16 pages long. I think 4-8 pages is plenty, preferably something that can be on a trifold. The key is content. Something to go more in depth than "The Church wants you to use chant", but not so much as to overwhelm. Another unfortunate feature of the SMFAQ, in my opinion: one reads it and finds about 20 things their parish does wrong! They don't know where to begin and despair. I just think some more topical literature would help with motivation, particularly when it ends with "what can I do?"
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I applaud the idea, Gavin. And wonderfully put, your description of growing to understand our position as custodians rather than creators.

I'd add only that I hope that such tracts would "look" Catholic in their presentation, in terms of "clip art." And, if it'd be possible to make those available for download and distribution, all the better.
  • GavinGavin
    My preference would be for the CMAA (or allied organization, maybe chabanel?) to just host these, and have them independently created. So I could send one in, Pes could send one in, etc. And if people think mine's useless and Pes's is great, they can use his and not mine. Nothing's stopping anyone from making music tracts, it's just a matter of having a place to "publish" them.
  • G
    Umm.... I have the strangest feeling of deja vue.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • kevinfkevinf
    what the Catholic Church needs is a modern-day Oxford Movement of its own. Are we (the CMAA) it?

Yes, there are some parallels between Newman's time and today.

Also, kudos to the blessed soul that said the liturgy is to be handed down, not innovated up. I have been saying that ever since my conversion from sacro-pop, trite texts and samba settings of psalms.(circa 1998)
  • It would be of extreme value to have something that could be sent to pastors to guide them in dealing with what we offer vs. what they are currently forced to deal with. To have enthusiastic support from people knowledgeable about liturgy rather than volunteers who want to play at having Mass done their way, with their themes, their personally favorite and most meaningful music, their fake deserts in lent, their fake waterfalls and streams at Easter.

And untrained musicians. Leading the congregation.
  • JamJam
    Aw, man. Tracts are cool, but y'all should hand out straight up CDs.

Some protestants used to come to my school and hand out Bibles and CDs of Praise and Worship music. The music was awful... I did actually listen to it (I was protestant at the time), but got rid of it after one listen.

However, put some awesome church music out there for people to hear, they'll get hooked, I swear. I haven't talked to a person yet who has heard Gregorian Chant in its full glory and does not think it is beautiful. Hand out the CDs with the tracts. If the mp3s are free, CDs are real cheap nowadays, and you can burn stuff on almost any computer. Maybe it would be too much work but... Sacred Music is something you gotta hear to get it. Maybe it'll get people thinking, "wouldn't that be awesome to worship to?" And teach 'em about it's history and place in the church in the tracts and they'll appreciate it even more!

/wishful thinking
  • WJA: What format is your "Chant Talk" supposed to be in? I get a bunch of garbage when I try to open it in Word '07.
  • chonakchonak
    In most cases, it's best to post documents as PDF files.

PDF is a much more widely portable format than MS-Word; it can be read by people who run Linux or Mac, and PDF is not a common transmission vector for computer viruses.
  • I love the way Clear Creek sends hundreds of thousands of chant CDs out. That is incredible.

best thing on the tract issue is just to write one and post it.
  • miacoyne
    Ok, here is one. (Hopefully my poor writing will give courage to others to write a better one.)

Tips for the catholic music directors who try to have better music in your church

1. Play Organ in every Mass.
    (or have an organist play it in Mass, and if you don't have an organ, do a fundraise to purchase one even if it takes time.)

How much organ in evey Mass is under your discretion when you start. You might want just a little for the the earliest morning Mass, and maybe a couple of hymn accompaniments for Mass with contemporary guitar band. Also try singing acapella with them.

2. Study Church documents on Sacred music and attend sacred music workshop

3. Give mendatory a day workshop on Sacred music to music ministry people and people who are interested in music ministry before you resume your season. ( It would be good to have your pastor present.)

4. Start Music Ministry corner in the church bulletin, if you don't have one yet.

Explain anything that helps people to learn about the sacred music and liturgy. You can start by explaining about 'Proper' and 'Ordinary' parts. (You will be amazed to know how many people don't know about this.) Quotes from Pope St. Pius X, Second Vatican coouncil, what they say about the Latin and the chants. Translation for the Introit for the next week so people know ahead. Why no instrumental music during Lent.... Anything to help people to know about sacred music.

(Well, Gavin, is this too specific? You thought FAQ was a bit too general. Just trying to see how much is too general and how much you want to be specific. One more thing we can add is to support future church musicians who are studying sacred music and help them to go to sacred music wortkshop. I think that' very important. Not kidding)
  • miacoyne
    I just remembered that Jeffrey and Arlene had many good articles, like "Why Sacred music Matter" A Pastoral Guide (I should be handing this to my pastor) and "Fourteen Easy Ways to Improve the Liturgy." I think it's the pastor and the MD who have to be educated and confident about the Sacred music first.
  • miacoyne
    I just handed this to my priest who values Church's tradition, but not quite sure about the music.

"An authentic renewal of sacred music can only happen in the wake of the great tradition of the past, of Gregorian chant and sacred polyphony"

Pope Benedict XVI

-- Cardinal Arinze, Prefect for the Congregation of Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments

"We should do our best to appreciate the language which the Church uses in her liturgy and to join our hearts and voices to them, according as each liturgical rite may indicate. All of us cannot be Latin speakers, but the lay faithful can at least learn the simpler responses in Latin. Priests should give more attention to Latin so that they celebrate Mass in Latin occasionally. In big churches where there are many Masses celebrated on a Sunday or Feast day, why can one of those Masses not be in Latin? In rural parishes a Latin Mass should be possible, say once a month. In international assemblies, Latin becomes even more urgent."

He had a look of surpirse, which surprised me. He said thank you. I also told him that I was very shocked when I said to my friend that I went to EF mass, she asked whether it is a catholic church. She is not just a Sunday catholic. She is also very active in my parish. When I said the Church says this. She has a look, what Church? The Church means to her is the local church only and listen to our pastor is what we do. If our local priests don't deliver the message from the Church, people don't have any idea what she says. (sorry, taking too much space here.)
  • WJA
    Chris Allen: WJA: What format is your "Chant Talk" supposed to be in? I get a bunch of garbage when I try to open it in Word '07.

chonak: In most cases, it's best to post documents as PDF files.

Here you go: Chant Talk (the handout for my audience) and Chant Talk-Notes (my notes for the talk) in PDF. This was for a 15 minute talk, really quick, that was combined with a 15 minute talk on Church Latin beforehand. My theme was summed up in this sentence in my notes: "So it can be said that the letter and the spirit of Vatican 2 calls on the laity to learn to sing the Mass in chant, in Latin."

After about 10 minutes of talking, we spent 5 minutes singing the well-known Sanctus from the Requiem Mass, and then I answered some questions and showed off a copy of the Graduale Romanum. It was fun, but I wish I had had more like an hour so that I could really get into the singing.

WJA
  • miacoyne
    WJA
    This is excellent.

At the end, two examples of O clemens, and saecula, were you showing to explain quilisma and porrectus?
  • WJA
    Thanks.

As to your question, I blew them up in size so that people could see clearly what they look like. Those are the two notes that seem to confuse people the most, I guess because the quilisma looks like a tremolo and the porrectus looks like a slur.

WJA