Chrism Mass Propers Composition Contest
  • Just a reminder, the deadline for submitting your entry in the CRCCM Chrism Mass Propers Composition Contest is November 30. The prize for submitting the winning composition is $1,500.

For more information, click here.
    Thanked by 2Kathy BruceL
  • While I can see what you're going at, I really don't think it's an apples to apples comparison. All rights for each composition remain with the composer—even the winning composition. A major impetus for the contest was to stir up new works on texts that have limited—or no—use outside of a cathedral. This is the first year we've done this, and not all details are codified, but I would hope that all who submitted would have the opportunity to share their work—and details on licensing it's use—with member cathedrals.

I think it's a bit much to point the finger of exploitation in this instance...
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • You might be right.

Anything to do with "creative output + contest" can leave a bad taste in some people's mouths; that might be all there is to it.
  • BruceL
    The chances I would do anything for this (because of lack of time!) are between 0-1%, but are current cathedral musicians excluded from participation?
  • All are welcome to participate. If you enter, and I highly encourage you to, you wouldn't be the first member to enter.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • BruceL
    Thanks, Marc. It would mean me spending vacation composing...so unless I start feeling inspired...

It seems as if the contest is wanting psalm tone/fauxbourdon/Anglican chant verses, though, or am I crazy? Those are long texts!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I have issues with the way this competition has been described. Here is what The Roman Missal has to say about the nature of the Chrism Mass (my emphasis added):
    4. This Mass, which the Bishop concelebrates with his presbyterate, should be, as it were, a manifestation of the Priests’ communion with their Bishop. Accordingly it is desirable that all the Priests participate in it, insofar as is possible, and during it receive Communion even under both kinds. To signify the unity of the presbyterate of the diocese, the Priests who concelebrate with the Bishop should be from different regions of the diocese.

And here are are the words describing what is desired for music submitted for this competition (again, my emphasis added):
    Because of the festive nature of the Chrism Mass, additional instruments would commonly be added and include brass, tympani and woodwinds. Less common would be a string orchestra, though solo string players would not be uncommon.

The Entrance Antiphon with psalm verses is to be set for congregation, choir and organ in a responsorial style with optional independent instrumental parts [preferably brass quintet or quartet & timpani]. Ideally the antiphon is set for congregational singing with the psalm verses for choir and or a cantor. Solo or choral verses would be welcome.

The Communion Antiphon with psalm verses is to be set for congregation, choir and organ in a responsorial style. Optional instruments are desirable but not required for the setting of this antiphon and psalm. Ideally the antiphon is set for congregational singing with the psalm verses for choir and or a cantor.

My question is, where does this Mass being, as it were, a manifestation of the Priests' communion with their Bishop turn into something of a festive nature - in the midst of Holy Week? Brass, tympani, and woodwinds? And maybe string instruments? The Entrance Antiphon and, especially, the Communion Antiphon, with or without Psalm verses (okay, with Psalm verses, since that is requested) are not music for some glorious Pomp & Circumstance style procession. This is music for the Church, during Holy Week, not a Hollywood Cecille B. DeMille or John Williams theatrical event ... or is it?

Yes, the Gloria is said (sung), but: This is a solemn, not festive, occasion. And the music should reflect that.
  • I also thought that the encouragement of Brass, etc., was a bit odd for a mass on Holy Thursday.

I think that for many people, Easter is not what it could be, precisely because we let too much of the joy of Easter creep in to and supplant the penitence of Lent. (I am aware that some such slippage is prescribed, and for good reason. My gut tells me that brass and tympani on Holy Thursday is too much.)
  • MatthewRoth
    Also, a work of that nature is prone to slipping away from the influence of the Gregorian chant of the text one is setting.
  • chonakchonak
    The Gloria is said or sung at the Chrism Mass, so it isn't totally out of place to consider it a festive celebration of Mass. On the other hand, it is still Lent until the Triduum begins in the evening.

The congregation is likely to consist mainly of priests (including concelebrants) and religious, so it's reasonable to expect that chant-like music is familiar to the congregation.
  • At my cathedral (and other places I know), Chrism Mass is not on Holy Thursday or even during Holy Week. There are pros and cons with that - one pro being that in our largely rural diocese priests would have great difficulty gathering for Chrism Mass and then getting back to their own parish to start the Triduum. Given (for us) that it's outside of Holy Week and a large gathering, it does have a fairly festive character.

It's also worth keeping the space in mind. In a small space, a brass quintet is roof-raising. In a very large space brass can add color and depth to the sound without being "in your face". In addition, while I understand concerns here, I don't like to draw a dichotomy between "solemn" and "festive".
  • The congregation is likely to consist mainly of priests (including concelebrants) and religious, so it's reasonable to expect that chant-like music is familiar to the congregation.
    In my diocese, there is probably an equal number of priests and lay faithful, since most pastors seem to deputize a lay representative from their parish to receive the holy oils after Mass and take them back to the parish.

The diversity of the congregation at the Chrism Mass presents challenges to those planing the music for that occasion. Familiar tunes and antiphons/refrains that can be readily repeated after the cantor or choir seem to work well for the congregation.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Choirparts