Detroit's new archbishop!
  • marajoymarajoy
    Let's open a bottle of champagne for Detroit's new archbishop!
    http://www.aodonline.org/AODOnline/News+++Publications+2203/Press+Releases+2303/2007+News+Releases+15478/VigneronNamedArchbishop.htm

for those who aren't familiar with him, here's all you need to know:
    http://www.adoremus.org/0400-Johansen.html

Especially since the archdiocese of Detroit is so influential on the rest of Michigan, things might (finally!) be starting to look good for Catholics in Michigan!

Does anyone have any (more recent?) anecdotes or articles about Bishop Vigneron to help us get an idea of who he is, particularly in his liturgical leanings?
  • BruceL
    Soon-to-be Abp. Vigneron gave a talk at the Gateway Liturgical Conference this year on Liturgiam Authenticam and how its principles shaped the new missal. I must say with charity, it was a very dry talk, but excellent. With due respect to His Excellency, for someone who is "on board" with the reform and docile to the teachings, it was a great talk, but everyone else seemed a little bored because of the presentation. Now, that is more fault of the listener than Vigneron, but an observation. He presented the information in an attractive, positive manner, stressing the continuity of reform, much as Msgr. Marini has done with the Holy Father's recent changes in Papal liturgies. While not the guns-a'blazin'-type of reformer, I think you're right: he'll be very good for the archdiocese.
  • eft94530eft94530
    marajoy: "anecdotes or articles about Bishop Vigneron"

http://www.catholicvoiceoakland.org/
    Bishop's Column (among tabs beneath banner)
    Back Issues (among items in left column)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:www.catholicvoiceoakland.org/+vigneron&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=
  • I wished I could have gone to the new Metropolitan's talk. I was up in St. Louis for a work-related conference and the only time I could get away was to hear Archbishop Malcolm Ranjith speak on Ars Celebrandi. His talk was magnificent.

Gee, two great prelates: the new Metropolitan and our South Texas auxiliary bishop, Daniel Flores. I wish we could get bishop Flores back, though. Detroit should not have to get all of the spoils.
  • Cantor
    Vigneron oversaw the construction of the new cathedral in Oakland....so, he would appear to be a fan of modern church architecture.
  • chonakchonak
    When the initial design for that cathedral was done under Bp. Vigneron's predecessor, I expected the cathedral to be awful, so I'm inclined to give Bp. V credit for improving the result.

For those who haven't seen pictures, I posted some links to architectural reviews here:
    http://catholiclight.stblogs.org/archives/2008/10/new-cathedral-i.html

and Fr. Keyes, who likes it quite a bit, blogged about it here:
    http://gasparian.stblogs.org/archives/2008/09/cathedral-of-ch-1.html
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Cathedral in Oakland = rabbit hole.

C'mon folks, focus!
  • GavinGavin
    David, not so - have you seen the Detroit Cathedral? Oakland is very relevant. Incidently, my icon is from the Detroit cathedral - both organs in there are fine instruments.

Actually I have it on good authority that Vigneron is a good lover of at least quality organ music. This shows promise.
  • B. Vigneron wasn't "in" Oakland long enough to make lasting legacy. And Oakland is just as challenging a see as any on the planet.
    However, I will never forget his effort at the end of a USCCB plenum agenda issue three years ago to try and not table a discussion about the role of the Propers. Just before his brothers demurred the discussion of essentially a "white list" of acceptable texts of hymns/songs for RC worship to the sees of Vlazny and George, aka OCP and GIA, Vigneron rose to remark for the record that eventually the Church in the U.S. will have to face both the letter and the spirit of the rubrics clearly found in MS, the CSL and GIRM, with their clear and present heirarchies. No, he wasn't on fire or carring Joan of Arc's sword, but it was a proud moment for this Oaklander that someone had actually read those documents thoroughly long before STtL was born.
  • Wow, how do you follow all of this Charles? That's great information. I had no idea.
  • I just happened to be watching EWTN's coverage at the time, Jeffrey. I'm sure my recollection is accurate and can be verified in the minutes, if one wanted to do that legwork.
    But despite the deck being stacked and my personal disgust that the bishops couldn't be bothered to personally engage in a public airing of their liturgical dirty undies, that Vigneron thought it important enough to draw official note (via Parliamentary procedure) to this most important of issues to CMAA and such interested stakeholders.
    Symbolic gesture in intent or reality? Doesn't matter. Someone needs to call the American bishops to account on this issue.
    I do remember sending my own bishop a letter, via the Vicar General, a two page letter in advance of the plenum, that sought to advise our pastor that this "white list issue" would surface on the agenda and recommended that he be aware of the emergent dialogues about publishers' domains, the need to acknowledge the "native" elements of RC worship that have been suppressed by the common practices of the last two generations, etc. I received a polite thank you, duly noted letter of reply. That is on my record.
    Now whether B. Vigneron can, say, pick up the mantle of American Liturgics that was vacated upon the promotion of Ab. Burke, remains to be seen. There's a lot to do in Detroit as there is everywhere. But his bully pulpit is, face it, larger in Motown than Oaktown.
  • What? No hat tip or love to ol' Chaz via NLM article?
    While my bow tie gently weeps...
  • eft94530eft94530
    Nov 2007 USCCB meeting was fed to the internet by EWTN.
    I was watching because of the "Sing To The Lord" discussion and ballot.
    Bp Vigneron was at the microphone about this document too.
    During the vote my internet connection reset.
    I have not yet discovered any online video archives of these meetings.
  • eft94530eft94530
    http://www.ewtn.com

(television, internet feed)

The installation of the Most Reverend Allen H Vigneron
    as the Fifth ArchBishop of the ArchDiocese of Detroit Michigan
    Live:
    Wed Jan 28, 2009 @ 2:00 pm ET (11:00 am PT)
    Encore:
    Thu Jan 29 2009 @ 12:00 am ET (Wed 9 pm PT)
  • Charles-
    A high note will be sung in your honor during tonight's practice. I remember something about this, too, think I came in during Abp. Vigneron's remarks. How can we get quietly courageous priests and bishops to rise near the level of a teenage peasant girl from France? Much prayer and support, I suppose. Oh, and the stunningly beautiful liturgies brought out by the CMAA is helping, too.

Motown/Oaktown- hee hee.
  • "think I came in during remarks" via EWTN, of course. I have no idea to be there in person and snore through the 'how to use the technology' talks.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    He celebrated Confirmations today according to the 1962 rite at St. Josaphat!

Even more congrats to Detroit!