Catholic composers?
  • Kathy
    Am I right in thinking these composers were all lifelong Catholics?

Byrd, Tallis, Palestrina, Victoria, Lassus

Thanks for your help!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Yes. Although, Byrd and Tallis were recusant; meanwhile, Lassus remained Catholic, but not dogmatically so, in turbulent times.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • mahrt
    Byrd left the service of the Chapel Royal and settled in Essex near an aristocratic Catholic family at mid-life. He produced three Masses and the Gradualia, a complete setting of the Proper of the Mass for twelve major feasts and several votive Masses, apparently for clandestine services in this household. This means that the performances were done by members of the extended household (probably quite accomplished), but not by such a great choir as the present Westminster Cathedral Choir, which often sings the music of Byrd--they sang the five-part Mass for the Mass celebrated by Pope Benedict on his visit to England.
    Tallis is a somewhat different question, and, as I understand it, his religious loyalties are not as clearly understood. Kerry McCarthy, who wrote a splendid book on Byrd, is at work on one on Tallis, and this should provide an interesting view.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks, especially for the new about Kerry McCarthy's forthcoming book on Tallis, Prof. Mahrt. I'm eagerly awaiting its release.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Dr. Mahrt,

What would you make of the claim that the evidence of Tallis' Catholic faith is in his compositional technique, since his Protestant confreres aimed for much simpler styles, in keeping with their Puritanical taste? (For example, even in a piece such as If Ye Love Me he uses a more Catholic style at the end than Protestant music would ordinarily allow.)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks for posting Episode 3, for it's superb.
    Thanked by 1Choirparts
  • The Palestrina & Victoria Episodes by the BBC are well done also.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0weaJgrnw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vi_hwGBCGk
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Indeed, these episodes are also very good.
    Thanked by 1Choirparts
  • Victoria was a priest, and Palestrina considered becoming one after the death of his first wife. The latter also spent a great deal of time in St. Philip Neri's fledgling Oratory.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Choirparts