Solesmes method help
  • I do not have an experienced schola or chant teacher to sing with, and am looking for some help.
    i have read up on the Solesmes method about marking icti and about the idea of rhythm in chant and so, from materials on the CMaa website, but I am not getting a handle on what it actually means in practice.
    As far as I can understand, it means, mark the notes in groups of two and three, in some way which indicates rhythm, but when you are actually singing don't let it make any difference whatsoever.
    now i know that I am missing something, but really feel what i need is someone who can show me an example and sing it through with me.
    anyone out there who knows and uses Solesmes method, willing to do a half hour of tutoring me for free?
    As I am in Ireland I mean by skype or voice chat or something like that.
  • Would also be happy with any recommended online tutorials? Have searched for this but not found it,
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Hi Bonnie,

I've worked with a Benedictine chant master and on my own with the Square Notes Workbook and other books and would be happy to help you with finding the ictus marks. There are some basic rules which you need to know which aren't difficult.

I also found it very helpful in the beginning to look at the Brager accompaniments for the propers which are notated according to the Solesmes method.

Are you singing the EF propers? Do you have a particular piece of chant you're working on now?

Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Thanks for the reference to the square notes workbook. i see one for sale on amazon.com, but it can't be posted to ireland, perhap i might be able to get my hands on it somewhere.

I have looked at the rules for marking the ictus- for example in the Parish book of chant.

My problem is that after that, what do I do with it? What chant I have learnt is from knowing how to read the music (pitch and length of notes etc) and listening to it sung, for example on youtube.

I know that the ictus stuff is meant to help me develop a rhythm for the chant, that it can b useful in teaching a new schola how to stay together, but for the life of me I can't work out why or how.

Thus the parish book of chant:

Marking all the ictuses helps the conductor and singers see the groups
    of twos and threes that form the basis of chant rhythm. This is further
    reinforced by counting out the resulting patterns, beginning with one on
    the ictus, followed by two and, as necessary, three on the non-ictic
    notes. Just as solfeggio reinforces the relative pitches of a melody,
    counting instills a clear sense of its underlying rhythm.

but the PBC also says

Of itself, the ictus is purely organizational, and indicates
    no qualitative change in the rendering of the note—not emphasis, not
    lengthening. The basic rhythmic groups of twos and threes are further
    combined to form larger groups that either tend to rise (arsis) or fall
    (thesis).

Well if it is purely organisational, what is it meant to convey to me as I sing?

And as for arsis theses, that is something wlse I have a question about..
    Which is why it seems to me if I could have someone who could sing m an example...

Thanks for the reference to the Brager by the way, very useful

• JulieCollJulieColl
    I think of the ictus as a point of slight emphasis which you "lean on" just a bit with your voice, just as you would the rhythmic beats when playing the piano. It's a very slight "push" on the ictic note, such that your voice falls away slightly on the consecutive note or notes. Does that make any sense?
    Thanked by 2bonniebede CharlesW
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It you take the Communion antiphon for Advent III, here are the ictus beats for the incipit which is pretty basic.

The first ictus mark is placed on the first note of the first neume, which is the downbeat.

The second ictus mark is placed on the first and third note of the second neume since it has four beats and there is no single note following it.

The third ictus is on the dotted punctum since it is a note of length.

So you have three groups of two beats each, which is pretty straightforward:

• Yes,that makes sense following the rules. So now what? what difference does it make musically as I sing it?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    You have to sing the notes with the ictus marks with a very slight "push" which, since it's in two's, is like reciting a trochaic meter of poetry: 1 2 1 2 1 2:

By the shining Big-Sea-Water, or if you want to use the Latin syllables:

Di-i ci-i i-i te-e
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • In the Solesmes method, the ictus is important for directing the choir (see Technique of Gregorian Chironomy by Robert Carroll on the musicasacra.com).

The ictus also plays a role in training the choir to follow the director's chironomy and sing with a unison voice. The book Basic Gregorian Chant and Sight Reading by Sr. Mary Demetria describes this training. Note that the expectation is that the choir will be taught to sight-sing chants in solfege. The rhythmic ictus is incorporated via hand motions in a kind of proto-chironomy.

The ictus does not by itself indicate that a note is stressed since emphasis of particular notes is determined by word accents, the melodic line and other Solesmes notations. The intended results of the method can be heard in Solesmes recordings from the Dom Gajard era. As someone pointed on another thread, you can't really sing the ictus any more than you can sing the measure bars in modern music.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The icti (ictuses...ictodes) are not supposed to sound accented or pulsed. I have described this to singers as "the driest martini." --- To make the driest martini, you pour gin while thinking about vermouth. To properly accent the ictus, you think about a pulse but you do not sing one.

The OP should also know --- if she doens't already --- that this entire methodology has largely been abandoned by "in the know" chant musicians. The intent of this system was to keep large groups of untrained amateur singers together.

If you need it for that, by all means. And don't let anyone make you feel bad for using it. But there are other, more current, ways of thinking about Gregorian chant rhythm.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    But it's still taught at the Chant Intensives.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood bonniebede
  • But it's not taught at Solesmes!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Bonnie, it's hard to explain in words what the ictus is as I've heard it demonstrated by the former Benedictine chant master I know. It is a very slight stress, but not so as to lengthen the note or over-accent it, but you do feel it, just as you would render the meter in a poem ---you don't want to beat it to death, and of course you want to pay attention to the natural word accents, but there is a rhythmical framework.

All I know is that learning to sing chant by the Benedictine method of my friend was a watershed moment for us. His chanting was light, flowing and serene, and that is what we have tried with his help to replicate, and following the ictus marks (which is basically being able to find the downbeats) has been the single most important component of learning that particular style of chant.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • BenBen

Yup, like adam said, as an older method for beginner singers
  • RobertRobert
    Dom Mocquereau (who more or less invented the concept) on whether the ictus is more in the mind than in the voice:

The ictus indicating the grouping of notes should be rendered as in any music of legato character, namely with infinite gradations of nuances.

a) Sometimes our ear is made aware of the subdivisions of the rhythm
    by a shade of intensity given to the icdic note itself.

b) At other times the subdivisions are veiled in mystery, hidden in the smooth legato of the phrase, and are perceived intuitively through the context.

c) In most cases, however, these secondary subdivisions disappear utterly, absorbed in the flow of the legato phrase and in the powerful undulations of the music as a whole. The ictic "touch" is then so tender, so caressing, as to become imponderable, a spiritual rather than a material force. The interior sense alone perceive it, if it be perceived at all.

[. . .]

The student should begin by giving the ictus a delicate shade of emphasis that can be heard. It will serve to sustain the voice as it passes from note to note. Gradually he should diminish the force of the ictus until, finally, it disappears materially, remaining merely a mental support, an intuition, a feeling for form.
    - Le nombre musical gregorian, pp. 433-434

So ideally - no stress or any other vocal marker on the ictus, most of the time, except if you're learning, and then only provisionally...
    Thanked by 2JulieColl bonniebede
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Well, here's a thought: the dear priest friend of ours who was a former Benedictine chantmaster, thought enough of the Solesmes method to teach it to us, and for us it was an indispensable breakthrough in being able to take every other member of our schola (who were all non-musicians) and achieve a unity of rhythm and sound. And of course he taught us not to hack the ictus marks to death, since it goes without saying that one is not supposed to sing chant in a choppy, stilted, staccato style like a second grader reciting a poem, and the rhythm must be subtle, just as a skilled speaker would deliver a metered poem in a seemingly effortless and graceful marriage of rhythm and text, but I would like to ask a few questions:

1) Has Solesmes officially repudiated the use of ictus marks?

2) If the use of ictus marks has been officially repudiated by the monks of Solesmes, would someone be kind enough to suggest a better way of providing the rhythmical framework by which one professional musician can teach eight non-musicians how to sing 5 Gregorian propers every Sunday (with only 20 minutes each week to rehearse the whole group?)

3) One last question I'm wondering about---if Solesmes has indeed officially repudiated their own method as no longer suitable or appropriate, on what basis can we have much confidence in the method they are currently using? In other words, if they were wrong then for so many years, how do we know for sure they're not wrong now? I'm just sayin'.

P.S. I'm no expert but it seems to me in this video of the monks at Fontgambault, the chantmaster is conducting by 2's and 3's, (See 10:40) and no beginners are they.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMjNevd2gXs
  • Carl DCarl D
    My personal understanding of the ictus has evolved significantly over the years. I generally now think of it as a method of keeping the schola together, singing with a unison voice. It helps the timing part of that equation, but not the pitch.

Most interesting, as the schola's skills improve, I find it far more useful to use the natural cadence of the stressed syllables as the launching point. Then for extended melismas, to use the groupings of the neumes themselves - they already suggest patterns of up to 4 notes or so. When the singers align their thinking around those, it becomes pretty easy to stay together rhythmically.

And honestly, it feels much more authentic to the music itself. There's probably a reason why it was written as a salicus rather than just 3 punctums smashed together.
  • RobertRobert
    JulieColl -

1) The horizontal episema last appeared in the Liber Hymnaries, where (confusingly) it was not supposed to indicate an ictus. Subsequent publications (Antiphonale Monasticum, Antiphonale Romanum) don't have the horizontal episema. Publications that reprint material from older editions (such as the Gregorian Missal) do have them though.

2) There may not be a better way for your particular purposes. Just be aware that the method has its limitations, and sometimes interferes with the authentic modal and textual character of the Gregorian repertoire.

3) It's funny, the Solesmes monastic choir never really adopted the Solesmes method in its entirety (old habits that predate Mocquereau die hard) and on contemporary recordings they sound pretty much the same as they always have.

Cardine has some fairly conclusive proofs demonstrating that certain of Mocquereau's interpretations (for example, of the salicus) have no basis in the manuscript evidence. This doesn't mean that Cardine is never wrong, but it does mean that we know the older method gets some things wrong. I don't think anyone seriously argues anymore that the Solesmes method restores the glorious tradition of singing from the middle ages, as the rhetoric of books from the previous century at times suggested. Newer theories are still hypotheses, but they have more explanatory power in light of the manuscript evidence.
  • > I do not have an experienced schola or chant teacher to sing with,
    > and am looking for some help.

Hummm... My first thought when I read your post: « Hey! I'll come and teach you. » Although being a bit far from you (England / Berkshire). Maybe some day...
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so much, Robert, for your scholarship and advice. It's very interesting about the claims that were made about the Solesmes method.

Thanks, Carl, for your valuable insight when you say that over time you begin looking at the groupings of the neumes instead of depending so much on the ictus marks. That is exactly what I've experienced as well.

However, it seems to me that one probably must be very familiar with the ictus rules before one can move to that step.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • matthewjmatthewj

Some chant intensives..

Since I was teaching the clergy track last winter chant intensive, I didn't sit in to most of Morse's talks, but I'm guessing he didn't focus much - if at all - on icti.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • BenBen
    Cole also covered some semiology in the advanced men at the colloquium.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • matthewjmatthewj

What does this mean?
  • chonakchonak
    Yellow journalism.
  • The ictus represents a persons musicality when singing chant. Where does the note go? Without it otherwise many people would and do sing meaningless notes after notes. A musician sings every note as a cellist plays to - giving each note a direction and a meaning. The person who created and drew in the Ictus had found a visible way to indicate music line, rhythm. Those who hate it may fear musicianship. Or want to keep it a secret, like magicians.
    Thanked by 2bonniebede JulieColl
  • As many will be aware, I am firmly ensconced in the semiological building. This makes me a gladsome disciple of Fr Columba, Dom Cardine, Dom Saulnier, et al. However, I am not hide-bound to their style, particularly as concerns the choral-tonal aesthetic which I cultivate in my singers of chant. I am also influenced heavily by such as Alberto Turco, and even Marcel Perez and others whose (more and less educatedly speculative) interpretations have a convincing aspect as regards what early chant likely sounded like, though (as we all know) pinning down with unquestioned certitude just exactly what fourth, eighth, eleventh, etc., century chant actually sounded like is an exercise in futility; but a futile attempt which will bear greater fruit than assuming that the romantics of the XIXth and XXth centuries had nailed it for us for all time! They didn't! Nor, I think, would they claim to have. Only their followers have. These followers are rather like a Frenchman of the XVIIth century who was absolutely certain that plainchant musical was the authentic chant for all time, or, ditto denizens of the Medicean era, the Pustet era, and on and on. This finality has never happened and never will.

In asserting that no school of interpretation can claim absolute authenticity (in relation to a given historical decade), it behooves none to behave as though his and her school of thought is definitive. There likely are, though, some that have greater claim to unbiased scholarship and rigourous academic research than others, and whose findings are likely (quite likely) less flawed than others, others, for instance, who put such painstaking effort into ferreting out that red herring called an ictus. It doesn't exist. The above quote from le nombre musical is yet another exercise in that most musically worthless and highly, wildly, subjective balderdash which characterises much of chant literature of the last century.

If, though, one likes locating this red herring and finds his results rewarding for one reason or another, then I will egg him on and listen respectfully to his interpretation. If it is truly artful, respectful of text, and accomplished with admirable musicianship, then I can but appreciate it on its own terms. I would do this much for the 'authentic' chant performances of any past century, whilst recognising that few, if any, of them resemble the aesthesis, the approach, and the motivations of the earliest scholas and cantors.

If one doesn't understand semiology and what it's all about, one will never understand what real chanting is, nor learn how truly to chant. It's all in those little squiggles, my friends. They tell you what to do with your voice, your intonation, your diction, your (very, very elastic) rhythm-tempo on every syllable of every word and clause. Square notes give you very little more than pitches (which are not in themselves chant), and digging around for red herring ictuses will get you nowhere. But if that is your idea of chant, do it well, and do it with consummate musicianship. Nuance is everything.

St Augustine (of Hippo) gives us this from his Confessions: 'The psalm was recited with such minute inflections that this recitation was more like speech than chanting'. Such was early chant, which, elsewhere, Augustine related as being almost unutterably beautiful. I'm sure, very sure, that were any of us present and asked his cantors how they located the ictus they would have said 'the wwhhhaaaaatt?'.
  • Thank you all for your insights.
    Since I am in the position of training young singers, who are coming along nicely as far as pitch and intonation goes, my pressing need is a way to inculcate that pleasing rhythmic flow into their singing of chant.
    sounds like anything designed to help inexperienced scholas to find a bit of unity and pleasing phrasing in their singing is exactly what I need. Very happy to think that out the other side of it there is a great world of nuance in which to play, but I am just trying to learn the next baby steps and keep you step ahead of the kids coming behind me.
    Appreciate all the effort put into answers.
    @Jacques - I visit England fairly often, I might take you up on that!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    MJO, thank you for your heartfelt words which are the most convincing explanation of the "little squiggles" that I've ever seen. I have some rudimentary understanding of semiology, but I'll have to keep digging to find what it is that makes you love it so much. It just seems like it would be difficult to transmit it to a schola who wasn't trained in the method unless they were an incredibly intuitive group.

It seems to me that the ictus marks help one to recognize the base units in chant, which are the neume configurations. I see them almost as the metrical feet in a poem.

For example, in this Sunday's Alleluia incipit, I automatically see two dactyls and a spondee which you'd scan something like this: / - - / - - //

Of course you add the units together in a seamless way as you would a string of pearls, but it's the ictus marks which enable one to identify the base units.
  • tomjaw
    Square Notes Workbook...

I would get a copy here, (N.B. UK based religious bookstore) they will ship to Ireland but check the rates Northern Ireland will be cheaper!

http://www.cenacle.co.uk/square-notes-a-workbook-in-gregorian-chant.html
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • @tomjaw thanks, its on its way. Much appreciated.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    In the syllabic/neumatic contexts of "Dicite" and "Alleluia" above the ictus doesn't seem to be telling anything that one doesn't already know. Try various ways of singing the penultimate word of this Sunday's offertory Deus tu convertens "…da nobis." It makes quite a difference whether one chooses to think of the re as the peak of the phrase or as an ornamental neighbor tone!
  • Richard is right to point out the utter unecessity of these red herrings ictuses in the above examples. Not only are they purely editorial (non-historic) markings with no precedence in the paleography of chant notation, they are confusing. Confusing because they imply (at least to me) a rather stolid performance of groups of two and three neumes more or less equalist in execution (the which to imply is precisely their inauthentic purpose!). Whether the performance is done as a seamless string of pearls or not, that is not what is implied by the notation. The alleluya's torculus should receive a certain push on the first part of the neume and an increase in 'tempo' towards the slightly arrested final part. Ditto the performance of 'dicite' in the above example. None of this exists in the mind of those who imagine that they are following a method with a current Solesmes pedigree. Too, the cephalicus which expresses the first syllable of 'alleluya' should rather quickly enter into a briefly vocalised 'L' for the lower, liquescent part of the neume, yielding something similar to 'ah-LL-Le...'. The red h ictus placed here would never betray such an approach. In fact this is not the first of a 'three note' group. It begins an energetic drive that is not released until the last syllable of the word has been vocalised. This is more nuance that is foreign to our ictites and not-Solesmes-method enthusiasts, but is quite obvious in the light of paleographic familiarity. Even those who are quite happy, thank you, following the not-Solesmes-method should obtain, read, and inwardly digest Dom Cardine's Gregorian Semiology. They might find their eyes opened! (And, I fully expect that someone will challenge my own solutions here. I claim no infallibility.)
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • About those squiggles! I, too, once thought of them as irrelevant primitive signals for when to go up and down, precursors of the square notation that gave real musical information, that is, pitches... what note to sing. Quite the contrary. It is the squiggles that give the most valuable musical information. Nuance. Vocal inflection. Rhetorical gestures of the voice. When to speed up, slow down, or keep steady, and all sorts of other really exciting stuff that got omitted and was thought archaic when square notes gave us pitches but little else. An ancient rhetorical art was lost, and we came to think that chant was a series of roughly equal note values droned out with little or no excitement. By the high middle ages the chant was sung at a snail's pace, all the slower, yet, on important feasts. An aesthetic utterly foreign to genuine chanting had evolved. Other fads have attracted us in succeeding centuries, until finally we come to the not-Solesmes-method, which, really, is just another one of those fads - one that happened (unfortunately for chant) to be enshrined in the likes of the LU and popularised as the Ward Method. If one follows the LU rules one achieves a kabuki-like, paint-by-number version of what is supposed to be real chant as described by Augustine. It can be beautiful in that self-referential way that any talented artist can present almost any medium at his or her disposal, but, in relation to chant in all its vibrant, rhetorical, elastic and declamatory, dramatic and contemplative glory, it is a pale vestige. Those squiggles can seem daunting and confusing. Following them requires somewhat more imagination and musical intuition, and an acute rhetorical sense, than ferreting out red herrings that impose rhythms foreign to real chant. I recommend that every one should tackle at least a basic understanding of them. Your chant will never be the same. As Fr Columba so often says that Guido said, 'we need the square notes to tell us what pitches to sing, but the old neumes to tell us how to sing them'.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This is all very illuminating in more ways than one.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Re: the faulty string of pearls analogy, I didn't mean a string of exactly uniform cultured pearls, but more like a string of baroque black pearls, each being slightly different because it is really not possible to classify every group of two and three square notes precisely.

I like comparing the groups of 2's and 3's to the different disyllabic, trisyllabic and tetrasyllabic feet in poetry, but of course that is faulty, too, since there are configurations which one can't scan in such a neat and precise way.

The way I see the ictus mark is a way of defining where each musical figure begins and ends. I don't otherwise see how one can make sense of a vast ocean of square notes unless there is some method of classifying the basic units in some way, and using ictus marks makes perfect sense to me since it so much like scanning classical poetry so it works for me very well.

(begin purple bold) For semiologists, of course, the basic principles are different than the basic principles of the Solesmes method, and we see how the disciples of each method might be tempted to be "fundamentalists" in their own method and treat the rules of their method as "absolute values".

But those of us in each camp who believe we possess the absolute truth of chant performance must resist the temptation to sully nonbelievers in our method through slander and defamation. Musical fundamentalism must be combated. It is not religious, God is lacking, it is idolatrous. (end purple bold)
  • I always wonder how semiologists are singing the Ordinary of the Mass for which no neumes are present; just think of such melismatic pieces as Kyrie II from the Editio Vaticana. I asked my chant teacher that question and her answer was rather vague (something about flowing IIRC).
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • I wonder that too, when preparing the schola for mass. Allowing as how the congregation haven't had the benefit of tutelage and are not likely to be enchanted with the niceties of chant scholarship, I always do the ordinary in a more or less 'conventional' manner, meaning just letting it sing itself in the way graspable by the people.

If I sang chant (very regularly) with a given congregation over a number of years
    I might introduce them to some niceties of performance. I do not doubt that they would be capable and like it, but it would take time and a mutually respectful relationship. Never doubt what 'the people' can do.

More germane to Protasius' question. Where there are no historic neumes one can still apply semiology by the awareness of what neume and context the square neume evolved from and sing it accordingly. Even some of the propers (such as the recent Christ the King) have no ancient neumes, so it's sort of a challenge to apply a semiological approach to them. But doing so will yield a better result than the rules of the LU.

On another level, extending Protasius' thinking: for one who is generally sensitive to 'period authenticity' is it proper to apply paleological semiology to chants written in the XIIth or later centuries? These would undoubtedly have been both conceived of and performed at a very equalist snails pace which got even slower at phrase endings. One mediaeval scholar (I forgot who, it might have been Hermannus of Reichnau) even railed against the habit of people singing aiches between every note of melismatic passages. Ha! Does anyone remember that that is exactly how many choirs sang Handel et al. only a few generations ago?
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bonniebede
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    When I first learned about square notes, my understanding was that the notation let you know what notes to sing, but these did not indicate duration, that the actual melody was passed down from chant master to chant master over the generations
  • So it was for some time. By the high middle ages this tradition was lost.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    That's why I was unwilling to try and sing chant without some type of formal learning.
  • incantuincantu
    Why learn where to place the ictus when notes with the ictus are not supposed to be sung any differently? That's a good question. I think the best and simplest answer is that the ictus marks the beginnings of groups of notes that are examples of either arsis or thesis—that is, rising or falling action—in traditional Gregorian chironomy (conducting).

The conductor may not change the tempo in between beats one and two, since beat one leads directly to beat two. They cannot change the tempo between beats two and three, since beat two leads directly to beat three. The only places the conductor may change the tempo are between beats two and one or between beats three and one. If there were no organization of beats according to the ictus, the traditional Gregorian chironomy would be meaningless to the singer/observer.
  • Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • (Purple:)
    Hmmmm, I see! ...... Beats, eh? ...... In chant, yet.

(Not purple:)
    I've not run across this concept in any
    writings even near contemporary to early chant performance or transmission.
    A strange concept, indeed!
    Could you cite early sources?
    Is it possible that such is what Augustine meant by 'minute inflections'
    and the implication of sprechgesang? (Not likely!)
    (Nor do arsis and thesis require beats for their expression.)

Those who might like an easier introduction to semiology before jumping into Cardine's Gregorian Semiology, might investigate Chant Made Simple, by Robert M Fowells (Paraclete Press), which has Fr Columba's imprimatur.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Here is an example of "beat" being used in the context Gregorian chant from p. 15 of The Solesmes Method by Dom Joseph Gajard (1960):
    THE SOLESMES METHOD
    Free Musical Rhythm
    PART I
    FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES
    What are the fundamental principles of the Solesmes Method? Here they are, and merely to state them will show how greatly they differ from those of speech rhythm.
    1) Gregorian rhythm is specifically of a musical nature and is not the rhythm of speech.
    2) Every step in the rhythmical synthesis is clearly defined: (a) the indivisible primary beat; (b) elementary rhythms and binary and ternary compound beats; (c) composite rhythms.
    3) There is complete independence of rhythm and stress.
    4) Hence there is complete independence of the rhythmic ictus and the tonic accent, and rhythm which is entirely free in its movement.
    5) The words are subordinate to the melody.
    6) Traditional interpretation and expression are followed. These are based on the concordant evidence of the oldest manuscripts.
    I shall take up each of these points briefly, since I cannot give them the full treatment they require here.

The Introduction Rules for Interpretation to the Liber Usualis also uses the term "beat" in the same way as used by incantu.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • 5. The words are subordinate to the melody.

Herein lies the foundational difference between the Liber Usualis method and one based on paleographical reference (semiology). In the latter it is the text for which the melos is a handmaiden which aids the rhetorical delivery of the sacred text. Speech-song is precisely what chant is all about. It is not for nothing that our neuma (signs) have their origin in those of the ancient schools of rhetoric rather than in letter notation indicating pitch which characterised Graeco-Roman musical notation. I shant belabour this any further lest I give offense where none is intended. Few of us are going to alter their commitments to one or the other of these fundamentally opposite approaches.

(P.S.: I asked for a citation of early (as in very historic) sources referencing the concept of beats. The above example by Gajard is quite mid-XXth century and its assertions do not at all relate to what we learn from early writings and neumes.)
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for your explanations, MJO. I have always appreciated semiological scholarship, but it just seems a bridge too far when you have limited time and must work with mostly non-musicians. For our schola, our aims have been uniformity, lightness, movement and consistent phrasing. We have made enormous technical progress, but I know there is a whole world of meaning in the propers that we have not touched. You have inspired me to keep digging.
  • Thank you, Julie.
    And Godspeed in your work.
    May it be an inspiration to your scholars and to those who hear them -
    and, may our Heavenly Father be pleased.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That is the aim, venerable brother. : ) I have been so affirmed lately by something Mrs. Ward said about the power of Gregorian chant, especially in my own experience with the propers since we have little in the way of material resources in our Latin Mass community, but we have the most glorious music we can muster, lots of sweet babies in the congregation and a splendid corps of altar servers.

This is the extraordinary passage from Mrs. Ward:

"During the past ten years I have had frequent opportunity to observe the formative effect of Gregorian chant upon young and old, and its infallible power to bring about a vigorous renewal of the Christian spirit. In a village of Italy the awful cataclysm of World War II had completely transformed the people. Everywhere among them there was discord, strive, quarrels, hatred instead of the unity they had once known.

Religious ceremonies had no meaning for the people. All contact between the soul of the priest and the soul of the people was wanting. The great need was to reconstitute this contact by calling the people to take part in the divine liturgy, and thus form a group tending towards a single aim. This miracle has been accomplished by the Gregorian school.

The divine prayer of Sunday, intoned with that lightness, delicacy and soaring quality, ended by uniting the whole people. All took part in an attitude of devotion. It was as if Jesus were saying, "Peace be with you." The eucharistic hymn with its solemn and majestic rhythm ended by enveloping all hearts. The contact was re-established; priest and people were no longer isolated, and the liturgy had regained its inexhaustible force in the education of the people."
  • ryandryand
    I have always appreciated semiological scholarship, but it just seems a bridge too far when you have limited time and must work with mostly non-musicians.

You can always sing it to them, and explain in non-technical terms. Break it down into smaller sections and demonstrate how you'd like it to be sung. "Rush through these notes, slight pause here, like this..."