Rant on BCM (bad catholic music)...makes one laugh... And cry
  • He is spot on in speaking of the 'massacre of music'....
    he might well have added that liturgy was 'burned at the stake'.
  • stulte
    God bless Father. He's one of the first priests I've heard clearly state that liturgical music is prayer. This folks, is the reason why church music is so hotly contested. It's not about the music per se, but the fact that different kinds of music express a different approach to prayer and the spiritual life. There's a crisis in church music because there's a crisis in the prayer life of Catholics.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • I certainly agree with a lot of it. I think there is more reason for hope than he allows.

Next, priests tend not to know much about music. I know a few priests who are exceptions, of course, but a) they are few and b) they are not young.

The ones I know tend to be young. This fact gives me some hope. But, alas, I also do see the 'wishing to avoid fights' of which he speaks. Still, there may come a time when these priests are the ones whose views must be respected lest a fight break out. Or so I shall continue to hope.

the young guys don’t know Latin.

At least in these parts, there is a resurgence in Latin in schools. I spoke with a local high school Latin teacher just the other day and he was thrilled that finally he can spend his entire day, in one school, teaching nothing but Latin. I.e., demand is up. (Anecdotal, I know.)

• Liam
    There's a bubble of Latin every generation. It waxes. And wanes.
  • ghmus7
    Here's a great quote from one if the comments:
    I think there may be other BCM applications we are over looking. Now that water boarding is off the table, BCM may provide a viable alternative for information acquisition.
  • I'd say BCM used for information acquisition would be against the Geneva Convention - but then again, Calvin and co. we're singing some strange stuff in Geneva back in the day. . .
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Some years ago I read of some whales that had gotten stranded in a coastal area of Alaska and were in danger of being grounded. A call from the navy to some musical animal psychiatrical person yielded the advice to broadcast music from the ships and the whales would follow them out to sea. So, they played music and the animals became agitated but did not follow. When the navy asked its animal expert why the music had not worked its charms he asked what music they had played. Why, rock, of course. (Idiots!) They were then told that the music had to be Beethoven or some such. So, Beethoven was played from speakers on the ships and, voila, the whales, duly charmed, followed the ships out to sea. I expect the results might have been similar if the navy had played BCM instead of rock. And, maybe GCM would have been as irresistable to these giants of the sea as was Beethoven. (What is it about hideous and cheap music of any style that attracts most people like flies, while they will balk and rebel at something better - it must be low self-esteem, if not outright self-hatred.)
  • francis
    What is it about hideous and cheap music of any style that attracts most people like flies...

The strong odor?
  • rich_enough
    There's a bubble of Latin every generation. It waxes. And wanes.

The same could said of the missionary work, concern for the poor, and devotions like the rosary. In fact, religious fervor waxes and wanes. Most people - myself included - just get by. Meantime things like greed, gossip, and non sequiturs never seem to go out of style.

Really good things rarely have a mass following.
  • francis
    The Latin bubble was popped by VII and all that is left is a dried up soap stain on a side altar. Read my next post for a greater insight into said subject: Ecumania...
  • We have to be willing to convert people to Catholicism and, therefore, risk having them walk away from us because our message is toooo haaaard.

Our architecture for our churches reflects who and what we believe the Church to be. Our vessels and vestments and other Church appointments both reveals and reinforces what we believe happens at Holy Mass.

So does our liturgical music.

A constant stream of shallow, crappy music that was bad even when it was new, will by now have eroded the faithful into something bloodless, weak and shapeless. Compound that will a church – rather, worship space – that looks like a municipal airport cum movie theatre, cheap vessels, lack of decorum, egalitarian notions of “ministry”, pointless abstract windows, constant yakking and distractions and… over, say, 40 years you will wind up with… what?

The Catholic Faith? The Catholic Faith that can help people get to heaven while withstanding the assault of the world, the flesh and the Devil?

A couple generations are gone now. Are we going to ruin yet another?

The entirety of the deposit of faith can be found in the Mass. Change something in the Mass, and you run the real risk of changing the faith: lex orandi, lex credendi.

The Mass was how the deposit of faith was transmitted from generation to generation, and how Catholics learned how to be Catholic, what it meant to be Catholic, and derived their identities as Catholics from it. To the Mass are linked all of the other Sacraments in some way. The Mass contains the deposit of faith in its entirety.